Remittances and Household Welfare: A Case Study of Pakistan
AbstractThis paper examines the impact of remittances on economy and household welfare in Pakistan by using a general equilibrium framework and microeconometric analysis. The first approach is to highlight the macroeconomic and sectoral effects of a reduction in remittances, while the second is to show how remittances decrease the probability of being poor and affect the household consumption expenditure and hence poverty. The findings suggest that reduction in remittances will reduce gross domestic product, investment, and household consumption, which in turn will increase poverty. On the other hand, the probability of households becoming poor decreases by 12.7% if they receive remittances. The poverty headcount ratio and Gini coefficient decline by 7.8% and 4.8%, respectively, for household-receiving remittances. Given the important role of remittance, the key challenge for the government is to provide incentives to attract more remittances sent through formal channels and ensure their productive use.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Asian Development Bank in its series ADB Economics Working Paper Series with number 194.
Length: 50 pages
Date of creation: Feb 2010
Date of revision:
International Migration and Remittances; Household Welfare; Poverty; Inequality; CGE Model; Microeconometrics; Pakistan;
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Kumar, Ronald R., 2011. "Role of Financial and Technology Inclusion, Remittances and Exports vis-à-vis growth: A study of Nepal," MPRA Paper 38850, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 17 May 2012.
- Kumar, Ronald/R, 2011. "Role of Trade, Aid, Remittances and Financial Development in Pakistan," MPRA Paper 38871, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Maria Guia S. de Guzman) The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Maria Guia S. de Guzman to update the entry or send us the correct address.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.