Use of scanner data to analyze the table wine demand in the Italian major retailing trade
AbstractWhile the utilization of scanner data for food demand analyses has become increasingly popular in the United States, few food demand studies, and in particular none on table wine, have been conducted using scanner data in Italy. This paper presents a first attempt to estimate a demand system for selected brands of red tetra-packaged, plastic packaged, and bag-in-box table wine using scanner data providing new and useful insights into the marketing of Italian wine. Price and expenditure elasticities of Italian red table wine demand drawn from a linear almost ideal demand system are provided. Results suggest a partially loyal market of table wine, showing a tendency to substitution across brands and a degree of competition among the leading brands. [EconLit citations: Q110, Q130]. © 2006 Wiley Periodicals, Inc. Agribusiness 22: 391-403, 2006.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. in its journal Agribusiness.
Volume (Year): 22 (2006)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/journal/10.1002/(ISSN)1520-6297
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Peterson, Everett B. & Cotterill, Ronald W., 1998.
"Incorporating Flexible Demand Systems in Empirical Models of Market Power,"
25159, University of Connecticut, Food Marketing Policy Center.
- Everett B. Peterson & Ronald W. Cotterill, 1998. "Incorporating Flexible Demand Systems in Empirical Models of Market Power," Food Marketing Policy Center Research Reports 043, University of Connecticut, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Charles J. Zwick Center for Food and Resource Policy.
- Langan, Glenn E. & Cotterill, Ronald W., 1994. "Estimating Brand Level Demand Elasticities and Measuring Market Power for Regular Carbonated Soft Drinks," Working Papers 116168, Regional Research Project NE-165 Private Strategies, Public Policies, and Food System Performance.
- Dhar, Tirtha Pratim & Chavas, Jean-Paul & Gould, Brian W., 2002. "An Empirical Assessment of Endogeneity Issues In Demand Analysis for Differentiated Products," Research Reports 25227, University of Connecticut, Food Marketing Policy Center.
- Cotterill, Ronald W. & Haller, Lawrence E., 1994. "Market Strategies in Branded Dairy Product Markets," Research Reports 25149, University of Connecticut, Food Marketing Policy Center.
- Fioriti, Linda & Marchini, Andrea & Diotallevi, Francesco & Pampanini, Rossella, 2012. "Obesity Epidemics: The Potential Role of Retailing Sector in Promoting Fruit and Vegetable Consumption," 2012 International European Forum, February 13-17, 2012, Innsbruck-Igls, Austria 144964, International European Forum on Innovation and System Dynamics in Food Networks.
- Fioriti, Linda & Marchini, Andrea & Diotallevi, Francesco & Pampanini, Rossella, 2012. "Obesity epidemic: the role of retailing sector in promoting fruit and vegetable consumption," MPRA Paper 43279, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Fioriti, Linda & Diotallevi, Francesco & Marchini, Andrea & Pampanini, Rossella, 2012.
"Le problematiche socio-economiche dell'obesità nel sistema agroalimentare: il ruolo della GDO nelle scelte di acquisto e di consumo di frutta e verdura
[Socio-economic problems of obesity in the a," MPRA Paper 40479, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Vitor Joao Pereira Domingues Martinho, 2012. "Consumers behavior of Portuguese wine," Papers 1301.2169, arXiv.org.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.