The Impact of Ethanol Plants on Land Values in the Great Plains
AbstractCorn ethanol plants consume large amounts of corn and their location has the potential to alter local crop prices and surrounding agricultural land values. The relationship between ethanol plant location and agricultural land prices is examined using data obtained from the Agricultural Credit Survey administered by the Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City. The findings indicate that the portion of land price changes attributable to location is consistent with previous estimates of basis changes associated with ethanol plant location. As a result, the land markets appear to be rationally adjusting to the location of ethanol plants.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Regional Research Committee NC-1014: Agricultural and Rural Finance Markets in Transition in its series Proceedings: 2007 Agricultural and Rural Finance Markets in Transition, October 4-5, 2007, St. Louis, Missouri with number 48148.
Date of creation: 2008
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.agfin.ifas.ufl.edu/
farmland; ethanol; land values; Land Economics/Use;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AGR-2009-06-10 (Agricultural Economics)
- NEP-ALL-2009-06-10 (All new papers)
- NEP-ENE-2009-06-10 (Energy Economics)
- NEP-URE-2009-06-10 (Urban & Real Estate Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Alfons Weersink & Steve Clark & Calum G. Turvey & Rakhal Sarker, 1999. "The Effect of Agricultural Policy on Farmland Values," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 75(3), pages 425-439.
- Eidman, Vernon R., 2007. "Economic Parameters for Corn Ethanol and Biodiesel Production," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 39(02), August.
- Sherman T. Folland & Robbin R. Hough, 1991. "Nuclear Power Plants and the Value of Agricultural Land," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 67(1), pages 30-36.
- Eidman, Vernon R., 2007. "Economic Parameters for Corn Ethanol and Biodiesel Production," 2007 Annual Meeting, February 4-7, 2007, Mobile, Alabama 34879, Southern Agricultural Economics Association.
- Vincent E. Breneman & Richard F. Nehring, 2006. "Urban Sprawl and Farmland Prices," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 88(4), pages 915-929.
- Herriges, Joseph A. & Shogren, Jason F., 1992. "The Implicit Value of Corn Base Acreage," Staff General Research Papers 10788, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Livanis, Grigorios T. & Moss, Charles B. & Breneman, Vincent E. & Nehring, Richard F., 2005. "Urban Sprawl and Farmland Prices," Working Papers 15657, University of Florida, International Agricultural Trade and Policy Center.
- Henderson, Jason R. & Moore, Sean, 2006. "The Capitalization of Wildlife Recreation Income into Farmland Values," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 38(03), December.
- Chavas, Jean-Paul & Shumway, C. Richard, 1982. "A Pooled Time-Series Cross-Section Analysis Of Land Prices," Western Journal of Agricultural Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 7(01), July.
- Swenson, David A., 2007. "Understanding Biofuels Economic Impact Claims," Staff General Research Papers 12790, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Charles B. Moss, 1997. "Returns, Interest Rates, and Inflation: How They Explain Changes in Farmland Values," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 79(4), pages 1311-1318.
- Yue Jin Shi & Timothy T. Phipps & Dale Colyer, 1997. "Agricultural Land Values under Urbanizing Influences," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 73(1), pages 90-100.
- Jason Henderson, 2008. "Will farmland values keep booming?," Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City, issue Q II, pages 81-104.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.