Price Transmission And Asymmetric Adjustment In The Spanish Dairy Sector
AbstractAsymmetric threshold error correction models are used to analyze price relationships and patterns of transmission among farm and retail markets for a variety of dairy products in Spain. Our empirical analysis is conducted using both weekly and monthly price data. Our results suggest that the transmission of shocks is largely unidirectional, running from the farm to retail levels. Formal tests confirm asymmetries, though our results suggest that the effects of these asymmetries are modest. Implications for the organizational structure of Spanish dairy markets are offered.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association) in its series 2002 Annual meeting, July 28-31, Long Beach, CA with number 19622.
Date of creation: 2002
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Teresa Serra & Barry Goodwin, 2003. "Price transmission and asymmetric adjustment in the Spanish dairy sector," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 35(18), pages 1889-1899.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Goodwin, Barry K. & Grennes, Thomas J. & Craig, Lee A., 2002. "Mechanical Refrigeration and the Integration of Perishable Commodity Markets," Explorations in Economic History, Elsevier, vol. 39(2), pages 154-182, April.
- Hahn, William F., 1990. "Price Transmission Asymmetry in Pork and Beef Markets," Journal of Agricultural Economics Research, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service, issue 4.
- Goodwin, Barry K. & Harper, Daniel C., 2000.
"Price Transmission, Threshold Behavior, And Asymmetric Adjustment In The U.S. Pork Sector,"
Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics,
Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 32(03), December.
- Harper, Daniel C. & Goodwin, Barry K., 1999. "Price Transmission, Threshold Behavior, And Asymmetric Adjustment In The U.S. Pork Sector," 1999 Annual meeting, August 8-11, Nashville, TN 21666, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Bailey, DeeVon & Brorsen, B. Wade, 1989. "Price Asymmetry In Spatial Fed Cattle Markets," Western Journal of Agricultural Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 14(02), December.
- Engle, Robert F & Granger, Clive W J, 1987. "Co-integration and Error Correction: Representation, Estimation, and Testing," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(2), pages 251-76, March.
- Nathan S. Balke & Thomas B. Fomby, 1992.
9209, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas.
- Enders, Walter & Granger, Clive W J, 1998.
"Unit-Root Tests and Asymmetric Adjustment with an Example Using the Term Structure of Interest Rates,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 16(3), pages 304-11, July.
- Enders, Walter & Granger, C. W. J., 1998. "Unit Root Tests and Asymmetric Adjustment with an Example Using the Term Structure of Interest Rates," Staff General Research Papers 1388, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Johansen, Soren & Juselius, Katarina, 1990. "Maximum Likelihood Estimation and Inference on Cointegration--With Applications to the Demand for Money," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 52(2), pages 169-210, May.
- S McCorriston & CW Morgan & AJ Rayner, 2001. "Price transmission: the interaction between market power and returns to scale," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 28(2), pages 143-159, June.
- Azzeddine M. Azzam, 1999. "Asymmetry and Rigidity in Farm-Retail Price Transmission," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 81(3), pages 525-533.
- Barry K. Goodwin & Nicholas E. Piggott, 2001.
"Spatial Market Integration in the Presence of Threshold Effects,"
American Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 83(2), pages 302-317.
- Goodwin, Barry K. & Piggott, Nicholas E., 1999. "Spatial Market Integration In The Presence Of Threshold Effects," 1999 Annual meeting, August 8-11, Nashville, TN 21489, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Lo, Ming Chien & Zivot, Eric, 2001. "Threshold Cointegration And Nonlinear Adjustment To The Law Of One Price," Macroeconomic Dynamics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 5(04), pages 533-576, September.
- Theodosios B. Palaskas, 1995. "Statistical Analysis Of Price Transmission In The European Union," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 46(1), pages 61-69.
- repec:cup:macdyn:v:5:y:2001:i:4:p:533-76 is not listed on IDEAS
- Barry K. Goodwin & Matthew T. Holt, 1999. "Price Transmission and Asymmetric Adjustment in the U.S. Beef Sector," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 81(3), pages 630-637.
- Douglas J. Miller & Marvin L. Hayenga, 2001. "Price Cycles and Asymmetric Price Transmission in the U.S. Pork Market," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 83(3), pages 551-562.
- Reagan, Patricia B. & Weitzman, Martin L., 1982. "Asymmetries in price and quantity adjustments by the competitive firm," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 410-420, August.
- Koop, Gary & Pesaran, M. Hashem & Potter, Simon M., 1996. "Impulse response analysis in nonlinear multivariate models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 74(1), pages 119-147, September.
- Johansen, Soren, 1988. "Statistical analysis of cointegration vectors," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 12(2-3), pages 231-254.
- Holm, Thore & Loy, Jens-Peter & Steinhagen, Carsten, 2012. "Bio Auch Bei Der Preissetzung: Konsummilch In Deutschland," 52nd Annual Conference, Stuttgart, Germany, September 26-28, 2012 137159, German Association of Agricultural Economists (GEWISOLA).
