Understanding the Complexities of Private Standards in Global Agri-Food Chains as They Impact Developing Countries
AbstractThe increasing prevalence of private standards governing food safety, food quality and environmental and social impacts of agri-food systems has raised concerns about the effects on developing countries, as well as the governance of agri-food value chains more broadly. It is argued that current debates have been 'clouded' by a failure to recognise the diversity of private standards in terms of their institutional form, who develops and adopts these standards and why. In particular, there is a need to appreciate the close inter-relationships between public regulations and private standards and the continuing ways in which private standards evolve.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Journal of Development Studies.
Volume (Year): 46 (2010)
Issue (Month): 9 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/FJDS20
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Schuster, Monica & Maertens, Miet, 2013. "Do private standards create exclusive supply chains? New evidence from the Peruvian asparagus export sector," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 43(C), pages 291-305.
- Herzfeld, Thomas & Drescher, Larissa S. & Grebitus, Carola, 2011. "Cross-national adoption of private food quality standards," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(3), pages 401-411, June.
- Henrik Hansen & Neda Trifković, 2013.
"Food Standards are Good – for Middle-Class Farmers,"
IFRO Working Paper
2013/19, University of Copenhagen, Department of Food and Resource Economics.
- Hansen, Henrik & Trifković, Neda, 2014. "Food Standards are Good – For Middle-Class Farmers," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 56(C), pages 226-242.
- Spencer Henson, 2011. "Private agrifood governance: conclusions, observations and provocations," Agriculture and Human Values, Springer, vol. 28(3), pages 443-451, September.
- Schuster, Monica & Maertens, Miet, 2013. "Food Standards, Heterogeneous Firms and Developing Countries’ Export Performance," Working Papers 152084, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Centre for Agricultural and Food Economics.
- Subervie, Julie & Vagneron, Isabelle, 2012.
"Can Fresh Produce Farmers Benefit from Global Gap Certification? The case of lychee producers in Madagascar,"
2012 Conference, August 18-24, 2012, Foz do Iguacu, Brazil
126704, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Julie Subervie & Isabelle Vagneron, 2012. "Can fresh produce farmers benefit from global gap certification? The case of lychee producers in Madagascar," Working Papers 172039, Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique, France.
- Melo, Oscar & Engler, Alejandra & Nahuehual, Laura & Cofre, Gabriela & Barrena, José, 2014. "Do Sanitary, Phytosanitary, and Quality-related Standards Affect International Trade? Evidence from Chilean Fruit Exports," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 54(C), pages 350-359.
- Martha McMahon, 2013. "What Food is to be Kept Safe and for Whom? Food-Safety Governance in an Unsafe Food System," Laws, MDPI, Open Access Journal, vol. 2(4), pages 401-427, October.
- Subervie, Julie & Vagneron, Isabelle, 2013.
"A Drop of Water in the Indian Ocean? The Impact of GlobalGap Certification on Lychee Farmers in Madagascar,"
Elsevier, vol. 50(C), pages 57-73.
- Julie Subervie & Isabelle Vagneron, 2013. "A drop of water in the Indian ocean? The impact of GlobalGap certification on lychee farmers in Madagascar," Working Papers 189575, Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique, France.
- Stephen Davey & Carol Richards, 2013. "Supermarkets and private standards: unintended consequences of the audit ritual," Agriculture and Human Values, Springer, vol. 30(2), pages 271-281, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.