Satellite broadcasting and match attendance: the case of rugby league
AbstractA recent development in the UK television industry has been the emergence of satellite and cable broadcasting. We examine the entrance of the BSkyB satellite network into the coverage of the first division of the rugby football league over the 1993-94 season. This paper extends the familiar model of sport attendance to incorporate the live television transmission of games which is found to exert a negative influence on attendance. Our result suggests considerable scope for future research in this neglected aspect of the factors affecting sport attendance.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Applied Economics Letters.
Volume (Year): 2 (1995)
Issue (Month): 10 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEL20
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Nicholas King & P Dorian Owen & Rick Audas, 2010.
"Playoff Uncertainty, Match Uncertainty and Attendance at Australian National Rugby League Matches,"
NCER Working Paper Series, National Centre for Econometric Research
61, National Centre for Econometric Research.
- Nicholas King & P. Dorian Owen & Rick Audas, 2012. "Playoff Uncertainty, Match Uncertainty and Attendance at Australian National Rugby League Matches," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 88(281), pages 262-277, 06.
- Nicholas King & P. Dorian Owen & Rick Audas, 2010. "Playoff Uncertainty, Match Uncertainty and Attendance at Australian National Rugby League Matches," Working Papers, University of Otago, Department of Economics 1007, University of Otago, Department of Economics, revised Aug 2010.
- Babatunde Buraimo, 2008. "Stadium attendance and television audience demand in English league football," Managerial and Decision Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 29(6), pages 513-523.
- repec:lan:wpaper:3710 is not listed on IDEAS
- J. Colin H. Jones & John A. Schofield & David E.A. Giles, 1999.
"Our Fans in the North: The Demand for British Rugby League,"
Econometrics Working Papers
9902, Department of Economics, University of Victoria.
- J. C. H. Jones & J. A. Schofield & D. E. A. Giles, 2000. "Our fans in the north: the demand for British Rugby League," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 32(14), pages 1877-1887.
- repec:lan:wpaper:3602 is not listed on IDEAS
- Roger G. Noll, 2007.
"Broadcasting and Team Sports,"
Discussion Papers, Stanford Institute for Economic Policy Research
06-016, Stanford Institute for Economic Policy Research.
- repec:lan:wpaper:3995 is not listed on IDEAS
- D Forrest & R Simmons, 2005. "New issues in attendance demand: the case of the English football league," Working Papers 563356, Lancaster University Management School, Economics Department.
- Stephen Dobson & John Goddard & John Wilson, 2001. "League Structure and Match Attendances in English Rugby League," International Review of Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 15(3), pages 335-351.
- Mongeon, Kevin & Winfree, Jason, 2012. "Comparison of television and gate demand in the National Basketball Association," Sport Management Review, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 15(1), pages 72-79.
- Pelnar, Gregory, 2007. "Antitrust Analysis of Sports Leagues," MPRA Paper 5382, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- repec:lan:wpaper:3604 is not listed on IDEAS
- Yamamura, Eiji & Shin, Inyong, 2008. "The influence of a leader and social interaction on attendance: The case of the Japanese professional baseball league, 1952-2003," Journal of Behavioral and Experimental Economics (formerly The Journal of Socio-Economics), Elsevier, vol. 37(4), pages 1412-1426, August.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.