Envois de fonds, inégalité et pauvreté au Burkina Faso
AbstractBased on the household surveys, carried out in1994_95, the present study underlines the impact of remittances on the inequality and poverty in Burkina Faso, a country again largely dependent of the emigration to neighbor countries. Firstly, whereas transfers play an important role to raise the standard of living of households, the redistribution is especially the expression of the mobilisation of a social capital. Remittances - of which about half come from CÃ´te d'Ivoire - represent the three quarters of the whole of the transfers and relate to about a third of the households burkinabÃ¨, especially poorest - profiting more from the international transfers - and those of the rural sector managed by a woman. Secondly, the decomposition of the sources of incomes shows that, as a whole, the transfers - considered as exogenous - tend to have an equalizing effect on the household income distribution in Burkina Faso. In this respect, the simulation indicates that the nonremittance incomes raise the inequality of the total income, whereas the remittances have an opposite effect. Moreover, if the variation of wellbeing results, initially, of the changes related to the nonremittance incomes, on the one hand, the increase of remittances has a substantial impact on the wellbeing of the rural households and, on the other hand, in the cities, the incidence of the institutional redistribution on the wellbeing is quasi_identical to the importance of the remittances. Thirdly, by underlining the fruitfulness of an approach viewing the remittances as a potential substitute of home earnings, the econometric analysis shows that the impact of the remittances is to reduce the headcount poverty of the rural households of 7,2 points of percentage, the mobilization of the social capital especially affecting the poverty and the inequality of the most vulnerable - subsistence farmers and inactive people, households managed by a woman. In the towns, the ratio of poverty of the households is re
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Programme National Persée in its journal Tiers-Monde.
Volume (Year): 40 (1999)
Issue (Month): 160 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.persee.fr/web/revues/home/prescript/revue/tiers
Other versions of this item:
- Jean-Pierre Lachaud, 1999. "Envoi de fonds, inégalité et pauvreté au Burkina Faso," Documents de travail 40, Groupe d'Economie du Développement de l'Université Montesquieu Bordeaux IV.
- C35 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Discrete Regression and Qualitative Choice Models; Discrete Regressors; Proportions
- J24 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demand and Supply of Labor - - - Human Capital; Skills; Occupational Choice; Labor Productivity
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Wouterse, F. S., 2008. "Migration, poverty, and inequality: Evidence from Burkina Faso," IFPRI discussion papers 786, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Jean-Pierre Lachaud, 2005.
"Crise ivoirienne, envois de fonds et pauvreté au Burkina Faso,"
Revue Tiers Monde,
Programme National Persée, vol. 46(183), pages 651-673.
- Jean-Pierre Lachaud, 2005. "Crise ivoirienne, envois de fonds et pauvreté au Burkina Faso," Revue Tiers-Monde, Armand Colin, vol. 0(3), pages 651-673.
- Jean-Pierre Lachaud, 2004. "Crise ivoirienne, envois de fonds et pauvreté au Burkina Faso," Documents de travail 90, Groupe d'Economie du Développement de l'Université Montesquieu Bordeaux IV.
- Nkamleu, Guy Blaise & Fox, Louise, 2006. "Taking Stock of Research on Regional Migration in Sub-Saharan Africa," MPRA Paper 15112, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Lisa Chauvet & Flore Gubert & Sandrine Mesplé-Somps, 2009.
"Are Remittances More Effective Than Aid To Reduce Child Mortality? An Empirical Assessment using Inter and Intra-Country Data,"
DT/2009/11, DIAL (Développement, Institutions et Mondialisation).
- Mesplé-Somps, Sandrine & Gubert, Flore & Chauvet, Lisa, 2010. "Are Remittances More Effective Than Aid to Reduce Child Mortality? An Empirical Assessment Using Inter and Intra-Country Data," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/4301, Paris Dauphine University.
- de Janvry, Alain & Sadoulet, Elisabeth & Zhu, Nong, 2005.
"The role of non-farm incomes in reducing rural poverty and inequality in China,"
CUDARE Working Paper Series
1001, University of California at Berkeley, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics and Policy.
- de Janvry, Alain & Sadoulet, Elisabeth & Zhu, Nong, 2005. "The Role of Non-Farm Incomes in Reducing Rural Poverty and Inequality in China," Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley, Working Paper Series qt7ts2z766, Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley.
- Taruvinga, Amon & Mushunje, Abbyssinia, 2012. "Buffer zone income dynamics for the sub-district producer community: Implications for rural off-farm income, income inequality and the development of household agriculture," 2012 Conference, August 18-24, 2012, Foz do Iguacu, Brazil 126377, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Chauvet, Lisa & Gubert, Flore & Mesplé-Somps, Sandrine, 2008. "Are Remittances More Effective Than Aid To Improve Child Health? An Empirical Assessment using Inter and Intra-Country Data," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/10707, Paris Dauphine University.
- Zhu, Nong & Luo, Xubei, 2006. "Nonfarm activity and rural income inequality : a case study of two provinces in China," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3811, The World Bank.
- Zhu, Nong & Luo, Xubei, 2008. "The impact of remittances on rural poverty and inequality in China," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4637, The World Bank.
- Jean-Marc Montaud, 2002. "Ajustement structurel et inégalités des revenus en Afrique : une analyse de décomposition appliquée au Burkina-faso," Documents de travail 75, Groupe d'Economie du Développement de l'Université Montesquieu Bordeaux IV.
- Laetitia Duval & François-Charles Wolff, 2009. "L'effet des transferts migratoires sur la déforestation dans les pays en développement," Working Papers hal-00421222, HAL.
- Yacouba Diallo, 2001. "Les déterminants du travail des enfants en Côte d'Ivoire," Documents de travail 55, Groupe d'Economie du Développement de l'Université Montesquieu Bordeaux IV.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Equipe PERSEE).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.