Does Generic Advertising Help or Hurt Brand Advertising?
AbstractThe purpose of this study is to investigate whether the generic advertising helps or hurts the brand advertising within the differentiated product environments. We develop an analytical model that includes both generic and brand advertising expenditures considering vertical product differentiation. Then the analysis is devoted to examine how marginal effects of expenditure affect each other under product differentiation. To help examine the relationship, we also include a new variable, the degree of product differentiation. Analytical results show that when the generic advertising increases the product differentiation, the high quality brand tends to take benefits while the low quality brand loses. When generic advertising includes messages that do not differentiate quality attributes, the high quality brand loses while the low quality brand takes benefits.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Agricultural and Applied Economics Association in its series 2009 Annual Meeting, July 26-28, 2009, Milwaukee, Wisconsin with number 49557.
Date of creation: 2009
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org
More information through EDIRC
check off; generic advertising; brand advertising; vertical product differentiation; Marketing;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2009-05-16 (All new papers)
- NEP-COM-2009-05-16 (Industrial Competition)
- NEP-MKT-2009-05-16 (Marketing)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Frank M. Bass & Anand Krishnamoorthy & Ashutosh Prasad & Suresh P. Sethi, 2005. "Generic and Brand Advertising Strategies in a Dynamic Duopoly," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 24(4), pages 556-568, February.
- Hunnicutt, Lynn & Israelsen, L. Dwight, 2003. "Incentives to Advertise and Product Differentiation," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 28(03), December.
- Chakravarti, Amitav & Janiszewski, Chris, 2004. " The Influence of Generic Advertising on Brand Preferences," Journal of Consumer Research, University of Chicago Press, vol. 30(4), pages 487-502, March.
- Isariyawongse Kosin & Kudo Yasushi & Tremblay Victor J., 2007. "Generic and Brand Advertising in Markets with Product Differentiation," Journal of Agricultural & Food Industrial Organization, De Gruyter, vol. 5(1), pages 1-17, September.
- John Crespi & Stéphan Marette, 2002. "Generic Advertising and Product Differentiation," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 84(3), pages 691-701.
- Mussa, Michael & Rosen, Sherwin, 1978. "Monopoly and product quality," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 301-317, August.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.