Optimal Generic Advertising under Bilateral Imperfect Competition between Processors and Retailers
AbstractThe purpose of this paper is to examine the impact of bilateral imperfect competition between processors and retailers and of import supply on optimal advertising intensity, advertising expenditures, and checkoff assessment rates. First, comparative static analyses were conducted on the newly developed optimal advertising intensity formula. Second, to consider the endogenous nature of optimal advertising, a linear market equilibrium model was developed and applied to the U.S. beef industry. Results showed that the full consideration of retailer-processor bilateral market power lowered the optimal values of assessment rates, advertising expenditures, and advertising intensity for the checkoff board while consideration of importers increases the optimal values. The results indicate that ignoring the import sector in optimal generic advertising modeling should underestimate these optimal values, while ignoring the bilateral market power between processors and retailers overestimates the values.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Agricultural and Applied Economics Association in its series 2013 Annual Meeting, August 4-6, 2013, Washington, D.C. with number 149582.
Date of creation: 2013
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org
More information through EDIRC
bilateral market power; checkoff; import supply; oligopoly; oligopsony; optimal advertising; processor; retailer; Agribusiness; Agricultural and Food Policy; Consumer/Household Economics; Industrial Organization; Marketing; L13; L66; M37;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- L13 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Oligopoly and Other Imperfect Markets
- L66 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Manufacturing - - - Food; Beverages; Cosmetics; Tobacco
- M37 - Business Administration and Business Economics; Marketing; Accounting - - Marketing and Advertising - - - Advertising
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AGR-2013-06-04 (Agricultural Economics)
- NEP-ALL-2013-06-04 (All new papers)
- NEP-COM-2013-06-04 (Industrial Competition)
- NEP-MKT-2013-06-04 (Marketing)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Villas-Boas, Sofia B., 2006.
"Vertical relationships between manufacturers and retailers: inference with limited data,"
Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley, Working Paper Series
qt0z26d2v9, Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley.
- Sofia Berto Villas-Boas, 2007. "Vertical Relationships between Manufacturers and Retailers: Inference with Limited Data," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 74(2), pages 625-652.
- Villas-Boas, Sofia B., 2007. "Vertical relationships between manufacturers and retailers: inference with limited data," Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley, Working Paper Series qt6gz1t778, Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley.
- Mingxia Zhang & Richard J. Sexton, 2002. "Optimal Commodity Promotion when Downstream Markets are Imperfectly Competitive," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 84(2), pages 352-365.
- Kinnucan, Henry W., 2002.
"Optimal Generic Advertising In An Imperfectly Competitive Food Industry With Variable Proportions,"
2002 Annual meeting, July 28-31, Long Beach, CA
19775, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Kinnucan, Henry W., 2003. "Optimal generic advertising in an imperfectly competitive food industry with variable proportions," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 29(2), pages 143-158, October.
- Chanjin Chung & Emílio Tost�o, 2012. "Effects of horizontal consolidation under bilateral imperfect competition between processors and retailers," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 44(26), pages 3379-3389, September.
- Nelson, Philip, 1974. "Advertising as Information," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 82(4), pages 729-54, July/Aug..
- William Griffiths & Xueyan Zhao, 2000.
"A Unified Approach to Sensitivity Analysis in Equilibrium Displacement Models: Comment,"
American Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 82(1), pages 236-240.
- Griffiths, William E. & Zhao, Xueyan, 1999. "A Unified Approach To Sensitivity Analysis In Equilibrium Displacement Models: Comment," Working Papers 12950, University of New England, School of Economics.
- George C. Davis & Maria Cristina Espinoza, 1998. "A Unified Approach to Sensitivity Analysis in Equilibrium Displacement Models," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 80(4), pages 868-879.
- Rigoberto Lopez & Azzeddine Azzam & Carmen Lirón-España, 2002. "Market Power and/or Efficiency: A Structural Approach," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 20(2), pages 115-126, March.
- Chanjin Chung & Emílio Tost�o, 2009. "Nonparametric Estimation of Oligopsony Power in First-Price Auction," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 60(2), pages 318-333.
- HW Kinnucan & � Myrland, 2000. "Optimal advertising levies with application to the Norway-EU salmon agreement," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 27(1), pages 39-57, March.
- Grossman, Gene M & Shapiro, Carl, 1984. "Informative Advertising with Differentiated Products," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 51(1), pages 63-81, January.
- Digal, Larry N. & Ahmadi-Esfahani, Fredoun Z., 2002. "Market power analysis in the retail food industry: a survey of methods," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 46(4), December.
- Brester, Gary W & Wohlgenant, Michael K, 1993. "Correcting for Measurement Error in Food Demand Estimation," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 75(2), pages 352-56, May.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.