Optimal Brand and Generic Advertising Policies in a Dynamic Differentiated Product Oligopoly
AbstractIn some product categories, generic advertising is used to increase market demand of the category and at the same time brand advertising is used to entice consumers to choose the advertised brand over competing brands. This paper empirically investigates the optimal levels of brand and generic advertising in a dynamic differentiated product oligopoly. A nested logit demand system incorporating brand and generic advertising goodwill stocks is specified and estimated without imposing any supply-side restrictions. Demand side parameters are then used to calibrate a dynamic game of brand and generic advertising that takes into account the vertical relationship between manufacturers and retailers. Estimates from the fluid milk product category indicate that brand advertising is effective for increasing brand level demand and generic advertising has a differential effect on individual brands. On the supply side, we found that it is not optimal for brand manufacturers to advertise in the presence of generic advertising.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Connecticut, Food Marketing Policy Center in its series Research Reports with number 149978.
Date of creation: Mar 2010
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 1376 Storrs Road, Unit 4021, Storrs, CT 06269-4021
Phone: (860) 486-1927
Fax: (860) 486-2461
Web page: http://www.fmpc.uconn.edu/
More information through EDIRC
brand advertising; generic advertising; dynamic oligopoly; Markov perfect equilibrium; Bayesian analysis; Marketing;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Chintagunta, Pradeep K & Jain, Dipak C, 1995. "Empirical Analysis of a Dynamic Duopoly Model of Competition," Journal of Economics & Management Strategy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 4(1), pages 109-31, Spring.
- Mario J. Miranda & Paul L. Fackler, 2004. "Applied Computational Economics and Finance," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262633094, January.
- Sofia Berto Villas-Boas, 2007.
"Vertical Relationships between Manufacturers and Retailers: Inference with Limited Data,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Oxford University Press, vol. 74(2), pages 625-652.
- Villas-Boas, Sofia B., 2006. "Vertical relationships between manufacturers and retailers: inference with limited data," Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley, Working Paper Series qt0z26d2v9, Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley.
- Villas-Boas, Sofia B., 2007. "Vertical relationships between manufacturers and retailers: inference with limited data," Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley, Working Paper Series qt6gz1t778, Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley.
- Philip R. Vande Kamp & Harry M. Kaiser, 2000.
"Optimal Temporal Policies in Fluid Milk Advertising,"
American Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 82(2), pages 274-286.
- Vande Kamp, Philip R. & Kaiser, Harry M., 1998. "Optimal Temporal Policies in Fluid Milk Advertising," Research Bulletins 122676, Cornell University, Department of Applied Economics and Management.
- Gary M. Erickson, 1992. "Empirical Analysis of Closed-Loop Duopoly Advertising Strategies," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 38(12), pages 1732-1749, December.
- Frank M. Bass & Anand Krishnamoorthy & Ashutosh Prasad & Suresh P. Sethi, 2005. "Generic and Brand Advertising Strategies in a Dynamic Duopoly," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 24(4), pages 556-568, February.
- Blisard, Noel & Blayney, Donald P. & Chandran, Ram & Allshouse, Jane E., 1999. "Analyses of Generic Dairy Advertising, 1984-97," Technical Bulletins 33554, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- Jean-Pierre Dubé & Günter Hitsch & Puneet Manchanda, 2005. "An Empirical Model of Advertising Dynamics," Quantitative Marketing and Economics, Springer, vol. 3(2), pages 107-144, June.
- J. Miguel Villas-Boas & Russell S. Winer, 1999. "Endogeneity in Brand Choice Models," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 45(10), pages 1324-1338, October.
- M. Espinosa & Petr Mariel, 2001. "A model of optimal advertising expenditures in a dynamic duopoly," Atlantic Economic Journal, International Atlantic Economic Society, vol. 29(2), pages 135-161, June.
- John Crespi & Stéphan Marette, 2002. "Generic Advertising and Product Differentiation," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 84(3), pages 691-701.
- Sorger, Gerhard, 1989. "Competitive dynamic advertising : A modification of the Case game," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 55-80, January.
- Kinnucan, Henry W., 1986. "Demographic Versus Media Advertising Effects On Milk Demand: The Case Of The New York City Market," Northeastern Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 15(1), April.
- repec:ags:mareec:48626 is not listed on IDEAS
- Philip R. Vande Kamp & Harry M. Kaiser, 1999. "Irreversibility in Advertising-Demand Response Functions: An Application to Milk," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 81(2), pages 385-396.
- Eugene Jones & Ronald W. Ward, 1989. "Effectiveness of generic and brand advertising on fresh and processed potato products," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 5(5), pages 523-536.
- Pradeep K. Chintagunta & Naufel J. Vilcassim, 1992. "An Empirical Investigation of Advertising Strategies in a Dynamic Duopoly," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 38(9), pages 1230-1244, September.
- Jonq-Ying Lee & Mark G. Brown, 1992. "Lag structures in commodity advertising research," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 8(2), pages 143-154.
- Chakravarti, Amitav & Janiszewski, Chris, 2004. " The Influence of Generic Advertising on Brand Preferences," Journal of Consumer Research, University of Chicago Press, vol. 30(4), pages 487-502, March.
- C. Lanier Benkard, 2004. "A Dynamic Analysis of the Market for Wide-Bodied Commercial Aircraft," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 71(3), pages 581-611.
- Pakes, Ariel & McGuire, Paul, 2001. "Stochastic Algorithms, Symmetric Markov Perfect Equilibrium, and the 'Curse' of Dimensionality," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 69(5), pages 1261-81, September.
- Li, Xun & Lopez, Rigoberto A., 2012. "Spillover Effects of TV Advertising: The Case of Carbonated Soft Drinks," 2012 Annual Meeting, August 12-14, 2012, Seattle, Washington 124724, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.