Market Strategies in Branded Dairy Product Markets
AbstractThis paper documents the extent of cooperative penetration into branded dairy product markets and presents case study evidence on competitive strategies in the skim/low fat milk, whole milk, cottage cheese, butter, margarine, and ice cream markets. We employ data for 51 local market areas from the Information Resources, Inc. "Supermarket Review" data base for 1988 and 1989. Using national data, we identify the twenty top brands (by volume sales) and all cooperatives that market one or more brands in each of the above categories, and report their national market shares, averages prices, number of local markets in which they are sold, and a summary of their local rankings. Using local data for selected brands, we graphically analyze how prices, quantities, and shares change over time in particular markets. We find that cooperatives have much stronger positions in local markets than their national market shares indicate. When looking at the brand share-price relationships for particular brands across local markets, we find examples of positive, negative, and no relationships.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Connecticut, Food Marketing Policy Center in its series Research Reports with number 25149.
Date of creation: 1994
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 1376 Storrs Road, Unit 4021, Storrs, CT 06269-4021
Phone: (860) 486-1927
Fax: (860) 486-2461
Web page: http://www.fmpc.uconn.edu/
More information through EDIRC
Agribusiness; Industrial Organization; Livestock Production/Industries; Marketing;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Connor, John M & Peterson, Everett B, 1997. "Market-Structure Determinants of National Brand-Private Label Price Differences of Manufactured Food Products: Reply," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 45(2), pages 225-26, June.
- Franklin, Andrew W. & Cotterill, Ronald W., 1994. "Pricing and Market Strategies in the National Branded Cheese Industry," Research Reports 25170, University of Connecticut, Food Marketing Policy Center.
- Cotterill, Ronald W., 1994. "Scanner Data: New Opportunities For Demand And Competitive Strategy Analysis," Agricultural and Resource Economics Review, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 23(2), October.
- Ronald W. COTTERILL, 1997. "The Performance Of Agricultural Marketing Cooperatives In Differentiated Product Markets," Department of Resource Economics Regional Research Project 964, University of Massachusetts.
- Francesco Torrisi & Gianluca Stefani & Chiara Seghieri, 2006. "Use of scanner data to analyze the table wine demand in the Italian major retailing trade," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 22(3), pages 391-403.
- Junko Kinoshita & Nobuhiro Suzuki & Tamotsu Kawamura & Yasuhito Watanabe & Harry M. Kaiser, 2001. "Estimating own and cross brand price elasticities, and price-cost margin ratios using store-level daily scanner data," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 17(4), pages 515-525.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.