Constructing Commercial Indices: A Semiparametric Adaptive Estimator Approach
AbstractConstant-quality commercial indices generated by ordinary least squares may suffer an efficiency loss due to leptokurtosis caused by outliers in transactions data. When the subsequent nonnormality occurs, substantial improvement in index precision is obtained by estimating the hedonic model using a semiparametric adaptive estimator technique. When this method was applied to 1,846 office transactions that occurred in the Phoenix metropolitan area from January 1997 through June 2004, a substantial standard error reduction of approximately 9% was realized relative to ordinary least squares estimates. The difference in average returns between the semiparametric method and ordinary least squares was about 0.25% in each period, which represents a substantial increase in commercial property index precision. Copyright Springer Science + Business Media, Inc. 2006
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics.
Volume (Year): 32 (2006)
Issue (Month): 2 (March)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=102945
hedonic price indices; commercial office property; semiparametric adaptive estimators;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Oliver Linton, 1993.
"Adaptive Estimation in ARCH Models,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
1054, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Oliver Linton & Douglas J.Hodgson & Keith Vorkink, 2001.
"Testing the Capital Asset Pricing Model Efficiently Under Elliptical Symmetry: A Semiparametric Approach,"
FMG Discussion Papers
dp382, Financial Markets Group.
- Keith Vorkink & Douglas J. Hodgson & Oliver Linton, 2002. "Testing the capital asset pricing model efficiently under elliptical symmetry: a semiparametric approach," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 17(6), pages 617-639.
- Douglas J Hodgson & Oliver Linton & Keith Vorkink, 2000. "Testing the Capital Asset Pricing Model Efficiently under Elliptical Symmetry: A Semiparametric Approach," STICERD - Econometrics Paper Series /2000/398, Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines, LSE.
- Douglas J. Hodgson & Oliver Linton & Keith Vorkink, 2001. "Testing the Capital Asset Pricing Model Efficiently Under Elliptical Symmetry: A Semiparametric Approach," Cahiers de recherche CREFE / CREFE Working Papers 143, CREFE, Université du Québec à Montréal.
- Drost, Feike C. & Klaassen, Chris A. J., 1997.
"Efficient estimation in semiparametric GARCH models,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 81(1), pages 193-221, November.
- Drost, F.C. & Klaassen, C.A.J., 1996. "Efficient Estimation in Semiparametric GARCH Models," Discussion Paper 1996-38, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Hodgson, Douglas J & Vorkink, Keith P, 2003.
"Efficient Estimation of Conditional Asset-Pricing Models,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 21(2), pages 269-83, April.
- Douglas J. Hodgson & Keith Vorkink, 2001. "Efficient Estimation of Conditional Asset Pricing Models," Cahiers de recherche CREFE / CREFE Working Papers 144, CREFE, Université du Québec à Montréal.
- Hodgson, Douglas J., 1998.
"Adaptive Estimation Of Error Correction Models,"
Cambridge University Press, vol. 14(01), pages 44-69, February.
- Meese, Richard A & Wallace, Nancy E, 1997. "The Construction of Residential Housing Price Indices: A Comparison of Repeat-Sales, Hedonic-Regression and Hybrid Approaches," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 14(1-2), pages 51-73, Jan.-Marc.
- Drost, F.C. & Klaassen, C.A.J., 1997. "Efficient estimation in semiparametric GARCH models," Open Access publications from Tilburg University urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-74146, Tilburg University.
- Daniel P. McMillen & Jonathan Dombrow, 2001. "A Flexible Fourier Approach to Repeat Sales Price Indexes," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 29(2), pages 207-225.
- Gatzlaff, Dean H & Haurin, Donald R, 1997. "Sample Selection Bias and Repeat-Sales Index Estimates," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 14(1-2), pages 33-50, Jan.-Marc.
- Fisher, Jeffrey D & Geltner, David M & Webb, R Brian, 1994. "Value Indices of Commercial Real Estate: A Comparison of Index Construction Methods," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 9(2), pages 137-64, September.
- Jeffrey Fisher & Dean Gatzlaff & David Geltner & Donald Haurin, 2003. "Controlling for the Impact of Variable Liquidity in Commercial Real Estate Price Indices," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 31(2), pages 269-303, 06.
- Douglas Hodgson & Keith Vorkink, 2004. "Asset pricing theory and the valuation of Canadian paintings," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 37(3), pages 629-655, August.
- Corgel, John B & deRoos, Jan A, 1999. "Recovery of Real Estate Returns for Portfolio Allocation," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 18(3), pages 279-96, May.
- Gatzlaff, Dean H. & Haurin, Donald R., 1998. "Sample Selection and Biases in Local House Value Indices," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 43(2), pages 199-222, March.
- Cutter, W. Bowman & Franco, Sofia F., 2012. "Do parking requirements significantly increase the area dedicated to parking? A test of the effect of parking requirements values in Los Angeles County," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 46(6), pages 901-925.
- José-María Montero-Lorenzo & Beatriz Larraz-Iribas & Antonio Páez, 2009. "Estimating commercial property prices: an application of cokriging with housing prices as ancillary information," Journal of Geographical Systems, Springer, vol. 11(4), pages 407-425, December.
- Franco, Sofia & Cutter, Bowman & DeWoody, Autumn, 2010. "Do Parking Requirements Significantly Increase The Area Dedicated To Parking? A Test Of The Effect Of Parking Requirements Values In Los Angeles County," MPRA Paper 20403, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Douglas Hodgson, 2011. "Age–price profiles for Canadian painters at auction," Journal of Cultural Economics, Springer, vol. 35(4), pages 287-308, November.
- W. Bowman Cutter & Sofia F. Franco, 2012. "The uneasy case for lower Parking Standards," FEUNL Working Paper Series wp564, Universidade Nova de Lisboa, Faculdade de Economia.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.