Is there a relationship between international trade and international travel?
AbstractThis paper investigates, for the first time, whether there is a relationship between international trade and international travel flows using time series econometric techniques. Using data for Australia and four important travel and trading partners, the USA, the UK, NZ and Japan, the paper tests three specific hypotheses: that business travel leads to international trade; that international trade leads to international travel; and that international travel, other than business travel, leads to international trade. Using cointegration and Granger-causality approaches the paper finds support for prior beliefs that there is a relationship between international travel and international trade, and suggests that this may be a fruitful area for further research.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Applied Economics.
Volume (Year): 32 (2000)
Issue (Month): 8 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEC20
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Daniel S. Hamermesh, 2005.
"The Value of Peripatetic Economists: A Sesqui-Difference Evaluation of Bob Gregory,"
NBER Working Papers
11453, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Daniel S. Hamermesh, 2006. "The Value of Peripatetic Economists: A Sesqui-Difference Evaluation of Bob Gregory," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 82(257), pages 138-149, 06.
- Hamermesh, Daniel S., 2005. "The Value of Peripatetic Economists: A Sesqui-Difference Evaluation of Bob Gregory," IZA Discussion Papers 1580, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Ben Dolman, 2007. "Patterns of Migration, Trade and Foreign Direct Investment across OECD Countries," DEGIT Conference Papers c012_030, DEGIT, Dynamics, Economic Growth, and International Trade.
- Samina Khalil & Mehmood Khan Kakar & Waliullah, 2007. "Role of Tourism in Economic Growth: Empirical Evidence from Pakistan Economy," The Pakistan Development Review, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics, vol. 46(4), pages 985-995.
- Alderighi Marco & Gaggero Alberto A., 2012.
"Air Accessibility and Export Capability of the Italian Manufacturing Industry,"
Società editrice il Mulino, issue 4, pages 635-662.
- Marco Alderighi & Alberto Gaggero, 2012. "Accessibilità aerea e capacità esportativa del manifatturiero italiano," Quaderni di Dipartimento 163, University of Pavia, Department of Economics and Quantitative Methods.
- Fischer, Christian & Gil-Alana, Luis A., 2007.
"The nature of the relationship between international tourism and international trade: the case of German imports of Spanish wine,"
57033, University of Bonn, Institute for Food and Resource Economics.
- Christian Fischer & Luis Gil-Alana, 2009. "The nature of the relationship between international tourism and international trade: the case of German imports of Spanish wine," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 41(11), pages 1345-1359.
- Fischer, Christian & Gil-Alana, Luis A., 2006. "The Nature of the Relationship between International Tourism and International Trade: The Case of German Imports of Spanish Wine," 2006 Annual Meeting, August 12-18, 2006, Queensland, Australia 25341, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Fischer, Christian & Gil-Alana, Luis A., 2006. "The nature of the relationship between international tourism and international trade: the case of German imports of Spanish wine," 98th Seminar, June 29-July 2, 2006, Chania, Crete, Greece 10049, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Lokman Gunduz & Abdulnasser Hatemi-J, 2005. "Is the tourism-led growth hypothesis valid for Turkey?," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 12(8), pages 499-504.
- María Santana-Gallego & Francisco Ledesma-Rodríguez & Jorge Pérez-Rodríguez, 2011. "Tourism and trade in OECD countries. A dynamic heterogeneous panel data analysis," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 41(2), pages 533-554, October.
- Sarmidi, Tamat & Salleh, Norlida H, 2010. "Dynamic inter-relationship between trade, economic growth and tourism in Malaysia," MPRA Paper 21056, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Christian Fischer & Luis Alberiko Gil-Alana, 2005. "The Nature of the Relationship between International Tourism and International Trade: The Case of Ge," Faculty Working Papers 15/05, School of Economics and Business Administration, University of Navarra.
- Gil-Alana, Luis A. & Fischer, Christian, 2007. "International traveling and trade: further evidence for the case of Spanish wine based on fractional VAR specifications," 105th Seminar, March 8-10, 2007, Bologna, Italy 7859, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.