Taking Stock of Research on Regional Migration in Sub-Saharan Africa
AbstractThis study reviews a host of issues related to international migration in Sub-Saharan Africa and presents an overview of the state of the art of research and knowl-edge. Its aim is to identify policies and research areas that will improve understanding and management of migration in Sub-Sahara Africa and help maximize the potential benefits of migration, especially for poor people, while minimizing its risks and costs. The study covers a broad range of issues in the migration literature, but is not exhaustive. This report first provides a historical overview of migration in Sub-Saharan Af-rica and then examines the scale and regional trends of migration. It explores the intersec-tions between migration and labor market and the links between migration and develop-ment. It also looks at institutions and policies and investigates issues related to politics, ethics, and migration before exploring implications for further investigation.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 15112.
Date of creation: 2006
Date of revision:
Migration; Remittance; Economic development; Sub-Saharan Africa;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- J61 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Mobility, Unemployment, and Vacancies - - - Geographic Labor Mobility; Immigrant Workers
- O16 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Financial Markets; Saving and Capital Investment; Corporate Finance and Governance
- J68 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Mobility, Unemployment, and Vacancies - - - Public Policy
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gustafsson, Bjorn & Makonnen, Negatu, 1993. "Poverty and Remittances in Lesotho," Journal of African Economies, Centre for the Study of African Economies (CSAE), vol. 2(1), pages 49-73, May.
- Jean-Pierre Lachaud, 1999.
"Envois de fonds, inégalité et pauvreté au Burkina Faso,"
Revue Tiers Monde,
Programme National Persée, vol. 40(160), pages 793-827.
- Jean-Pierre Lachaud, 1999. "Envoi de fonds, inégalité et pauvreté au Burkina Faso," Documents de travail 40, Groupe d'Economie du Développement de l'Université Montesquieu Bordeaux IV.
- Djajic, Slobodan, 1986. "International migration, remittances and welfare in a dependent economy," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 21(2), pages 229-234, May.
- Frank Place & S. E. Migot-Adholla, 1997.
"The Economic Effects of Land Registration on Smallholder Farms in Kenya: Evidence from Nyeri and Kakamega Districts,"
University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 73(3), pages 360-373.
- Frank Place & S. E. Migot-Adholla, 1998. "The Economic Effects of Land Registration on Smallholder Farms in Kenya: Evidence from Nyeri and Kakamega Districts," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 74(3), pages 360-373.
- Vijverberg, Wim P M, 1993.
"Labour Market Performance as a Determinant of Migration,"
London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 60(238), pages 143-60, May.
- Vijverberg, W.P.M., 1989. "Labor Market Performance As A Determinant Of Migration," Papers 59, World Bank - Living Standards Measurement.
- Azam, Jean-Paul & Gubert, Flore, 2005. "Migrant Remittances and Economic Development in Africa: A Review of Evidence," IDEI Working Papers 354, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Mohammed El Qorchi & John F. Wilson & Samuel Munzele Maimbo, 2003. "Informal Funds Transfer Systems: An Analysis of the Informal Hawala System," IMF Occasional Papers 222, International Monetary Fund.
- Rivera-Batiz, Francisco L., 1982. "International migration, non-traded goods and economic welfare in the source country," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 11(1), pages 81-90, August.
- Chiswick, Barry R, 1978. "The Effect of Americanization on the Earnings of Foreign-born Men," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 86(5), pages 897-921, October.
- John Page & Sonia Plaza, 2006. "Migration Remittances and Development: A Review of Global Evidence," Journal of African Economies, Centre for the Study of African Economies (CSAE), vol. 15(2), pages 245-336, December.
- Ranjan Ray, 2001. "Child Labour and Child Schooling in South Asia: A Cross Country Study of their Determinants," ASARC Working Papers 2001-09, The Australian National University, Australia South Asia Research Centre.
- Guy B. Nkamleu & Anne Kielland, 2006. "Modeling farmers' decisions on child labor and schooling in the cocoa sector: a multinomial logit analysis in C�te d'Ivoire," Agricultural Economics, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 35(3), pages 319-333, November.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.