Empirical study on sources of innovation in international food and beverage industry
AbstractBased on a sample of 4,572 foreign patents, this article analyzes the sectoral and geographic sources of innovation in the international Food and Beverage industry at the four-digit level. Upstream industries are important contributors of innovation, especially for commodity-type industries. Technological intensity varies across the OECD (Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development) area. Association of inventive national industries with large corporate size and relevant overseas production is not generalized. While comparative technological advantage is not likely to challenge the international oligopoly in the short run, new entrants based on technical knowledge could contest specific markets of giant firms. Rivalry may increase in the new framework of the European Union. © 1996 John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. in its journal Agribusiness.
Volume (Year): 12 (1996)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/journal/10.1002/(ISSN)1520-6297
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fagerberg, Jan, 1987. "A technology gap approach to why growth rates differ," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 16(2-4), pages 87-99, August.
- Patel, Pari & Pavitt, Keith, 1987. "Is Western Europe losing the technological race?," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 16(2-4), pages 59-85, August.
- Soete, Luc, 1987. "The impact of technological innovation on international trade patterns: The evidence reconsidered," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 16(2-4), pages 101-130, August.
- Briz, Julian & de Carlos, Pilar & de Felipe, Isabel & Garcia Martinez, Marian & Morais, Federico, 2006. "Food Innovation and Market Risk: A Case Study of the Interface Consumer Food Industry," 99th Seminar, February 8-10, 2006, Bonn, Germany 7732, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Muscio, Alessandro & Nardone, Gianluca, 2012. "The determinants of university–industry collaboration in food science in Italy," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(6), pages 710-718.
- George Anastassopoulos, 2003. "MNE subsidiaries versus domestic enterprises: an analysis of their ownership and location-specific advantages," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 35(13), pages 1505-1514.
- Briz, Julian & de Felipe, Isabel, 2007. "Challenge to SME to Survive in Food Dynamic Markets: Innovation and Efficient Networks," 2007 1st Forum, February 15-17, 2007, Innsbruck, Austria 6574, International European Forum on Innovation and System Dynamics in Food Networks.
- Menrad, K., 2004. "Innovations in the food industry in Germany," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 33(6-7), pages 845-878, September.
- Martinez, Marian Garcia & Briz, Julian, 2000. "Innovation In The Spanish Food And Drink Industry," International Food and Agribusiness Management Review, International Food and Agribusiness Management Association (IAMA), vol. 3(02).
- Prasong Siriwongwilaichat & Ray J. Winger, 2004. "Technical knowledge for food product innovation in Thailand," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 20(3), pages 233-252.
- Verhees, Frans J.H.M. & Meulenberg, Matthew T.G. & Pennings, Joost M.E., 2010. "Performance expectations of small firms considering radical product innovation," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 63(7), pages 772-777, July.
- Oscar Alfranca & Ruth Rama & Nicholas von Tunzelmann, 2002. "A patent analysis of global food and beverage firms: The persistence of innovation," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 18(3), pages 349-368.
- Carraresi, Laura & Mamaqi, Xhevrie & Albisu, Luis Miguel & Banterle, Alessandro, 2012. "Strategic Capabilities and Performance: An Application of Resource-Based View in Italian Food SMEs," 2012 International European Forum, February 13-17, 2012, Innsbruck-Igls, Austria 144955, International European Forum on Innovation and System Dynamics in Food Networks.
- Matopoulos, Aristides & Vlachopoulou, Maro, 2008. "Identifying Innovation Strategies: Insights from the Greek Food Industry," 110th Seminar, February 18-22, 2008, Innsbruck-Igls, Austria 49881, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.