Semiparametric and Nonparametric Testing for Long Memory: A Monte Carlo Study
AbstractThe finite sample properties of three semiparametric estimators, several versions of the modified rescaled range, MRR, and three versions of the GHURST estimator are investigated. Their power and size for testing for long memory under short-run effects, joint shorts and long-run effects, heteroscedasticity and t-distributions are given using Monte Carlo methods. The MRR with the Bartlett window is generally robust with the disadvantage of a relatively small power. The trimmed Whittle likelihood has high power in general and is robust except for large short-run effects. The tests are applied to changes in exchange rate series (daily data) of 6 major countries. The hypothesis of no fractional integration is rejected for none of the series.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Empirical Economics.
Volume (Year): 22 (1997)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Stumpergasse 56, A-1060 Vienna
Phone: ++43 - (0)1 - 599 91 - 0
Fax: ++43 - (0)1 - 599 91 - 555
Web page: http://link.springer.de/link/service/journals/00181/index.htm
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Murphy, A. & Izzeldin, M., 2009.
"Bootstrapping long memory tests: Some Monte Carlo results,"
Computational Statistics & Data Analysis,
Elsevier, vol. 53(6), pages 2325-2334, April.
- Anthony Murphy & M Izzeldin, 2006. "Bootstrapping long memory tests: some Monte Carlo results," Working Papers 574547, Lancaster University Management School, Economics Department.
- Peters, Andrea & Sibbertsen, Philipp, 2001. "Robust tests on fractional cointegration," Technical Reports 2001,29, Technische Universität Dortmund, Sonderforschungsbereich 475: Komplexitätsreduktion in multivariaten Datenstrukturen.
- Sibbertsen, Philipp & Wegener, Christoph & Basse, Tobias, 2013.
"Testing for a Break in the Persistence in Yield Spreads of EMU Government Bonds,"
Hannover Economic Papers (HEP)
dp-517, Leibniz Universität Hannover, Wirtschaftswissenschaftliche Fakultät.
- Sibbertsen, Philipp & Wegener, Christoph & Basse, Tobias, 2014. "Testing for a break in the persistence in yield spreads of EMU government bonds," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 41(C), pages 109-118.
- Elkin Castaño & Santiago Gallón & Karoll Gómez, 2010. "Estimation Biases, Size and Power of a Test on the Long Memory Parameter in ARFIMA Models," Lecturas de Economía, Universidad de Antioquia, Departamento de Economía, issue 73, pages 131-148.
- Ossama Mikhail & Curtis J. Eberwein & Jagdish Handa, 2003. "Testing and Estimating Persistence in Canadian Unemployment," Econometrics 0311004, EconWPA.
- Giraitis, Liudas & Kokoszka, Piotr & Leipus, Remigijus & Teyssiere, Gilles, 2003.
"Rescaled variance and related tests for long memory in volatility and levels,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 112(2), pages 265-294, February.
- GIRAITIS, Liudas & KOKOSZKA, Piotr & LEIPUS, Remigijus & TEYSSIÈRE, Gilles, . "Rescaled variance and related tests for long memory in volatility and levels," CORE Discussion Papers RP -1594, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Michael Fr�mmel & Robinson Kruse, 2012.
"Testing for a rational bubble under long memory,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 12(11), pages 1723-1732, November.
- M. Frömmel & R. Kruse, 2011. "Testing for a rational bubble under long memory," Working Papers of Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, Ghent University, Belgium 11/722, Ghent University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
- Morten �rregaard Nielsen & Per Houmann Frederiksen, 2005.
"Finite Sample Comparison of Parametric, Semiparametric, and Wavelet Estimators of Fractional Integration,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 24(4), pages 405-443.
- Morten Ørregaard Nielsen & Per Frederiksen, 2005. "Finite Sample Comparison of Parametric, Semiparametric, and Wavelet Estimators of Fractional Integration," Working Papers 1189, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.