Energy-saving regulations and commodity prices
AbstractThis paper studies how environmental regulations affect prices. We use monthly point-of-sale data in the Japanese refrigerator market and employ the hedonic approach. Our central issue of environmental regulations involve two different types: one is the energy-saving regulation by government at the leading runner approach, associated with an eco-label. The second is the non-chlorofluorocarbon regulation resulting from industry self-regulation. As a result of Box–Cox regressions, we find that these environmental regulations result in a rise in price. Copyright Springer 2013
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Society for Environmental Economics and Policy Studies - SEEPS in its journal Environmental Economics and Policy Studies.
Volume (Year): 15 (2013)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- Q51 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Environmental Economics - - - Valuation of Environmental Effects
- Q48 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Energy - - - Government Policy
- L51 - Industrial Organization - - Regulation and Industrial Policy - - - Economics of Regulation
- L64 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Manufacturing - - - Other Machinery; Business Equipment; Armaments
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Thomas Bue Bjorner & Lars Garn Hansen & Clifford S. Russell, 2002.
"Environmental Labelling and Consumer's Choice - An Empirical Analysis of the Effect of the Nordic Swan,"
Vanderbilt University Department of Economics Working Papers
0203, Vanderbilt University Department of Economics.
- Bjorner, Thomas Bue & Hansen, L.G.Lars Garn & Russell, Clifford S., 2004. "Environmental labeling and consumers' choice--an empirical analysis of the effect of the Nordic Swan," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 47(3), pages 411-434, May.
- Leggett, Christopher G. & Bockstael, Nancy E., 2000. "Evidence of the Effects of Water Quality on Residential Land Prices," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 39(2), pages 121-144, March.
- Rosen, Sherwin, 1974. "Hedonic Prices and Implicit Markets: Product Differentiation in Pure Competition," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 82(1), pages 34-55, Jan.-Feb..
- Christos Ioannidis & Mick Silver, 2003. "Chained, exact and superlative hedonic price changes: estimates from microdata," Applied Economics, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 35(9), pages 1005-1014.
- Michele M. Veeman, 1987. "Hedonic Price Functions for Wheat in the World Market: Implications for Canadian Wheat Export Strategy," Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics/Revue canadienne d'agroeconomie, Canadian Agricultural Economics Society/Societe canadienne d'agroeconomie, vol. 35(3), pages 535-552, November.
- Wesley Nimon & John Beghin, 1999.
"Are Eco-Labels Valuable? Evidence From the Apparel Industry,"
American Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 81(4), pages 801-811.
- Wesley Nimon & John C. Beghin, 1998. "Are Eco-Labels Valuable? Evidence from the Apparel Industry," Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) Publications 99-wp213, Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) at Iowa State University.
- Nimon, R. Wesley & Beghin, John C., 1998. "Are Eco-Labels Valuable? Evidence From The Apparel Industry," 1998 Annual meeting, August 2-5, Salt Lake City, UT 21016, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Nimon, W. & Beghin, John C., 2008. "Are Eco-Labels Valuable? Evidence from the Apparel Industry," Staff General Research Papers 12741, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Nimon, Wesley & Beghin, John C., 1999. "Are Eco-Labels Valuable? Evidence from the Apparel Industry," Staff General Research Papers 1514, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Feenstra, R.C., 1995.
"Exact Hedonic Price Indexes,"
Department of Economics
95-11, California Davis - Department of Economics.
- Teisl, Mario F. & Roe, Brian & Hicks, Robert L., 2002. "Can Eco-Labels Tune a Market? Evidence from Dolphin-Safe Labeling," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 43(3), pages 339-359, May.
- Greening, Lorna A & Sanstad, Alan H & McMahon, James E, 1997. "Effects of Appliance Standards on Product Price and Attributes: An Hedonic Pricing Model," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 11(2), pages 181-94, March.
- Thomas I. Wahl & Hongqi Shi & Ron C. Mittelhammer, 1995. "A hedonic price analysis of quality characteristics of Japanese wagyu beef," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 11(1), pages 35-44.
- Blamey, R. K. & Bennett, J. W. & Louviere, J. J. & Morrison, M. D. & Rolfe, J., 2000. "A test of policy labels in environmental choice modelling studies," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(2), pages 269-286, February.
- Sudip Chattopadhyay, 1999. "Estimating the Demand for Air Quality: New Evidence Based on the Chicago Housing Market," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 75(1), pages 22-38.
- Richard Carew, 2000. "A Hedonic Analysis of Apple Prices and Product Quality Characteristics in British Columbia," Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics/Revue canadienne d'agroeconomie, Canadian Agricultural Economics Society/Societe canadienne d'agroeconomie, vol. 48(3), pages 241-257, November.
- Wilson, William W., 1984. "Hedonic Prices In The Malting Barley Market," Western Journal of Agricultural Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 9(01), July.
- Combris, Pierre & Lecocq, Sebastien & Visser, Michael, 1997. "Estimation for a Hedonic Price Equation for Bordeaux Wine: Does Quality Matter?," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 107(441), pages 390-402, March.
- Christos Ioannidis & Mick Silver, 1999. "Estimating exact hedonic indexes: An application to UK television sets," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 69(1), pages 71-94, February.
- Geoghegan, Jacqueline & Wainger, Lisa A. & Bockstael, Nancy E., 1997. "Spatial landscape indices in a hedonic framework: an ecological economics analysis using GIS," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 23(3), pages 251-264, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.