What Moves the Primary Stock and Bond Markets? Influence of Macroeconomic Factors on Bond and Equity Issues in Malaysia and Korea
AbstractThis paper examines the impact of macroeconomic factors on the stock and bond market activities in two Asian countries. We examine the influence of interest rate changes, expected inflation rate, and stock market returns on aggregate stock and bond issuance in Malaysia and Korea. Using vector autoregressive models (VARs) and variance decomposition techniques, our result show that dynamics of equity and bond issuance in both countries vary significantly. Our findings show that there has been a two-way relationship between interest rate changes and bond issuance in the case of South Korea, whereas, stock returns have significantly influenced the bond issuance (instead of equity issuance) in Malaysia. The findings seem to support emerging popularity of corporate bond markets in Asian region.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Penerbit Universiti Sains Malaysia in its journal Asian Academy of Management Journal of Accounting and Finance.
Volume (Year): 3 (2007)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
stock and bond markets; macroeconomic factors; VAR; Malaysia; South Korea Journal: Asian Academy of Management Journal of Accounting and Finance;
Other versions of this item:
- Ameer, Rashid, 2007. "What moves the primary stock and bond markets? Influence of macroeconomic factors on bond and equity issues in Malaysia and Korea," MPRA Paper 19656, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- E44 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Money and Interest Rates - - - Financial Markets and the Macroeconomy
- G30 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance - - - General
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ayla Kayhan & Sheridan Titman, 2004.
"Firms' Histories and Their Capital Structures,"
NBER Working Papers
10526, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mark R. Stone & E. P. Davis, 2004.
"Corporate Financial Structure and Financial Stability,"
IMF Working Papers
04/124, International Monetary Fund.
- Davis, E. Philip & Stone, Mark R., 2004. "Corporate financial structure and financial stability," Journal of Financial Stability, Elsevier, vol. 1(1), pages 65-91, September.
- Sensier, Marianne & Artis, Michael & Osborn, Denise R. & Birchenhall, Chris, 2004.
"Domestic and international influences on business cycle regimes in Europe,"
International Journal of Forecasting,
Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 343-357.
- M Sensier & M Artis & C R Birchenhall & D R Osborn, 2002. "Domestic and International Influences on Business Cycle Regimes in Europe," Centre for Growth and Business Cycle Research Discussion Paper Series 11, Economics, The Univeristy of Manchester.
- M Sensier & M Artis & C R Birchenhall & D R Osborn, 2002. "Domestic and International Influences on Business Cycle Regimes in Europe," The School of Economics Discussion Paper Series 0202, Economics, The University of Manchester.
- Korajczyk, Robert A & Lucas, Deborah J & McDonald, Robert L, 1991. "The Effect of Information Releases on the Pricing and Timing of Equity Issues," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 4(4), pages 685-708.
- Geert Bekaert & Campbell R. Harvey, 1997.
"Foreign Speculators and Emerging Equity Markets,"
William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series
79, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Gabe De Bondt, 2005. "Determinants of corporate debt securities in the Euro area," The European Journal of Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 11(6), pages 493-509.
- Marsh, Paul, 1982. " The Choice between Equity and Debt: An Empirical Study," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 37(1), pages 121-44, March.
- Malcolm Baker & Jeffrey Wurgler, 2002.
"Market Timing and Capital Structure,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 57(1), pages 1-32, 02.
- Korajczyk, Robert A. & Levy, Amnon, 2003. "Capital structure choice: macroeconomic conditions and financial constraints," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 68(1), pages 75-109, April.
- Ivo Welch, 2002.
"Capital Structure and Stock Returns,"
Yale School of Management Working Papers
ysm263, Yale School of Management, revised 01 Aug 2003.
- Kaminsky, Graciela & Lyons, Richard & Schmukler, Sergio, 2001. "Mutual fund investment in emerging markets - an overview," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2529, The World Bank.
- Sharma, Krishnan, 2001. "The Underlying Constraints on Corporate Bond Market Development in Southeast Asia," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 29(8), pages 1405-1419, August.
- Adam Creighton & Luke Gower & Anthony Richards, 2004.
"The Impact of Rating Changes in Australian Financial Markets,"
RBA Research Discussion Papers
rdp2004-02, Reserve Bank of Australia.
- Creighton, Adam & Gower, Luke & Richards, Anthony J., 2007. "The impact of rating changes in Australian financial markets," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 15(1), pages 1-17, January.
- O'Neal, Edward S, 1998. "Why Electric Utility Stocks Are Sensitive to Interest Rates," The Financial Review, Eastern Finance Association, vol. 33(1), pages 147-61, February.
- Bekaert, G. & Harvey, C. R. & Lumsdaine, R. L., 2002.
"The dynamics of emerging market equity flows,"
Journal of International Money and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 21(3), pages 295-350, June.
- Kim, E Han & Singal, Vijay, 2000. "Stock Market Openings: Experience of Emerging Economies," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 73(1), pages 25-66, January.
- Choe, Hyuk & Masulis, Ronald W. & Nanda, Vikram, 1993. "Common stock offerings across the business cycle : Theory and evidence," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 1(1), pages 3-31, June.
- Park, Jinwoo & Shenoy, Catherine, 2002. "An examination of the dynamic behavior of aggregate bond and stock issues," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 11(2), pages 175-189, May.
- Myers, Stewart C. & Majluf, Nicolás S., 1945-, 1984. "Corporate financing and investment decisions when firms have information that investors do not have," Working papers 1523-84., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Stewart C. Myers & Nicholas S. Majluf, 1984. "Corporate Financing and Investment Decisions When Firms Have InformationThat Investors Do Not Have," NBER Working Papers 1396, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Pearce, Douglas K & Roley, V Vance, 1985.
"Stock Prices and Economic News,"
The Journal of Business,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 58(1), pages 49-67, January.
- Pukthuanthong-Le, Kuntara & Elayan, Fayez A. & Rose, Lawrence C., 2007. "Equity and debt market responses to sovereign credit ratings announcement," Global Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 47-83.
- Henry, Peter Blair, 2000. "Do stock market liberalizations cause investment booms?," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 58(1-2), pages 301-334.
- Myers, Stewart C. & Majluf, Nicholas S., 1984. "Corporate financing and investment decisions when firms have information that investors do not have," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(2), pages 187-221, June.
- Henderson, Brian J. & Jegadeesh, Narasimhan & Weisbach, Michael S., 2006.
"World markets for raising new capital,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 82(1), pages 63-101, October.
- Hovakimian, Armen & Hovakimian, Gayane & Tehranian, Hassan, 2004. "Determinants of target capital structure: The case of dual debt and equity issues," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 71(3), pages 517-540, March.
- Taggart, Robert A, Jr, 1977. "A Model of Corporate Financing Decisions," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 32(5), pages 1467-84, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Journal Division).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.