Using Random nth Price Auctions to Value Non-market Goods and Services
AbstractPublic policy decision making often requires balancing the benefits of a policy with the costs. While regulators in the United States and abroad rely heavily on benefit-cost analysis, critics contend that hypothetical bias precludes one of the most popular benefit estimation techniques--contingent surveys--from providing reliable economic values for nonmarket goods and services. This paper explores a new methodology to obtain the total value of nonmarket goods and services--random nth price auctions. The empirical work revolves around examining behavior of 360 participants in a competitive marketplace, where subjects naturally buy, sell, and trade commodities. The field experiment provides some preliminary evidence that hypothetical random nth price auctions can, in certain situations, reveal demand truthfully. Copyright 2003 by Kluwer Academic Publishers
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Journal of Regulatory Economics.
Volume (Year): 23 (2003)
Issue (Month): 2 (March)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=100298
Other versions of this item:
- John List, 2003. "Using random nth price auctions to value non-market goods and services," Framed Field Experiments 00173, The Field Experiments Website.
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Arnaud Dragicevic & David Ettinger, 2011.
"Private Valuation of a Public Good in Three Auction Mechanisms,"
- Dragicevic Arnaud Z. & Ettinger David, 2011. "Private Valuation of a Public Good in Three Auction Mechanisms," Journal of Benefit-Cost Analysis, De Gruyter, vol. 2(2), pages 1-29, April.
- Han, Doo Bong & Nayga, Rodolfo M., Jr. & Lee, Ji Yong & Yoon, Jong Min, 2012. "Assessing Korean Consumers’ Valuation for Domestic and Imported Rice: Importance of Country of Origin and Food Miles Information," 2012 Annual Meeting, February 4-7, 2012, Birmingham, Alabama 119817, Southern Agricultural Economics Association.
- Steven D. Levitt & John A. List, 2008.
"Field Experiments in Economics: The Past, The Present, and The Future,"
NBER Working Papers
14356, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Levitt, Steven D. & List, John A., 2009. "Field experiments in economics: The past, the present, and the future," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 53(1), pages 1-18, January.
- Steven Levitt & John List, 2009. "Field experiments in economics: The past, the present, and the future," Artefactual Field Experiments 00079, The Field Experiments Website.
- Poole, Nigel D. & Marti'nez, Laura Marti'nez-Carrasco & Gimenez, Fernando Vidal, 2007. "Quality perceptions under evolving information conditions: Implications for diet, health and consumer satisfaction," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 32(2), pages 175-188, April.
- Veronika Andorfer & Ulf Liebe, 2012. "Research on Fair Trade Consumption—A Review," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 106(4), pages 415-435, April.
- Carlberg, Jared G. & Froehlich, Eve J., 2011. "Effects of Elicitation Method on Willingness-to-Pay: Evidence from the Field," Journal of Food Distribution Research, Food Distribution Research Society, vol. 42(2), July.
- Hellyer, Nicole Elizabeth & Fraser, Iain & Haddock-Fraser, Janet, 2010. "Food Choice, Nutritional Information And Functional Ingredients: An Experimental Auction Employing Bread," 115th Joint EAAE/AAEA Seminar, September 15-17, 2010, Freising-Weihenstephan, Germany 116424, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Dragicevic, Arnaud & Ettinger, David, 2011. "Private Valuation of a Public Good in Three Auction Mechanisms," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/6445, Paris Dauphine University.
- Laurent Muller & Bernard Ruffieux, 2011. "Do price-tags influence consumers’ willingness to pay? On the external validity of using auctions for measuring value," Experimental Economics, Springer, vol. 14(2), pages 181-202, May.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.