Abatement costs for agricultural nitrogen and phosphorus loads: a case study of South-Western Finland
AbstractDesigning efficient agri-environmental policies for agricultural nutrient load reductions calls for information on the costs of emission reduction measures. This study develops an empirical framework for estimating abatement costs for nutrient loading from agricultural land. Nitrogen abatement costs and the phosphorus load reductions associated with nitrogen abatement are derived for crop farming in southern Finland. The model is used to evaluate the effect of the Common Agricultural Policy reform currently underway on nutrient abatement costs. Results indicate that an efficiently designed policy aimed at a 50 % reduction in agricultural nitrogen load would cost $25 to $28 million, or $1995 to $2197 per farm.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by MTT Agrifood Research Finland in its series Discussion Papers with number 11867.
Date of creation: 2006
Date of revision:
Environmental Economics and Policy;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Berntsen, J. & Petersen, B. M. & Jacobsen, B. H. & Olesen, J. E. & Hutchings, N. J., 2003. "Evaluating nitrogen taxation scenarios using the dynamic whole farm simulation model FASSET," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 76(3), pages 817-839, June.
- Johansson, Robert C. & Gowda, Prasanna H. & Mulla, David J. & Dalzell, Brent J., 2004. "Metamodelling phosphorus best management practices for policy use: a frontier approach," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 30(1), pages 63-74, January.
- Line Block Hansen & Lars Gårn Hansen, 2012.
"Can Non-point Phosphorus Emissions from Agriculture be Regulated efficiently using Input-Output Taxes?,"
IFRO Working Paper
2012/4, University of Copenhagen, Department of Food and Resource Economics.
- Line Hansen & Lars Hansen, 2014. "Can Non-point Phosphorus Emissions from Agriculture be Regulated Efficiently Using Input-Output Taxes?," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 58(1), pages 109-125, May.
- Laukkanen, Marita & Huhtala, Anni, 2006.
"Optimal Management of a Eutrophied Coastal Ecosystem: Balancing Agricultural and Municipal Abatement Measures,"
11856, MTT Agrifood Research Finland.
- Marita Laukkanen & Anni Huhtala, 2008. "Optimal management of a eutrophied coastal ecosystem: balancing agricultural and municipal abatement measures," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 39(2), pages 139-159, February.
- Laukkanen, Marita & Nauges, Celine, 2010.
"Environmental and production cost impacts of no-till: Estimates from observed behaviour,"
114th Seminar, April 15-16, 2010, Berlin, Germany
61077, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Laukkanen, Marita & Nauges, Céline, 2009. "Environmental and Production Cost Impact of No-Till: Estimates from Observed Behavior," TSE Working Papers 09-125, Toulouse School of Economics (TSE).
- Marita Laukkanen & NAUGES CÃ©line, 2009. "Environmental and production cost impacts of no-till: estimates from observed behavior," LERNA Working Papers 09.28.304, LERNA, University of Toulouse.
- Marita Laukkanen & Céline Nauges, 2012. "Evaluating greening farm policies: A structural model for assessing agri-environmental subsidies," Working Papers 40, Government Institute for Economic Research Finland (VATT).
- Timo Kuosmanen & Marita Laukkanen, 2011. "(In)Efficient Environmental Policy with Interacting Pollutants," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 48(4), pages 629-649, April.
- Helin, Janne, 2008. "Environmental protection of agriculture -clash of policies?," 107th Seminar, January 30-February 1, 2008, Sevilla, Spain 6468, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Vesterinen, Janne & Pouta, Eija, 2008. "Water recreation benefits from reduced eutrophication in Finnish surface waters," 2008 International Congress, August 26-29, 2008, Ghent, Belgium 43848, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Hyytiäinen, Kari & Huhtala, Anni, 2011. "Combating eutrophication in coastal areas at risk for oil spills," MPRA Paper 38087, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Halkos, George, 2013. "Cost-effectiveness analysis in reducing nutrient loading in Baltic and Black Seas: A review," MPRA Paper 52296, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Helin, Janne, 2009. "Does geography matter in nutrient abatement? Bioeconomic model of heteregoneus farm nutrient loads," 2009 Conference, August 16-22, 2009, Beijing, China 51693, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Kuosmanen, Timo & Laukkanen, Marita, 2009. "(In)Efficient Management of Interacting Environmental Bads," Discussion Papers 54287, MTT Agrifood Research Finland.
- Hyytiainen, Kari & Ahtiainen, Heini & Heikkila, Jaakko & Helin, Janne & Huhtala, Anni & Iho, Antti & Koikkalainen, Kauko & Miettinen, Antti & Pouta, Eija & Vesterinen, Janne, 2009. "An integrated simulation model to evaluate national policies for the abatement of agricultural nutrients in the Baltic Sea," Discussion Papers 49896, MTT Agrifood Research Finland.
- Helin, Janne & Tattari, Sirkka, 2010. "How much can be gained by optimizing nutrient abetment spatially – Cost – efficiency comparison of non – point arable loads from different Finnish watersheds," 120th Seminar, September 2-4, 2010, Chania, Crete 109381, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Iho, Antti & Laukkanen, Marita, 2009. "Dynamically Optimal Phosphorus Management and Agricultural Water Protection," Discussion Papers 54285, MTT Agrifood Research Finland.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.