Asymmetric Response of Retail Milk Prices in the Northeast Revisited
AbstractRetail milk price responses to farm price changes were analyzed for Boston, Massachusetts, and Hartford, Connecticut. Prior research concluded asymmetries did not exist in the response of retail fluid milk prices to changes in farm prices. This study finds transmission rates were greater for the Compact period (100 – 120 percent) than the Pre-Compact period (66 – 88 percent). Short-run asymmetries were apparent. Retail prices responded rapidly to farm price increases, but slowly to farm price decreases. This study also finds evidence of long-run asymmetry. When equivalent farm price increases and decreases occur, retail prices do not return to the same levels that were observed before the price changes. Such long-run asymmetry was not observed in prior empirical studies of retail prices in the Northeast.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Connecticut, Food Marketing Policy Center in its series Research Reports with number 149026.
Date of creation: 2005
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 1376 Storrs Road, Unit 4021, Storrs, CT 06269-4021
Phone: (860) 486-1927
Fax: (860) 486-2461
Web page: http://www.fmpc.uconn.edu/
More information through EDIRC
asymmetry; fluid milk; retail prices; farm-to-retail price margins; Demand and Price Analysis; Q110; Q130; L110;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- Q11 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Aggregate Supply and Demand Analysis; Prices
- Q13 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Agricultural Markets and Marketing; Cooperatives; Agribusiness
- L11 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Production, Pricing, and Market Structure; Size Distribution of Firms
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Verboven, Frank, 1997. "Collusive behavior with heterogeneous firms," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 121-136, May.
- Engle, Robert F. & Yoo, Byung Sam, 1987. "Forecasting and testing in co-integrated systems," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 143-159, May.
- Benaissa Chidmi & Rigoberto A. Lopez & Ronald W. Cotterill, 2005.
"Retail oligopoly power, dairy compact, and Boston milk prices,"
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 21(4), pages 477-491.
- Chidmi, Benaissa & Lopez, Rigoberto A. & Cotterill, Ronald W., 2004. "Retail Oligopoly Power, Dairy Compact, And Boston Milk Prices," Food Marketing Policy Center Research Reports 083, University of Connecticut, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Charles J. Zwick Center for Food and Resource Policy.
- Chidmi, Benaissa & Lopez, Rigoberto A. & Cotterill, Ronald W., 2004. "Retail Oligopoly Power, Dairy Compact, And Boston Milk Prices," Research Reports 25212, University of Connecticut, Food Marketing Policy Center.
- Reagan, Patricia B. & Weitzman, Martin L., 1982. "Asymmetries in price and quantity adjustments by the competitive firm," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 410-420, August.
- Azzeddine M. Azzam, 1999. "Asymmetry and Rigidity in Farm-Retail Price Transmission," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 81(3), pages 525-533.
- Popović, Rade & Radovanov, Boris & Jeremić, Marija, 2013. "Volatile World Milk Prices and Its Affect to National Market- Case of Serbian Milk Market," 135th Seminar, August 28-30, 2013, Belgrade, Serbia 160393, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Lopez, Elena & Lopez, Rigoberto, 2008.
"Demand for Differentiated Milk Products: Implications for Price Competition,"
149929, University of Connecticut, Food Marketing Policy Center.
- Elena Lopez & Rigoberto A. Lopez, 2009. "Demand for differentiated milk products: implications for price competition," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 25(4), pages 453-465.
- Elena López & Rigoberto A. López, 2008. "Demand for differentiated milk products: Implications for price competition," Alcamentos 0805, Universidad de Alcalá, Departamento de Economía..
- Elena Lopez & Rigoberto A. Lopez, 2008. "Demand for Differentiated Milk Products: Implications for Price Competition," Food Marketing Policy Center Research Reports 104, University of Connecticut, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Charles J. Zwick Center for Food and Resource Policy.
- Gervais, Jean-Philippe, 2007.
"Disentangling non-linearities in the long- and short-run price relationships: An application to the U.S. hog/Pork supply chain,"
7743, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 15 Jan 2008.
- Jean-Philippe Gervais, 2011. "Disentangling nonlinearities in the long- and short-run price relationships: an application to the US hog/pork supply chain," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 43(12), pages 1497-1510.
- Abbassi, Abdessalem & Tamini, Lota D. & Gervais, Jean-Philippe, 2011.
"Do inventories have an impact on price transmission? Evidence from the Canadian chicken industry,"
30868, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Abdessalem Abbassi & Lota D. Tamini & Jean‐Philippe Gervais, 2012. "Do Inventories Have an Impact on Price Transmission? Evidence From the Canadian Chicken Industry," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 28(2), pages 173-186, 03.
- Stewart, Hayden & Blayney, Donald P., 2010.
"Retail Dairy Prices Fluctuate with the Farm Value of Milk,"
2010 Annual Meeting, July 25-27, 2010, Denver, Colorado
60947, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Stewart, Hayden & Blayney, Donald P., 2011. "Retail Dairy Prices Fluctuate with the Farm Value of Milk," Agricultural and Resource Economics Review, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 40(2), August.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.