Comparative productivity analysis between labour-managed firms and conventional capitalist companies in Spain
AbstractThe comparative analysis of productivity of the cooperative and capitalist forms of organization has been performed in different countries using various methodologies.In Spain, the Mondragon industrial cooperatives have been studied in depth; however, empirical research comparing the two forms of organization is scarce. This paper represents an empirical contribution using a sample of Spanish manufacturing firms and demonstrates that the productivity of worker-owned firms (including cooperatives and sociedades laborales) is smaller than the productivity of capitalist firms. These findings are based on the estimation, by means generalized method of moments, of a Cobb-Douglas production function. The econometric model includes a dummy variable for measuring the effect of worker-owned form of organization on labor-productivity.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Instituto de Investigaciones Económicas y Sociales (IIES). Facultad de Ciencias Económicas y Sociales. Universidad de Los Andes. Mérida, Venezuela in its journal Economía.
Volume (Year): 37 (2012)
Issue (Month): 33 (January-june)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Facultad de Ciencias Económicas y Sociales. Instituto de Investigaciones Económicas y Sociales. Campus Universitario Liria, Edificio G, Tercer Nivel. Mérida 5101, Estado Mérida, Venezuela
Phone: +58 74 401111 ext. 1081
Fax: +58 74 401120
Web page: http://iies.faces.ula.ve/
More information through EDIRC
Worker-owned firms; comparative analysis of productivity; Cobb-Douglas production function; firm panel data.;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D23 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - Organizational Behavior; Transaction Costs; Property Rights
- D24 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - Production; Cost; Capital; Capital, Total Factor, and Multifactor Productivity; Capacity
- J54 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Labor-Management Relations, Trade Unions, and Collective Bargaining - - - Producer Cooperatives; Labor Managed Firms
- L25 - Industrial Organization - - Firm Objectives, Organization, and Behavior - - - Firm Performance
- P13 - Economic Systems - - Capitalist Systems - - - Cooperative Enterprises
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Stock, James H & Wright, Jonathan H & Yogo, Motohiro, 2002. "A Survey of Weak Instruments and Weak Identification in Generalized Method of Moments," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 20(4), pages 518-29, October.
- Furubotn, Eirik G, 1976. "The Long-Run Analysis of the Labor-Managed Firm: An Alternative Interpretation," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 66(1), pages 104-23, March.
- Smith, Stephen C., 2001. "Blooming Together or Wilting Alone? Network Externalities and Mondrag.n and La Lega Co-operative Networks," Working Paper Series UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Douglas Staiger & James H. Stock, 1994.
"Instrumental Variables Regression with Weak Instruments,"
NBER Technical Working Papers
0151, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Douglas Staiger & James H. Stock, 1997. "Instrumental Variables Regression with Weak Instruments," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 65(3), pages 557-586, May.
- Baleren Bakaikoa & Anjel Errasti & Agurtzane Begiristain, 2004. "Governance of the Mondragon CorporaciÛn Cooperativa," Annals of Public and Cooperative Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 75(1), pages 61-87, 03.
- Berman, Katrina V. & Berman, Matthew D., 1989. "An empirical test of the theory of the labor-managed firm," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(2), pages 281-300, June.
- Will Bartlett & Saul Estrin & John Cable & Stephen Smith, 1992. "Labor-managed cooperatives and private firms in north central Italy: An empirical comparison," Industrial and Labor Relations Review, ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 46(1), pages 103-118, October.
- Porter, Philip K & Scully, Gerald W, 1987. "Economic Efficiency in Cooperatives," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 30(2), pages 489-512, October.
- G.E. Boyle, 2004. "The economic efficiency of Irish dairy marketing co-operatives," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 20(2), pages 143-153.
- Mosheim, Roberto, 2002. "Organizational Type and Efficiency in the Costa Rican Coffee Processing Sector," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(2), pages 296-316, June.
- Pere Sabaté Prats & Xavier Sabi Marcamo & Ramon Saladrigues Solé, 2000. "Cooperativas versus sociedades mercantiles. El sector frutero en Lleida," CIRIEC-España, revista de economía pública, social y cooperativa, CIRIEC-España, issue 34, pages 51-70, April.
- Jones, Derek C & Backus, David K, 1977. "British Producer Cooperatives in the Footwear Industry: An Empirical Evaluation of the Theory of Financing," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 87(347), pages 488-510, September.
- Ornella Maietta & Vania Sena, 2008. "Is competition really bad news for cooperatives? Some empirical evidence for Italian producers’ cooperatives," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 29(3), pages 221-233, June.
- Ornella Wanda Maietta & Vania Sena, 2010. "Financial Constraints And Technical Efficiency: Some Empirical Evidence For Italian Producers' Cooperatives," Annals of Public and Cooperative Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 81(1), pages 21-38, 03.
- Satbir Singh & Tim Coelli & Euan Fleming, 2001. "Performance of Dairy Plants in the Cooperative and Private Sectors in India," Annals of Public and Cooperative Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 72(4), pages 453-479, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Alexis Vásquez).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.