Fiscal Decentralization and Trust
AbstractUsing data from U.S. states and various measures of decentralization, I investigate the relationship between fiscal decentralization and trust. I find that a one standard deviation increase in either revenue decentralization or expenditure decentralization causes the share of trusting people in a state to increase by almost 4 percentage points. A one standard deviation increase in the number of governments, however, causes trust to increase by almost 2.5 percentage points. The results are robust to endogeneity.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by in its journal Public Finance Review.
Volume (Year): 38 (2010)
Issue (Month): 2 (March)
Contact details of provider:
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Díaz Serrano, Lluís & Rodríguez Pose, Andrés, 2013.
"Decentralization and the Welfare State: What Do Citizens Perceive?,"
2072/222195, Universitat Rovira i Virgili, Department of Economics.
- Diaz-Serrano, Luis & Rodríguez-Pose, Andrés, 2014. "Decentralization and the Welfare State: What Do Citizens Perceive?," MPRA Paper 54123, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- James Alm & Robert D. Buschman & David L. Sjoquist, 0.
"Citizen "Trust" as an Explanation of State Education Funding to Local School Districts,"
Publius: The Journal of Federalism,
Oxford University Press, vol. 41(4), pages 636-661.
- James Alm & Robert D. Buschman & David L. Sjoquist, 2012. "Citizen "Trust" as an Explanation of State Education Funding to Local School Districts," Working Papers 1208, Tulane University, Department of Economics.
- Zhiguo Wang & Liang Ma, 2014. "Fiscal Decentralization in China: A Literature Review," Annals of Economics and Finance, Society for AEF, vol. 15(1), pages 51-65, May.
- Dincer, Oguzhan C., 2011. "Trust and schooling in the United States," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 30(5), pages 1097-1102, October.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (SAGE Publications).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.