Training and job mobility among young workers in the United States
AbstractUsing data from the National Longitudinal Survey of Youth from 1987 to 1992, the determinants of training and the impact of training on job turnover are examined for young private sector workers in the United States. It is found that the receipt of company training is positively correlated with education, ability, and prior tenure at the job. The results provide only limited evidence that company training reduces turnover. There is substantial evidence, however, that training which is not financed by employers increases job mobility. The results imply that training plays an important role in the job search and job matching process among young workers. JEL classification: J24, J41, J63
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Journal of Population Economics.
Volume (Year): 10 (1997)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Note: Received December 11, 1995/Accepted June 27, 1996
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://link.springer.de/link/service/journals/00148/index.htm
More information through EDIRC
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- J24 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demand and Supply of Labor - - - Human Capital; Skills; Occupational Choice; Labor Productivity
- J41 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Particular Labor Markets - - - Labor Contracts
- J63 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Mobility, Unemployment, Vacancies, and Immigrant Workers - - - Turnover; Vacancies; Layoffs
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Mark C. Berger & John S. Earle & Klara Sabirianova, 2000.
"Worker Training in a Restructuring Economy: Evidence from the Russian Transition,"
William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series
331, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Mark C. Berger & John S. Earle & Klara Sabirianova, 2001. "Worker Training in a Restructuring Economy: Evidence from the Russian Transition," Book chapters authored by Upjohn Institute researchers, in: Soloman W. Polachek (ed.), Worker Wellbeing in a Changing Labor Market, pages 159-189 W.E. Upjohn Institute for Employment Research.
- Berger, Mark C. & Earle, John S. & Peter, Klara Sabirianova, 2001. "Worker Training in a Restructuring Economy: Evidence from the Russian Transition," IZA Discussion Papers 361, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Zweimüller, Josef & Winter-Ebmer, Rudolf, 2000.
"Firm-specific Training: Consequences for Job Mobility,"
IZA Discussion Papers
138, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Josef Zweimueller & Rudolf Winter-Ebmer, . "Firm-specific Training: Consequences for Job Mobility," IEW - Working Papers 037, Institute for Empirical Research in Economics - University of Zurich.
- Josef Zweimüller & Rudolf Winter-Ebmer, 2000. "Firm-specific training: Consequences for job mobility," Economics working papers 2000-06, Department of Economics, Johannes Kepler University Linz, Austria.
- Russell Smyth & Qingguo Zhai & Xiaoxu Li, 2008.
"Determinants Of Turnover Intentions Among Chinese Off Farm Migrants,"
Monash Economics Working Papers
03/08, Monash University, Department of Economics.
- Russell Smyth & Qingguo Zhai & Xiaoxu Li, 2009. "Determinants of turnover intentions among Chinese off farm migrants," Economic Change and Restructuring, Springer, vol. 42(3), pages 189-209, August.
- Yanick Labrie & Claude Montmarquette, 2005. "La formation qualifiante et transférable en milieu de travail," CIRANO Project Reports 2005rp-04, CIRANO.
- Kan, Kamhon, 2002. "Residential mobility with job location uncertainty," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 52(3), pages 501-523, November.
- Colin Green & J S Heywood, 2007. "Does profit sharing increase training by reducing turnover?," Working Papers 589032, Lancaster University Management School, Economics Department.
- Michael Gerfin & Robert E. Leu & Reto Nyffeler, 2003. "Berufliche Weiterbildung in der Schweiz," Diskussionsschriften dp0318, Universitaet Bern, Departement Volkswirtschaft.
- Vilhuber, Lars, 2001. "La spécificité de la formation en milieu de travail : un survol des contributions théoriques et empiriques récentes," L'Actualité Economique, Société Canadienne de Science Economique, vol. 77(1), pages 133-167, mars.
- Josef Zweimüller & Rudolf Winter-Ebmer, 2003. "On-the-job-training, job search and job mobility," Swiss Journal of Economics and Statistics (SJES), Swiss Society of Economics and Statistics (SSES), vol. 139(IV), pages 563-576, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.