- RumaÌnkovÃ¡, R., 2014. "Asymmetry in Price Transmission of the Czech Wheat Agri-food Chain," AGRIS on-line Papers in Economics and Informatics, Czech University of Life Sciences Prague, Faculty of Economics and Management, vol. 6(1), March.
- Gervais, Jean-Philippe, 2007.
"Disentangling non-linearities in the long- and short-run price relationships: An application to the U.S. hog/Pork supply chain,"
7743, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 15 Jan 2008.
- Jean-Philippe Gervais, 2011. "Disentangling nonlinearities in the long- and short-run price relationships: an application to the US hog/pork supply chain," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 43(12), pages 1497-1510.
- Pede, Valerien O. & Valera, Harold Glenn A. & Alam, Mohammad Jahangir & McKenzie, Andrew M., 2013. "Nonlinearities in Regional Rice Prices in the Philippines: Evidence from a Smooth Transition Autoregressive (STAR) Approach," 2013 Annual Meeting, August 4-6, 2013, Washington, D.C. 150246, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Abbassi, Abdessalem & Tamini, Lota D. & Gervais, Jean-Philippe, 2011.
"Do inventories have an impact on price transmission? Evidence from the Canadian chicken industry,"
30868, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Abdessalem Abbassi & Lota D. Tamini & Jean‐Philippe Gervais, 2012. "Do Inventories Have an Impact on Price Transmission? Evidence From the Canadian Chicken Industry," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 28(2), pages 173-186, 03.
- Octavio Fernández Amador & Josef Baumgartner & Jesús Crespo Cuaresma, .
"Milking the Prices: The Role of Asymmetries in the Price Transmission Mechanism for Milk Products in Austria,"
WIFO Working Papers
- Octavio Fern?ndez-Amador & Josef Baumgartner & Jes?s Crespo-Cuaresma, 2010. "Milking The Prices: The Role of Asymmetries in the Price Transmission Mechanism for Milk Products in Austria," Working Papers 2010-21, Faculty of Economics and Statistics, University of Innsbruck.
- Hassouneh, Islam & Radwan, Amr & Serra, Teresa & Gil, José M., 2012. "Food scare crises and developing countries: The impact of avian influenza on vertical price transmission in the Egyptian poultry sector," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(3), pages 264-274.
- Hassouneh, Islam & Serra, Teresa & Gil, Jose Maria, 2009. "Price transmission in the Spanish bovine sector: the BSE effect," 2009 Conference, August 16-22, 2009, Beijing, China 50121, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Ihle, Rico & von Cramon-Taubadel, Stephan, 2008. "A Comparison of Threshold Cointegration and Markov-Switching Vector Error Correction Models in Price Transmission Analysis," 2008 Conference, April 21-22, 2008, St. Louis, Missouri 37603, NCCC-134 Conference on Applied Commodity Price Analysis, Forecasting, and Market Risk Management.
- Serra, Teresa, 2011. "Food scare crises and price volatility: The case of the BSE in Spain," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(2), pages 179-185, April.
- Ying Cao & Yuehua Zhang, 2012. "Hog insurance adoption and suppliers' discrimination: A bivariate probit model with partial observability," China Agricultural Economic Review, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 4(2), pages 233-255, May.
- Holm, Thore & Steinhagen, Carsten & Loy, Jens-Peter, 2010. "Preistransmission Für Konsummilch Und Butter In Den Verschiedenen Distributionskanälen Des Lebensmiteleinzelhandels," 50st Annual Conference, Braunschweig, Germany, September 29-October 1, 2010 93954, German Association of Agricultural Economists (GEWISOLA).
- Özgür Bor & Mustafa Ýsmihan & Ahmet Bayaner, 2013. "Price Asymmetry in Farm-Retail Price Transmission in the Turkish Dairy Market," Working Papers 2013/12, Turkish Economic Association.
- Zoltan Bakucs & Jan Falkowski & Imre Ferto, 2012. "Does Farm and Processing Industry Structure Matter for Price Transmission? Some Evidence From Transition Countries: A Comparison of Dairy Sectors in Hungary and Poland," IEHAS Discussion Papers 1212, Institute of Economics, Centre for Economic and Regional Studies, Hungarian Academy of Sciences.
- Popović, Rade & Radovanov, Boris & Jeremić, Marija, 2013. "Volatile World Milk Prices and Its Affect to National Market- Case of Serbian Milk Market," 135th Seminar, August 28-30, 2013, Belgrade, Serbia 160393, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Bakucs, Lajos Zoltan & Falkowski, Jan & Ferto, Imre, 2012.
"What causes asymmetric price transmission in agro-food sector? Meta-analysis perspective,"
86th Annual Conference, April 16-18, 2012, Warwick University, Coventry, UK
134765, Agricultural Economics Society.
- Zoltan Bakucs & Imre Ferto & Jan Falkowski, 2013. "What causes asymmetric price transmission in agro-food sector? Meta-analysis perspective," IEHAS Discussion Papers 1303, Institute of Economics, Centre for Economic and Regional Studies, Hungarian Academy of Sciences.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.