Assessing Korean Consumers’ Valuation for Domestic and Imported Rice: Importance of Country of Origin and Food Miles Information
AbstractThe aim of this paper is to determine Korean consumers’ valuation for domestic rice and imported rice from China and the US. Using revealed preference data from random nth price auction mechanism, our results generally suggest that consumers’ willingness to pay (WTP) for domestic rice is higher than the WTP for imported rice. Results also suggest that while country of origin and food miles information positively influences consumers’ WTP for domestic rice, country of origin information provides higher valuation for domestic rice than food miles information. Country of origin and food miles information has no statistically significant effect on WTP for the imported Chinese rice product but food miles information has a negative effect on WTP for the imported US rice product. Implications of the findings for rice industries for Korea, the US and China are discussed.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Southern Agricultural Economics Association in its series 2012 Annual Meeting, February 4-7, 2012, Birmingham, Alabama with number 119817.
Date of creation: Jan 2012
Date of revision:
Rice; Country of origin information; Food mile information; Experimental auction; Agricultural and Food Policy; Demand and Price Analysis; Food Consumption/Nutrition/Food Safety;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- W. Bruce Traill, 2004. "Effect of information about benefits of biotechnology on consumer acceptance of genetically modified food: evidence from experimental auctions in the United States, England, and France," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 31(2), pages 179-204, June.
- David L. Dickinson, 2004. "Negative Values in Vickrey Auctions," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 86(1), pages 222-235.
- Noussair, Charles & Robin, Stephane & Ruffieux, Bernard, 2004.
"Revealing consumers' willingness-to-pay: A comparison of the BDM mechanism and the Vickrey auction,"
Journal of Economic Psychology,
Elsevier, vol. 25(6), pages 725-741, December.
- Noussair, C.N. & Ruffieux, B. & Robin , S., 2004. "Revealing consumers' willingness to pay: A comparison of the BDM mechanism and the vickrey auction," Open Access publications from Tilburg University urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-377937, Tilburg University.
- List, John A, 2003.
"Using Random nth Price Auctions to Value Non-market Goods and Services,"
Journal of Regulatory Economics,
Springer, vol. 23(2), pages 193-205, March.
- John List, 2003. "Using random nth price auctions to value non-market goods and services," Framed Field Experiments 00173, The Field Experiments Website.
- Frode Alfnes, 2009. "Valuing product attributes in Vickrey auctions when market substitutes are available," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 36(2), pages 133-149, June.
- Jay R. Corrigan & Matthew C. Rousu, 2006.
"The Effect of Initial Endowments in Experimental Auctions,"
0601, Kenyon College, Department of Economics.
- Jay R. Corrigan & Matthew C. Rousu, 2006. "The Effect of Initial Endowments in Experimental Auctions," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 88(2), pages 448-457.
- Ji Yong Lee & Doo Bong Han & Rodolfo M. Nayga Jr & Song Soo Lim, 2011. "Valuing traceability of imported beef in Korea: an experimental auction approach," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 55(3), pages 360-373, 07.
- Shogren, Jason F. & Margolis, Michael & Koo, Cannon & List, John A., 2001. "A random nth-price auction," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 46(4), pages 409-421, December.
- Jayson Lusk & T Feldkamp & T Schroeder, 2004.
"Experimental auction procedure: Impact on valuation of quality differentiated goods,"
Artefactual Field Experiments
00097, The Field Experiments Website.
- Ty Feldkamp & Ted C. Schroeder, 2004. "Experimental Auction Procedure: Impact on Valuation of Quality Differentiated Goods," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 86(2), pages 389-405.
- Lusk,Jayson L. & Shogren,Jason F., 2007.
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521671248.
- Peterson, Hikaru Hanawa & Yoshida, Kentaro, 2004. "Quality Perceptions and Willingness-to-Pay for Imported Rice in Japan," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 36(01), April.
- repec:feb:artefa:0069 is not listed on IDEAS
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.