Evaluating Social Funds : A Cross-Country Analysis of Community Investments
AbstractThe study seeks to answer four questions that summarize the fundamental issues in the international debate about the capacity of social funds to improve beneficiaries' living conditions: o Do social funds reach poor areas and poor households? Do social funds deliver high-quality, sustainable investments? Do social funds affect living standards? How cost-efficient are social funds and the investments they finance, compared with other delivery mechanisms? The findings and lessons from this research reflect a specific moment in the evolution of six social funds and therefore may not fully predict the future impact of current investments. The evaluation assesses subprojects identified and implemented between 1993 and 1999, a period when longer-term objectives-such as increasing access to and utilization of basic services-began to supplant the funds' original emergency mandates. The time period selected allowed enough elapsed time following the implementation of the social fund subprojects to make measurement of impact and sustainability possible. The evaluation does not consider the effects of social fund projects on employment or on income generation-the original objectives of the first generation of social funds, which were introduced in Latin America. It also does not discuss the effect of social fund investments on capacity building-a more recent emphasis of social funds seeking to assist decentralization and community development.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoThis book is provided by The World Bank in its series World Bank Publications with number 15057 and published in 2004.
Health Monitoring and Evaluation Water Supply and Sanitation - Town Water Supply and Sanitation Environmental Economics and Policies Poverty Monitoring and Analysis Poverty Reduction - Poverty Assessment;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Brown, L. David & Korten, David C., 1989. "Understanding voluntary organizations : guidelines for donors," Policy Research Working Paper Series, The World Bank 258, The World Bank.
- Judy L. Baker, 2000. "Evaluating the Impact of Development Projects on Poverty : A Handbook for Practitioners," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, The World Bank, number 13949, August.
- Dehejia, R.H. & Wahba, S., 1998.
"Propensity Score Matching Methods for Non-Experimental Causal Studies,"
Discussion Papers, Columbia University, Department of Economics
1998_02, Columbia University, Department of Economics.
- Rajeev H. Dehejia & Sadek Wahba, 2002. "Propensity Score-Matching Methods For Nonexperimental Causal Studies," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, MIT Press, vol. 84(1), pages 151-161, February.
- Rajeev H. Dehejia & Sadek Wahba, 1998. "Propensity Score Matching Methods for Non-experimental Causal Studies," NBER Working Papers, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc 6829, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Rajeev H. Dehejia & Sadek Wahba, 2002. "Propensity score matching methods for non-experimental causal studies," Discussion Papers, Columbia University, Department of Economics 0102-14, Columbia University, Department of Economics.
- Hanushek, Eric A, 1986. "The Economics of Schooling: Production and Efficiency in Public Schools," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, American Economic Association, vol. 24(3), pages 1141-77, September.
- Salmen, Lawrence F., 1999. "Beneficiary assessment manual for social funds," Social Protection Discussion Papers, The World Bank 21336, The World Bank.
- Cornia, G.A., 1999. "Social Funds in Stabilization and Adjustment Programmes," Research Paper, World Institute for Development Economics Research 48, World Institute for Development Economics Research.
- Lavy, V & Strauss, J & Thomas, D & de Vreyer, P, 1996.
"Quality of Health Care, Survivial and Health Outcomes in Ghana,"
Papers, RAND - Reprint Series
96-20, RAND - Reprint Series.
- Lavy, Victor & Strauss, John & Thomas, Duncan & de Vreyer, Philippe, 1996. "Quality of health care, survival and health outcomes in Ghana," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 15(3), pages 333-357, June.
- Tugrul Gurgur & Anwar Shah, 2014.
"Localization and corruption: panacea or pandora's box?,"
Annals of Economics and Finance, Society for AEF,
Society for AEF, vol. 15(1), pages 109-136, May.
- Tugrul Gurgur & Anwar Shah, 2008. "Localization and corruption: panacea or pandora's box?," CEMA Working Papers, China Economics and Management Academy, Central University of Finance and Economics 581, China Economics and Management Academy, Central University of Finance and Economics.
- Gurgur, Tugrul & Shah, Anwar, 2005. "Localization and corruption : panacea or pandora's box?," Policy Research Working Paper Series, The World Bank 3486, The World Bank.
- Heckman, James J. & Lalonde, Robert J. & Smith, Jeffrey A., 1999. "The economics and econometrics of active labor market programs," Handbook of Labor Economics, Elsevier, in: O. Ashenfelter & D. Card (ed.), Handbook of Labor Economics, edition 1, volume 3, chapter 31, pages 1865-2097 Elsevier.
- Ravallion, 1999.
"Monitoring targeting performance when decentralized allocation to the poor are unobserved,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series, The World Bank
2080, The World Bank.
- Ravallion, Martin, 2000. "Monitoring Targeting Performance When Decentralized Allocations to the Poor Are Unobserved," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, World Bank Group, vol. 14(2), pages 331-45, May.
