Airport Activity and Local Development: Evidence from Italy
AbstractThe role of infrastructure as a factor of growth and development of countries and regions is often considered to be crucial. Among the various types of transport infrastructure, airports are considered as particularly strategic because of the increasing importance of air transport in connecting territories. This paper studies the impact of airports on Italian provinces. To this end, it builds on the framework proposed by Brueckner, where sectoral employment is regressed on a series of controls and on airline traffic. That framework is extended to take account of selection bias due to the location choices of airports and spatial spillover effects. It is found that the elasticity of service-sector employment to airport passengers is 0.045 and that of spillover effects due to neighbouring airports is almost 0.017.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Urban Studies Journal Limited in its journal Urban Studies.
Volume (Year): 47 (2010)
Issue (Month): 11 (October)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.gla.ac.uk/departments/urbanstudiesjournal
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Marco Alderighi & Alberto Gaggero, 2012.
"Accessibilità aerea e capacità esportativa del manifatturiero italiano,"
Quaderni di Dipartimento
163, University of Pavia, Department of Economics and Quantitative Methods.
- Alderighi Marco & Gaggero Alberto A., 2012. "Air Accessibility and Export Capability of the Italian Manufacturing Industry," L'industria, Società editrice il Mulino, issue 4, pages 635-662.
- Robert Malina & Sascha Albers & Nathalie Kroll, 2012.
"Airport Incentive Programmes: A European Perspective,"
Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 32(4), pages 435-453, April.
- Malina, Robert & Albers, Sascha & Kroll, Nathalie, 2011. "Airport incentive programs: A European perspective," Working Paper Series 107, University of Cologne, Department of Business Policy and Logistics.
- TamÃ¡s Dusek & MiklÃ³s Lukovics & Patrick Bohl, 2011. "The economic impact of the Budapest Airport on the local economy," ERSA conference papers ersa11p1228, European Regional Science Association.
- Gitto, Simone & Mancuso, Paolo, 2012. "Bootstrapping the Malmquist indexes for Italian airports," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 135(1), pages 403-411.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (SAGE Publications).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.