Median Stable Matching for College Admission
AbstractWe give a simple and concise proof that so-called generalized median stable matchings are well-defined stable matchings for college admissions problems. Furthermore, we discuss the fairness properties of median stable matchings and conclude with two illustrative examples of college admissions markets, the lattices of stable matchings, and the corresponding generalized median stable matchings.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Unitat de Fonaments de l'Anàlisi Econòmica (UAB) and Institut d'Anàlisi Econòmica (CSIC) in its series UFAE and IAE Working Papers with number 632.04.
Date of creation: 18 Nov 2004
Date of revision: 16 Feb 2006
Matching; College admissions problem; Stability; Fairness.;
Other versions of this item:
- C78 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Game Theory and Bargaining Theory - - - Bargaining Theory; Matching Theory
- D63 - Microeconomics - - Welfare Economics - - - Equity, Justice, Inequality, and Other Normative Criteria and Measurement
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2004-11-22 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Roth, Alvin E., 1985. "The college admissions problem is not equivalent to the marriage problem," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 36(2), pages 277-288, August.
- Barbera Salvador & Gul Faruk & Stacchetti Ennio, 1993.
"Generalized Median Voter Schemes and Committees,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 61(2), pages 262-289, December.
- Roth, Alvin E, 1984. "The Evolution of the Labor Market for Medical Interns and Residents: A Case Study in Game Theory," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 92(6), pages 991-1016, December.
- Roth, Alvin E & Xing, Xiaolin, 1994. "Jumping the Gun: Imperfections and Institutions Related to the Timing of Market Transactions," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 84(4), pages 992-1044, September.
- Ma, Jinpeng, 1996.
"On Randomized Matching Mechanisms,"
Springer, vol. 8(2), pages 377-81, August.
- Bettina Klaus & Flip Klijn, 2003.
"Procedurally Fair and Stable Matching,"
36, Barcelona Graduate School of Economics.
- H. Moulin, 1980. "On strategy-proofness and single peakedness," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 35(4), pages 437-455, January.
- Roth, Alvin E & Sotomayor, Marilda, 1989. "The College Admissions Problem Revisited," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 57(3), pages 559-70, May.
- Roth, Alvin E & Vande Vate, John H, 1990. "Random Paths to Stability in Two-Sided Matching," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 58(6), pages 1475-80, November.
- Roth, Alvin E, 1991. "A Natural Experiment in the Organization of Entry-Level Labor Markets: Regional Markets for New Physicians and Surgeons in the United Kingdom," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 81(3), pages 415-40, June.
- Boudreau, James W. & Knoblauch, Vicki, 2014. "What price stability? Social welfare in matching markets," Mathematical Social Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 67(C), pages 27-33.
- Klaus, Bettina & Klijn, Flip, 2008.
"Smith and Rawls Share a Room: Stability and Medians,"
009, Maastricht University, Maastricht Research School of Economics of Technology and Organization (METEOR).
- Bettina Klaus & Flip Klijn, 2010. "Smith and Rawls share a room: stability and medians," Social Choice and Welfare, Springer, vol. 35(4), pages 647-667, October.
- Bettina Klaus & Flip Klijn, 2009. "Smith and Rawls Share a Room: Stability and Medians," Harvard Business School Working Papers 09-111, Harvard Business School.
- Michael Schwarz & M. Bumin Yenmez, 2009. "Median Stable Matching," NBER Working Papers 14689, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Horstschräer, Julia, 2012. "Decentralizing university admission: Evidence from a natural experiment," ZEW Discussion Papers 12-076, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Bettina Klaus & Flip Klijn, 2007.
"Smith and Rawls Share a Room,"
315, Barcelona Graduate School of Economics.
- Bettina Klaus & Flip Klijn, 2007. "Smith and Rawls Share a Room," UFAE and IAE Working Papers 706.07, Unitat de Fonaments de l'Anàlisi Econòmica (UAB) and Institut d'Anàlisi Econòmica (CSIC).
- Klaus, Bettina & Klijn, Flip, 2007. "Smith and Rawls Share a Room," Research Memorandum 026, Maastricht University, Maastricht Research School of Economics of Technology and Organization (METEOR).
- Schwarz, Michael & Yenmez, M. Bumin, 2011. "Median stable matching for markets with wages," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 146(2), pages 619-637, March.
- Kominers, Scott Duke, 2010. "Matching with preferences over colleagues solves classical matching," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 68(2), pages 773-780, March.
- James Boudreau & Vicki Knoblauch, 2013. "Preferences and the price of stability in matching markets," Theory and Decision, Springer, vol. 74(4), pages 565-589, April.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Xavier Vila).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.