Testing for persistence in aggregate and sectoral Canadian unemployment
AbstractPersistence in aggregate and sectoral Canadian unemployment is tested for. Using the corrected for short-range dependency modified rescaled-range test, it is concluded that the fluctuations in aggregate and sectoral Canadian unemployment exhibit persistence. Policies aimed at reducing inflation should embody and account for the extra cost of sustained unemployment due to its persistence.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Applied Economics Letters.
Volume (Year): 12 (2005)
Issue (Month): 14 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEL20
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Koustas, Z. & Veloce, W., 1994. "Unemployment Hysteresis in Canada: An Approach Based on Long-Memory Time Series Models," Working Papers, Brock University, Department of Economics 1994-5, Brock University, Department of Economics.
- Winter-Ebmer, Rudolf, 1991. "Some Micro Evidence on Unemployment Persistence," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 53(1), pages 27-43, February.
- Fortin, Pierre, 1989. "How 'natural' is Canada's high unemployment rate?," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 89-110, January.
- Stephen Nickell, 1997. "Unemployment and Labor Market Rigidities: Europe versus North America," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 11(3), pages 55-74, Summer.
- Cochrane, John H, 1988. "How Big Is the Random Walk in GNP?," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, University of Chicago Press, vol. 96(5), pages 893-920, October.
- AndrÃ©a Zaitune Curi & NaÃ©rcio Aquino Menezes-Filho, 2005.
"A RelaÃ§Ã£o Entre O Desempenho Escolar E Os SalÃ¡rios No Brasil,"
Anais do XXXIII Encontro Nacional de Economia [Proceedings of the 33th Brazilian Economics Meeting], ANPEC - AssociaÃ§Ã£o Nacional dos Centros de PÃ³sgraduaÃ§Ã£o em Economia [Brazilian Association of
158, ANPEC - AssociaÃ§Ã£o Nacional dos Centros de PÃ³sgraduaÃ§Ã£o em Economia [Brazilian Association of Graduate Programs in Economics].
- Curi, AndrÃ©a Zaitune & Menezes Filho, N. A., 2006. "A RelaÃ§Ã£o entre o Desempenho Escolar e os SalÃ¡rios no Brasil," Insper Working Papers, Insper Working Paper, Insper Instituto de Ensino e Pesquisa wpe_51, Insper Working Paper, Insper Instituto de Ensino e Pesquisa.
- FÃ¡bio Augusto Reis Gomes & Cleomar Gomes da Silva, 2006. "Hysteresis Vs. Nairu And Convergence Vs. Divergence: The Behavior Of Regional Unemployment Rates In Brazil," Anais do XXXIV Encontro Nacional de Economia [Proceedings of the 34th Brazilian Economics Meeting], ANPEC - AssociaÃ§Ã£o Nacional dos Centros de PÃ³sgraduaÃ§Ã£o em Economia [Brazilian Association of G 161, ANPEC - AssociaÃ§Ã£o Nacional dos Centros de PÃ³sgraduaÃ§Ã£o em Economia [Brazilian Association of Graduate Programs in Economics].
- O. Mikhail & C. J. Eberwein & J. Handa, 2006. "Estimating persistence in Canadian unemployment: evidence from a Bayesian ARFIMA," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 38(15), pages 1809-1819.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.