Air Accessibility and Export Capability of the Italian Manufacturing Industry
AbstractThis paper provides empirical evidence on the role played by air services as improvementin export capability of the Italian manufacturers in Europe. We find that the existence of adirect connection improves the exports of Italian firms, especially when flights are operated by traditional carriers. From the baseline econometric model, it emerges that the export elasticity to direct flights is about 4 per cent. The impact of air accessibility on exports is more pronounced on firms located in Southern Central Italy than on firms located in the Northern part of Italy.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Società editrice il Mulino in its journal L'industria.
Volume (Year): (2012)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
Contact details of provider:
Airlines; Export; Traditional Carriers; Low-Cost Carriers; Manufacturing;
Other versions of this item:
- Marco Alderighi & Alberto Gaggero, 2012. "Accessibilità aerea e capacità esportativa del manifatturiero italiano," Quaderni di Dipartimento 163, University of Pavia, Department of Economics and Quantitative Methods.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Marco Percoco, 2010. "Airport Activity and Local Development: Evidence from Italy," Urban Studies, Urban Studies Journal Limited, vol. 47(11), pages 2427-2443, October.
- Di Berardino Claudio & Mauro Giuseppe, 2010. "Industrial Districts in Italy between Change and Crisis. A Comparative Analysis at Provincial Level," L'industria, Società editrice il Mulino, issue 3, pages 533-548.
- Keith Head & John Ries, 2010.
"Do trade missions increase trade?,"
Canadian Journal of Economics,
Canadian Economics Association, vol. 43(3), pages 754-775, August.
- David Aschauer, 1988.
"Is public expenditure productive?,"
88-7, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- N. Kulendran & Kenneth Wilson, 2000. "Is there a relationship between international trade and international travel?," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 32(8), pages 1001-1009.
- Antonio Accetturo & Anna Giunta & Salvatore Rossi, 2011.
"The Italian firms between crisis and the new globalization,"
Questioni di Economia e Finanza (Occasional Papers)
86, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Accetturo Antonio & Giunta Anna & Rossi Salvatore, 2011. "The Italian Firms between Crisis and the new Globalization," L'industria, Società editrice il Mulino, issue 1, pages 145-164.
- Joachim Jarreau & Sandra Poncet, 2009. "Export Sophistication and Economic Performance: Evidence from Chinese Provinces," Working Papers 2009-34, CEPII research center.
- Feenstra, Robert & Kee, Hiau Looi, 2008. "Export variety and country productivity: Estimating the monopolistic competition model with endogenous productivity," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 74(2), pages 500-518, March.
- Klaassen, Franc, 2004.
"Why is it so difficult to find an effect of exchange rate risk on trade?,"
Journal of International Money and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 23(5), pages 817-839, September.
- Klaassen, F.J.G.M., 1999. "Why is it so Difficult to Find An Effect of Exchange Rate Risk on Trade?," Discussion Paper 1999-73, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Franc Klaassen, 2000. "Why is it so Difficult to Find an Effect of Exchange Rate Risk on Trade?," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 0133, Econometric Society.
- Jeffrey A. Frankel, 1998. "The Regionalization of the World Economy," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number fran98-1, December.
- Jeffrey Frankel & Andrew Rose, 2002.
"An Estimate Of The Effect Of Common Currencies On Trade And Income,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 117(2), pages 437-466, May.
- Frankel, Jeffrey & Rose, Andrew K., 2001. "An Estimate of the Effect of Common Currencies on Trade and Income," Working Paper Series rwp01-013, Harvard University, John F. Kennedy School of Government.
- Lee, Jim, 2011. "Export specialization and economic growth around the world," Economic Systems, Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 45-63, March.
- Krugman, Paul, 1991.
"Increasing Returns and Economic Geography,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 99(3), pages 483-99, June.
- Martin, Philippe & Rogers, Carol Ann, 1994.
"Industrial Location and Public Infrastructure,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
909, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Giorgia Giovannetti & Hossein Samiei, 1995.
"Hysteresis in Exports,"
IMF Working Papers
95/52, International Monetary Fund.
- Granger, C W J, 1969. "Investigating Causal Relations by Econometric Models and Cross-Spectral Methods," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 37(3), pages 424-38, July.
- Rosenthal, Stuart S. & Strange, William C., 2001. "The Determinants of Agglomeration," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 50(2), pages 191-229, September.
- Rose, Andrew K., 1990. "Exchange rates and the trade balance : Some evidence from developing countries," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 34(3), pages 271-275, November.
- Gramlich, Edward M, 1994. "Infrastructure Investment: A Review Essay," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 32(3), pages 1176-96, September.
- Kristopher S. Gerardi & Adam Hale Shapiro, 2009. "Does Competition Reduce Price Dispersion? New Evidence from the Airline Industry," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 117(1), pages 1-37, 02.
- J. A. Hausman, 1976.
"Specification Tests in Econometrics,"
185, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Cristea, Anca D., 2011.
"Buyer-seller relationships in international trade: Evidence from U.S. States' exports and business-class travel,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 84(2), pages 207-220, July.
- Cristea, Anca D., 2011. "Buyer-Seller Relationships in International Trade: Evidence from U.S. States' Exports and Business-Class Travel," MPRA Paper 30347, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.