Optimal Temporal Policies in Fluid Milk Advertising
AbstractThis study develops an approach to obtain optimal temporal advertising strategies when consumers' response to advertising is asymmetric. Using this approach, optimal strategies for generic fluid milk advertising in New York City are determined. Results indicate that pulsed advertising policies are significantly more effective in increasing demand than a uniform advertising policy. Sensitivity analyses show that the optimal advertising policies are insensitive to reasonable variations in interest rates and the inclusion of milk demand seasonality in the model. Also less asymmetric responses to advertising are found to result in shorter optimal pulsing cycles and reduced intensity of advertising pulses. Copyright 2000, Oxford University Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Agricultural and Applied Economics Association in its journal American Journal of Agricultural Economics.
Volume (Year): 82 (2000)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org/
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Vande Kamp, Philip R. & Kaiser, Harry M., 1998. "Optimal Temporal Policies in Fluid Milk Advertising," Research Bulletins 122676, Cornell University, Department of Applied Economics and Management.
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Tchumtchoua, Sylvie & Cotterill, Ronald, 2010. "Optimal Brand and Generic Advertising Policies in a Dynamic Differentiated Product Oligopoly," Research Reports 149978, University of Connecticut, Food Marketing Policy Center.
- Schmit, Todd M. & Kaiser, Harry M., 2004.
"Optimal Seasonal Allocation of Generic Dairy Advertising Expenditures,"
122095, Cornell University, Department of Applied Economics and Management.
- Schmit, Todd M. & Kaiser, Harry M., 2007. "Optimal Seasonal Allocation of Generic Dairy Advertising Expenditures," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 39(01), April.
- Durham, Catherine A. & Johnson, Aaron J. & McFetridge, Marc V., 2007. "Marketing-Management Impacts on Produce Sales," Journal of Food Distribution Research, Food Distribution Research Society, vol. 38(2), July.
- Babutsidze, Zakaria, 2009.
"Learning How to Consume and Returns to Product Promotion,"
MERIT Working Papers
018, United Nations University - Maastricht Economic and Social Research Institute on Innovation and Technology (MERIT).
- Zakaria Babutsidze, 2009. "Learning How to Consume and Returns to Product Promotion," Papers on Economics and Evolution 2009-05, Philipps University Marburg, Department of Geography.
- Yuqing Zheng & Harry M. Kaiser, 2009. "Evaluating the effectiveness of generic advertising versus nonadvertising marketing activities on New York State milk markets," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 25(3), pages 351-368.
- Sylvie Tchumtchoua & Ronald W. Cotterill, 2010. "Optimal Brand and Generic Advertising Policies in a Dynamic Differentiated Product Oligopoly," Food Marketing Policy Center Research Reports 126, University of Connecticut, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Charles J. Zwick Center for Food and Resource Policy.
- Ueda, Takeshi & Frechette, Darren L., 2002. "Have Milk Fat Preferences Shifted? Structural Analysis of New York Milk Consumption," Agricultural and Resource Economics Review, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 31(1), April.
- Nicholson, Charles F. & Kaiser, Harry M., 2007. "The Impact of Generic Fluid Milk and Cheese Advertising on Regulated Dairy Product Markets: A System Dynamics Analysis," Working Papers 127001, Cornell University, Department of Applied Economics and Management.
- Zakaria Babutsidze, 2011. "Returns to product promotion when consumers are learning how to consume," Journal of Evolutionary Economics, Springer, vol. 21(5), pages 783-801, December.
- Nicholson, Charles F. & Kaiser, Harry M., 2008. "Dynamic market impacts of generic dairy advertising," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 61(11), pages 1125-1135, November.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.