The openness-inflation puzzle revisited
AbstractDynamic panel estimates show the negative relation between trade openness and inflation found by Romer (Quarterly Journal of Economics, (VIII, 869-903, 1993) but questioned by Terra (Quarterly Journal of Economics, (XIII, 641-48, 1998) became more robust in the 1990s, both among high income OECD and developing countries. Trade openness was also associated with less variable inflation during the 1990s and had a stronger disinflation effect in economies with floating exchange rates.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Applied Economics Letters.
Volume (Year): 11 (2004)
Issue (Month): 8 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEL20
Other versions of this item:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Maria Cristina Terra, 1995.
"Openess and inflation: a new assessment,"
Textos para discussÃ£o
339, Department of Economics PUC-Rio (Brazil).
- Christopher Bowdler, 2003.
"Openness and the Output-Inflation Tradeoff,"
2003-W04, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Christopher Bowdler, 2004. "Openness and the output-inflation tradeoff," Money Macro and Finance (MMF) Research Group Conference 2003 7, Money Macro and Finance Research Group.
- David Romer, 1998. "A New Assessment Of Openness And Inflation: Reply," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 113(2), pages 649-652, May.
- Arellano, Manuel & Bover, Olympia, 1995.
"Another look at the instrumental variable estimation of error-components models,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 68(1), pages 29-51, July.
- M Arellano & O Bover, 1990. "Another Look at the Instrumental Variable Estimation of Error-Components Models," CEP Discussion Papers dp0007, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Romer, David, 1993.
"Openness and Inflation: Theory and Evidence,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 108(4), pages 869-903, November.
- Lane, Philip R., 1997. "Inflation in open economies," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 42(3-4), pages 327-347, May.
- Guender, Alfred V. & McCaw, Sharon, 2000. "The inflationary bias in a model of the open economy: a note," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 68(2), pages 173-178, August.
- Claudio E. V. Borio & Andrew Filardo, 2007. "Globalisation and inflation: New cross-country evidence on the global determinants of domestic inflation," BIS Working Papers 227, Bank for International Settlements.
- Valderrama, Maria Teresa & Gnan, Ernest, 2006. "Globalization, Inflation and Monetary Policy," Monetary Policy & the Economy, Oesterreichische Nationalbank (Austrian Central Bank), issue 4, pages 37â54.
- Lein, Sarah M. & León-Ledesma, Miguel A. & Nerlich, Carolin, 2008.
"How is real convergence driving nominal convergence in the new EU Member States?,"
Journal of International Money and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 227-248, March.
- Lein-Rupprecht, Sarah M. & León-Ledesma, Miguel A. & Nerlich, Carolin, 2007. "How is real convergence driving nominal convergence in the new EU Member States?," Working Paper Series 0827, European Central Bank.
- Cavelaars, Paul, 2009. "Does globalisation discipline monetary policymakers?," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 28(3), pages 392-405, April.
- Ciżkowicz, Piotr & Rzońca, Andrzej, 2013.
"Does inflation harm corporate investment? Empirical evidence from OECD countries,"
Economics - The Open-Access, Open-Assessment E-Journal,
Kiel Institute for the World Economy, vol. 7(16), pages 1-38.
- Ciżkowicz, Piotr & Rzońca, Andrzej, 2012. "Does inflation harm corporate investment? Empirical evidence from OECD countries," Economics Discussion Papers 2012-63, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Christopher Bowdler & Adeel Malik, 2005.
"Openness and inflation volatility: cross-country evidence,"
CSAE Working Paper Series
2005-08, Centre for the Study of African Economies, University of Oxford.
- Christopher Bowdler & Adeel Malik, 2005. "Openness and inflation volatility: Cross-country evidence," Economics Papers 2005-W14, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- César Calderón & Klaus Schmidt Hebbel, 2008.
"What Drives Inflation in the World?,"
Working Papers Central Bank of Chile
491, Central Bank of Chile.
- Siklos, Pierre L., 2010. "Meeting Maastricht: Nominal convergence of the new member states toward EMU," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 507-515, March.
- Harald Badinger, 2008.
"Globalization,the Output-Inflation Tradeoff, and Inflation,"
FIW Working Paper series
- Badinger, Harald, 2009. "Globalization, the output-inflation tradeoff and inflation," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 53(8), pages 888-907, November.
- Ciżkowicz, Piotr & Rzońca, Andrzej, 2010. "Inflation and corporate investment in selected OECD countries in the years 1960-2005 – an empirical analysis," MPRA Paper 29846, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Christopher Bowdler & Luca Nunziata, 2005.
"Trade union density and inflation performance: evidence from OECD panel data,"
"Marco Fanno" Working Papers
0009, Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche "Marco Fanno".
- C. Bowdler & L. Nunziata, 2007. "Trade Union Density and Inflation Performance: Evidence from OECD Panel Data," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 74(293), pages 135-159, 02.
- Paul Cavelaars, 2005. "Globalisation and Monetary Policy," DNB Working Papers 048, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
- Mark A. Wynne & Erasmus K. Kersting, 2007. "Openness and inflation," Staff Papers, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas, issue Apr.
- Barlow, David, 2010. "How did structural reform influence inflation in transition economies?," Economic Systems, Elsevier, vol. 34(2), pages 198-210, June.
- Tahir Mukhtar, 2010. "Does Trade Openness Reduce Inflation? Empirical Evidence from Pakistan," Lahore Journal of Economics, Department of Economics, The Lahore School of Economics, vol. 15(2), pages 35-50, Jul-Dec.
- Christopher Bowdler & Luca Nunziata, 2004. "Labour Markets Institutions and Inflation Performance: Evidence from OECD panel data," Money Macro and Finance (MMF) Research Group Conference 2004 29, Money Macro and Finance Research Group.
- Jeffrey Frankel, 2009. "Comment on "The Simple Geometry of Transmission and Stabilization in Closed and Open Economies"," NBER Chapters, in: NBER International Seminar on Macroeconomics 2007, pages 119-129 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.