- Margaret Grosh & Paul Glewwe, 2000. "Designing Household Survey Questionnaires for Developing Countries : Lessons from 15 Years of the Living Standards Measurement Study, Volume 3," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, The World Bank, number 15195, August.
- Barrientos, Jorge C., 1999. "Coordinating poverty alleviation programs with regional and local governments : the experience of the Chilean Social Fund - FOSIS," Social Protection Discussion Papers, The World Bank 21335, The World Bank.
- repec:fth:coluec:9899-01 is not listed on IDEAS
- Germano Mwabu & Martha Ainsworth & Andrew Nyamete, 1993. "Quality of Medical Care and Choice of Medical Treatment in Kenya: An Empirical Analysis," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 28(4), pages 838-862.
- Charles M. Tiebout, 1956. "A Pure Theory of Local Expenditures," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, University of Chicago Press, vol. 64, pages 416.
- Glewwe, Paul, et al, 1995. "An Eclectic Approach to Estimating the Determinants of Achievement in Jamaican Primary Education," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, World Bank Group, vol. 9(2), pages 231-58, May.
- Schuknecht, Ludger, 1996. "Political Business Cycles and Fiscal Policies in Developing Countries," Kyklos, Wiley Blackwell, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 49(2), pages 155-70.
- Pradhan, Menno & Rawlings, Laura & Ridder, Geert, 1998. "The Bolivian Social Investment Fund: An Analysis of Baseline Data for Impact Evaluation," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, World Bank Group, vol. 12(3), pages 457-82, September.
- Reddy, S., 1998. "Social Funds in Developing Countries : Recent Experiences and Lessons," Papers, California Los Angeles - Applied Econometrics 98-002, California Los Angeles - Applied Econometrics.
- Gopal, G. & Marc, A., 1994. "World-Bank Financed Projects with Community Participation. Procurement and Disbursement Issues," World Bank - Discussion Papers, World Bank 265, World Bank.
- Jimenez, Emmanuel & Paqueo, Vicente, 1996. "Do local contributions affect the efficiency of public primary schools?," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 15(4), pages 377-386, October.
- Grossman, Jean Baldwin, 1994. "Evaluating Social Policies: Principles and U.S. Experience," World Bank Research Observer, World Bank Group, World Bank Group, vol. 9(2), pages 159-80, July.
- Heckman, James J & Ichimura, Hidehiko & Todd, Petra, 1998. "Matching as an Econometric Evaluation Estimator," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 65(2), pages 261-94, April.
- Arlette Campbell White & Thomas W. Merrick & Abdo S. Yazbeck, 2006. "Reproductive Health—The Missing Millennium Development Goal : Poverty, Health, and Development in a Changing World," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, The World Bank, number 7116, February.
- Subhrendu K Pattanayak, 2009. "Rough Guide to Impact Evaluation of Environmental and Development Programs," Working Papers, eSocialSciences id:2187, eSocialSciences.
- Carolyn Heinrich & Yeri López, 2007.
"Does Community Participation Produce Dividends in Social Investment Fund Projects?,"
IDB Publications, Inter-American Development Bank
25738, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Heinrich, Carolyn J. & Lopez, Yeri, 2009. "Does Community Participation Produce Dividends in Social Investment Fund Projects?," World Development, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 37(9), pages 1554-1568, September.
- Carolyn J. Heinrich & Yeri Lopez, 2007. "Does Community Participation Produce Dividens in Social Investment Fund Projects?," OVE Working Papers, Inter-American Development Bank, Office of Evaluation and Oversight (OVE) 0107, Inter-American Development Bank, Office of Evaluation and Oversight (OVE).
- Hala Abou-Ali & Hesham El-Azony & Heba El-Laithy & Jonathan Haughton & Shahid Khandker, 2010.
"Evaluating the impact of Egyptian Social Fund for Development programmes,"
Journal of Development Effectiveness, Taylor & Francis Journals,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 2(4), pages 521-555.
- Abou-Ali, Hala & El-Azony, Hesham & El-Laithy, Heba & Haughton, Jonathan & Khandker, Shahidur R., 2009. "Evaluating the impact of Egyptian social fund for development programs," Policy Research Working Paper Series, The World Bank 4993, The World Bank.
- Ministry of Planning of the Arab Repubic of Egypt & World Bank, 2004. "A Poverty Reduction Strategy for Egypt," World Bank Other Operational Studies, The World Bank 15713, The World Bank.
- World Bank, 2006. "India - District Poverty Initiatives Project : Joint Interim Assessment - Understanding Differences in Project Design," World Bank Other Operational Studies, The World Bank 19468, The World Bank.
- World Bank, 2007. "From Social Funds to Local Governance and Social Inclusion Programs," World Bank Other Operational Studies, The World Bank 7775, The World Bank.
- World Bank, 2012. "Resilience, Equity, and Opportunity," World Bank Other Operational Studies, The World Bank 12648, The World Bank.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Breineder).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.