Invasive Species Management: Foot-and-Mouth Disease in the U.S. Beef Industry
AbstractA conceptual bio-economic framework that integrates dynamic epidemiologicaleconomic processes was designed to analyze the effects of invasive species introduction on decision-making in a livestock sector (e.g., production and feeding). The framework integrates an epidemiological model, a dynamic livestock production model, domestic consumption, and international trade. The integrated approach captures producer and consumer responses to, and welfare outcomes of, livestock disease outbreaks, as well as alternative invasive species management policies. Scenarios of foot-and-mouth disease are simulated to demonstrate the usefulness of the framework in facilitating invasive species policy design.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by International Association of Agricultural Economists in its series 2006 Annual Meeting, August 12-18, 2006, Queensland, Australia with number 25490.
Date of creation: 2006
Date of revision:
bio-economics; livestock; invasive species; foot-and-mouth disease; beef cattle production; Livestock Production/Industries;
Other versions of this item:
- Zhao, Zishun & Wahl, Thomas I. & Marsh, Thomas L., 2006. "Invasive Species Management: Foot-and-Mouth Disease in the U.S. Beef Industry," Agricultural and Resource Economics Review, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 35(1), April.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rosen, S. & Murphy, K.M. & Scheinkman, J.A., 1993.
University of Chicago - Economics Research Center
93-2, Chicago - Economics Research Center.
- Jarvis, Lovell S, 1974. "Cattle as Capital Goods and Ranchers as Portfolio Managers: An Application to the Argentine Cattle Sector," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 82(3), pages 489-520, May/June.
- David Aadland, 2001.
"Cattle Cycles, Heterogeneous Expectations and the Age Distribution of Capital,"
2002-02, Utah State University, Department of Economics.
- Aadland, David, 2004. "Cattle cycles, heterogeneous expectations and the age distribution of capital," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 28(10), pages 1977-2002, September.
- David Aadland, 2002. "Cattle Cycles, Heterogeneous Expectations and the Age Distribution of Capital," Others 0211002, EconWPA.
- Thomas L. Marsh & Ray G. Huffaker & Garrell E. Long, 2000. "Optimal Control of Vector-Virus-Plant Interactions: The Case of Potato Leafroll Virus Net Necrosis," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 82(3), pages 556-569.
- Tom Kompas & Tuong Nhu Che & Pham Van Ha, 2006.
"An Optimal Surveillance Measure Against Foot-and-Mouth Disease in the United States,"
International and Development Economics Working Papers
idec06-11, International and Development Economics.
- van Ha, Pham & Che, Tuong Nhu & Kompas, Tom, 2007. "An Optimal Surveillance Measure Against Foot-and-Mouth Disease in the United States," 2007 Conference (51st), February 13-16, 2007, Queenstown, New Zealand 10354, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- Tom Kompas & Tuong Nhu Che & Pham Van Ha, 2006. "An Optimal Surveillance Measure Against Foot and Mouth Disease in the United States," Development Economics Working Papers 21813, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Gohin, Alexandre & Rault, Arnaud, 2013. "Assessing the economic costs of a foot and mouth disease outbreak on Brittany: A dynamic computable general equilibrium analysis," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 39(C), pages 97-107.
- Rault, Arnaud & Krebs, Stephane, 2011. "Livestock epidemics and catastrophic risk management: State of the art and prospects on economic dynamics," 2011 International Congress, August 30-September 2, 2011, Zurich, Switzerland 114793, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Rault, Arnaud, 2012. "On the effectiveness of mutual funds to cope with lasting market risks: The case of FMD in Brittany," 126th Seminar, June 27-29, 2012, Capri, Italy 125994, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Batabyal, Amitrajeet A. & Beladi, Hamid, 2009.
"Trade, the damage from alien species, and the effects of protectionism under alternate market structures,"
Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 70(1-2), pages 389-401, May.
- Amitrajeet A. Batabyal & Hamid Beladi, . "Trade, the Damage from Alien Species, and the Effects of Protectionism Under Alternate Market Structures," Working Papers 0043, College of Business, University of Texas at San Antonio.
- Gohin, Alexandre & Rault, Arnaud, 2012. "Assessing the economic costs of an outbreak of Foot and Mouth Disease on Brittany: A dynamic computable general equilibrium," 86th Annual Conference, April 16-18, 2012, Warwick University, Coventry, UK 134712, Agricultural Economics Society.
- Arnaud Rault & Stéphane Krebs, 2011. "Catastrophic risk and risk management, what do we know about livestock epidemics? State of the art and prospects," Working Papers SMART - LERECO 11-05, INRA UMR SMART.
- Gohin, Alexandre & Rault, Arnaud, 2012. "Assessing the economic costs of an outbreak of Foot and Mouth Disease on Brittany: A dynamic computable general equilibrium approach," 123rd Seminar, February 23-24, 2012, Dublin, Ireland 122438, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.