The impact of rating changes in Australian financial markets
AbstractThis paper tests the response of bond yield spreads and equity prices to credit rating changes in the Australian financial market. Unlike some earlier studies for foreign markets, we find evidence that both yield spreads and equity prices move in the âexpectedâ direction following rating changes. However, the impacts are relatively small. In addition, in the case of downgrades and equity returns, we find evidence of large movements in prices in the six months prior to the rating announcement, suggesting that rating changes are largely validating information that has already been factored into equity prices. We also find that announcement effects are larger for small firms, for re-ratings from investment to speculative grade, and for cases where agencies have not indicated that the rating is under review.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Pacific-Basin Finance Journal.
Volume (Year): 15 (2007)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/pacfin
Other versions of this item:
- Adam Creighton & Luke Gower & Anthony Richards, 2004. "The Impact of Rating Changes in Australian Financial Markets," RBA Research Discussion Papers rdp2004-02, Reserve Bank of Australia.
- G12 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Asset Pricing; Trading Volume; Bond Interest Rates
- G14 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Information and Market Efficiency; Event Studies; Insider Trading
- G20 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - General
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Allen N. Berger & Sally M. Davies & Mark J. Flannery, 1998.
"Comparing market and supervisory assessments of bank performance: who knows what when?,"
Finance and Economics Discussion Series
1998-32, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Berger, Allen N & Davies, Sally M & Flannery, Mark J, 2000. "Comparing Market and Supervisory Assessments of Bank Performance: Who Knows What When?," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 32(3), pages 641-67, August.
- Allen N. Berger & Sally M. Davies & Mark J. Flannery, 2000. "Comparing market and supervisory assessments of bank performance: who knows what when?," Proceedings, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland, pages 641-670.
- Philip Lowe, 2002. "Credit risk measurement and procyclicality," BIS Working Papers 116, Bank for International Settlements.
- Gropp, Reint & Richards, Anthony J., 2001. "Rating agency actions and the pricing of debt and equity of European banks: What can we infer about private sector monitoring of bank soundness?," Working Paper Series 0076, European Central Bank.
- Ederington, Louis H. & Goh, Jeremy C., 1998. "Bond Rating Agencies and Stock Analysts: Who Knows What When?," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 33(04), pages 569-585, December.
- Hand, John R M & Holthausen, Robert W & Leftwich, Richard W, 1992. " The Effect of Bond Rating Agency Announcements on Bond and Stock Prices," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 47(2), pages 733-52, June.
- Goh, Jeremy C & Ederington, Louis H, 1993. " Is a Bond Rating Downgrade Bad News, Good News, or No News for Stockholders?," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 48(5), pages 2001-08, December.
- Holthausen, Robert W. & Leftwich, Richard W., 1986. "The effect of bond rating changes on common stock prices," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 57-89, September.
- Doron Kliger & Oded Sarig, .
"The Information Value of Bond Ratings,"
Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research Working Papers
13-97, Wharton School Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research.
- Richard Cantor & Frank Packer, 1996.
"Determinants and impacts of sovereign credit ratings,"
9608, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Richard Cantor & Frank Packer, 1996. "Determinants and impact of sovereign credit ratings," Economic Policy Review, Federal Reserve Bank of New York, issue Oct, pages 37-53.
- A. Craig MacKinlay, 1997. "Event Studies in Economics and Finance," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 35(1), pages 13-39, March.
- C. H. Furfine & Jeffery D. Amato, 2003. "Are credit ratings procyclical?," BIS Working Papers 129, Bank for International Settlements.
- John Ammer & Nathanael Clinton, 2004. "Good news is no news? The impact of credit rating changes on the pricing of asset-backed securities," International Finance Discussion Papers 809, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Ameer, Rashid, 2007.
"What moves the primary stock and bond markets? Influence of macroeconomic factors on bond and equity issues in Malaysia and Korea,"
19656, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Rashid Ameer, 2007. "What Moves the Primary Stock and Bond Markets? Influence of Macroeconomic Factors on Bond and Equity Issues in Malaysia and Korea," Asian Academy of Management Journal of Accounting and Finance, Penerbit Universiti Sains Malaysia, vol. 3(1), pages 93-116.
- Francois Lantin, 2008. "La prise en compte de l'effet taille dans la notation financière (rating)," Post-Print halshs-00692573, HAL.
- Bastidon, Cécile & Gilles, Philippe & Huchet, Nicolas, 2008. "The international lender of last resort and selective bail-out," Emerging Markets Review, Elsevier, vol. 9(2), pages 144-152, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.