Generic Advertising and Product Differentiation
AbstractThis article considers whether generic advertising lowers the differentiation among competing brands of the same good. Analytical results show that if the benefits from generic advertising from increased demand are outweighed by the costs from lower product differentiation then high-quality producers will not benefit from generic promotion. Hypotheses are tested empirically under a conditional-logit approach using retail-market sales and advertising data for the U.S. prune industry. Results from this study provide evidence that generic advertising has a slight differential effect on the perceived qualities of different brands. Copyright 2002, Oxford University Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Agricultural and Applied Economics Association in its journal American Journal of Agricultural Economics.
Volume (Year): 84 (2002)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Crespi, John M. & James, Jennifer S., 2007.
"Bargaining rationale for cooperative generic advertising,"
Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics,
Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 51(4), December.
- John M. Crespi & Jennifer S. James, 2007. "Bargaining rationale for cooperative generic advertising," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 51(4), pages 445-457, December.
- Teuber, Ramona, 2011. "Protecting Geographical Indications: Lessons learned from the Economic Literature," 2011 International Congress, August 30-September 2, 2011, Zurich, Switzerland 116081, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Tauber, Ramona & Anders, Sven & Langinier, Corinne, 2011. "The Economics of Geographical Indications: Welfare Implications," Working Papers 103262, Structure and Performance of Agriculture and Agri-products Industry (SPAA).
- repec:ags:jrapmc:122308 is not listed on IDEAS
- Yu-ter Wang, 2008. "Product Differentiation: An Alternative To Cvds," South African Journal of Economics, Economic Society of South Africa, vol. 76(3), pages 513-517, 09.
- John M. Crespi & Stéphan Marette, 2003. "Are uniform assessments for generic advertising optimal if products are differentiated?," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 19(3), pages 367-377.
- Boland, Michael A. & Crespi, John M. & Silva, Jena & Xia, Tian, 2012. "Measuring the Benefits to Advertising under Monopolistic Competition," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 37(1), April.
- Han, Sungill & Chung, Chanjin & Suh, Daeseok, 2011. "Generic Advertising in Concentrated and Differentiated Agricultural Markets," 2011 Annual Meeting, July 24-26, 2011, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 103739, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Suh, Daeseok & Chung, Chanjin, 2009. "Does Generic Advertising Help or Hurt Brand Advertising?," 2009 Annual Meeting, July 26-28, 2009, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 49557, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Gunderson, Michael A. & Lusk, Jayson L. & Norwood, F. Bailey, 2005. "Getting Something From Nothing: An Investigation of Beef Demand Expansion and Substitution in the Presence of Quality Heterogeneity," 2005 Annual meeting, July 24-27, Providence, RI 19465, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Ferrier, Peyton & Lamb, Russell, 2007. "Government regulation and quality in the US beef market," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 32(1), pages 84-97, February.
- Nilsson, Tomas K.H. & Foster, Kenneth A., 2004. "Product And Process Certification In Imperfectly Competitive Markets," 2004 Annual meeting, August 1-4, Denver, CO 19933, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Daniela Benavente, 2010. "Geographical Indications: The Economics of Claw-Back," IHEID Working Papers 11-2010, Economics Section, The Graduate Institute of International Studies.
- Daniela Benavente, 2010. "The Economics of Geographical Indications: GIs Modelled As Club Assets," IHEID Working Papers 10-2010, Economics Section, The Graduate Institute of International Studies.
- Bhatt, Meghana A., 2012. "Evaluation and associations: A neural-network model of advertising and consumer choice," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 82(1), pages 236-255.
- Tchumtchoua, Sylvie & Cotterill, Ronald, 2010. "Optimal Brand and Generic Advertising Policies in a Dynamic Differentiated Product Oligopoly," Research Reports 149978, University of Connecticut, Food Marketing Policy Center.
- Kolavalli, Shashidhara & Birner, Regina & Flaherty, Kathleen, 2012. "The comprehensive Africa agriculture program as a collective institution:," IFPRI discussion papers 1238, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.