The Impact of Ethanol Plants on Cropland Values in the Great Plains
AbstractCorn ethanol plants consume large amounts of corn and their location has the potential to alter local crop prices and surrounding agricultural land values. The relationship between ethanol plant location and agricultural land prices is examined using data obtained from the Agricultural Credit Survey administered by the Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City. The findings indicate that the portion of land price changes attributable to location is consistent with previous estimates of basis changes associated with ethanol plant location. As a result, the land markets appear to be rationally adjusting to the location of ethanol plants.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Cornell University, Department of Applied Economics and Management in its series Working Papers with number 51080.
Date of creation: 28 Jan 2008
Date of revision:
farmland; ethanol; land values; Agribusiness; Agricultural Finance; Crop Production/Industries; Financial Economics; Resource /Energy Economics and Policy;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sherman T. Folland & Robbin R. Hough, 1991. "Nuclear Power Plants and the Value of Agricultural Land," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 67(1), pages 30-36.
- Chavas, Jean-Paul & Shumway, C. Richard, 1982. "A Pooled Time-Series Cross-Section Analysis Of Land Prices," Western Journal of Agricultural Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 7(01), July.
- Eidman, Vernon R., 2007. "Economic Parameters for Corn Ethanol and Biodiesel Production," 2007 Annual Meeting, February 4-7, 2007, Mobile, Alabama 34879, Southern Agricultural Economics Association.
- Swenson, David A., 2007. "Understanding Biofuels Economic Impact Claims," Staff General Research Papers 12790, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Paul Gallagher & Hosein Shapouri & Heather Brubaker, 2007.
"Scale, Organization, and Profitability of Ethanol Processing,"
Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics/Revue canadienne d'agroeconomie,
Canadian Agricultural Economics Society/Societe canadienne d'agroeconomie, vol. 55(1), pages 63-81, 03.
- Gallagher, Paul W. & Shapouri, H. & Brubaker, Heather, 2007. "Scale, Organization and Profitability of Ethanol Processing," Staff General Research Papers 12560, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Gallagher, Paul W. & Wisner, Robert N. & Brubaker, Heather, 2005. "Pricing Relationships in Processors' Input Market Areas: Testing Theories for Corn Prices Near Ethanol Plants," Staff General Research Papers 12305, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Eidman, Vernon R., 2007. "Economic Parameters for Corn Ethanol and Biodiesel Production," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 39(02), August.
- Herriges, Joseph A. & Shogren, Jason F., 1992. "The Implicit Value of Corn Base Acreage," Staff General Research Papers 10788, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Paul Gallagher & Robert Wisner & Heather Brubacker, 2005. "Price Relationships in Processors' Input Market Areas: Testing Theories for Corn Prices Near Ethanol Plants," Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics/Revue canadienne d'agroeconomie, Canadian Agricultural Economics Society/Societe canadienne d'agroeconomie, vol. 53(2-3), pages 117-139, 06.
- Charles B. Moss, 1997. "Returns, Interest Rates, and Inflation: How They Explain Changes in Farmland Values," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 79(4), pages 1311-1318.
- Yue Jin Shi & Timothy T. Phipps & Dale Colyer, 1997. "Agricultural Land Values under Urbanizing Influences," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 73(1), pages 90-100.
- Livanis, Grigorios T. & Moss, Charles B. & Breneman, Vincent E. & Nehring, Richard F., 2005. "Urban Sprawl and Farmland Prices," Working Papers 15657, University of Florida, International Agricultural Trade and Policy Center.
- Jason Henderson, 2008. "Will farmland values keep booming?," Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City, issue Q II, pages 81-104.
- Kropp, Jaclyn D. & Peckham, Janet G., 2012. "Impacts of U.S. Agricultural and Ethanol Policies on Farmland Values and Rental Rates," 2012 Annual Meeting, August 12-14, 2012, Seattle, Washington 124579, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Feichtinger, Paul & Salhofer, Klaus, 2011. "The Valuation of Agricultural Land and the Influence of Government Payments," Factor Markets Working Papers 112, Centre for European Policy Studies.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.