Which Capital Growth Index for the Paris Residential Market?
AbstractIn this paper we address the issue of measuring price performance for the Paris residential market. Our main focus is on choosing the appropiate index or indices capable of efficiently capturing capital growth, capital risk, and identifying the main risk factors inherent in this specific market.We identifying three existing indices but show that they may not be completely appropriate to address our main goals. We therefore construct two complementary repeat sales indices: a Case & Shiller (1987) Weighted Repeat sales (WRS) index and a Factorial index using the Baroni, BarthÃ©lÃ©my & Mokhrane (2001) approach. We use the CD-BIEN database that contains more than 220 000 repeta sales transactions for residential properties in Paris area covering the period 1983-2001 period.We estimate these two indices for the Paris and close surrounding area and compare them to different existing indices: (I) the square metre index provides by the Chambre des Notaires de Paris and INSEE, (II) the IDP indices, (III) the listed real estate index. OUR conclusions yield interesting implications concerning real estate risk and suggest the construction of jointly using the repeat sales and the factorial approaches
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by THEMA (THéorie Economique, Modélisation et Applications), Université de Cergy-Pontoise in its series THEMA Working Papers with number 2004-04.
Date of creation: 2004
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 33, boulevard du port - 95011 Cergy-Pontoise Cedex
Phone: 33 1 34 25 60 63
Fax: 33 1 34 25 62 33
Web page: http://thema.u-cergy.fr
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Baroni, Michel & Barthelemy, Fabrice & Mokrane, Madhi, 2003. "Which Capital Growth Index for the Paris Residential Market?," ESSEC Working Papers DR 03002, ESSEC Research Center, ESSEC Business School.
- C20 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - General
- G00 - Financial Economics - - General - - - General
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- David Genesove & Christopher Mayer, .
"Loss Aversion and Seller Behavior: Evidence from the Housing Market,"
Zell/Lurie Center Working Papers
323, Wharton School Samuel Zell and Robert Lurie Real Estate Center, University of Pennsylvania.
- David Genesove & Christopher Mayer, 2001. "Loss Aversion And Seller Behavior: Evidence From The Housing Market," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 116(4), pages 1233-1260, November.
- David Genesove & Christopher Mayer, 2001. "Loss Aversion and Seller Behavior: Evidence from the Housing Market," NBER Working Papers 8143, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Genesove, David & Mayer, Christopher, 2001. "Loss Aversion and Seller Behaviour: Evidence from the Housing Market," CEPR Discussion Papers 2813, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Case, Bradford & Quigley, John M, 1991. "The Dynamics of Real Estate Prices," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 73(1), pages 50-58, February.
- Joseph Gyourko & Donald B. Keim, . "What Does the Stock Market Tell Us About Real Estate Returns? (Revised: 11-92)," Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research Working Papers 18-91, Wharton School Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research.
- Gatzlaff, Dean H & Haurin, Donald R, 1997. "Sample Selection Bias and Repeat-Sales Index Estimates," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 14(1-2), pages 33-50, Jan.-Marc.
- Englund, Peter & Quigley, John M. & Redfearn, Christian L., 1998. "Improved Price Indexes for Real Estate: Measuring the Course of Swedish Housing Prices," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 44(2), pages 171-196, September.
- Meese, Richard A & Wallace, Nancy E, 1997. "The Construction of Residential Housing Price Indices: A Comparison of Repeat-Sales, Hedonic-Regression and Hybrid Approaches," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 14(1-2), pages 51-73, Jan.-Marc.
- Brown, Gerald R & Matysiak, George A, 2000. "Sticky Valuations, Aggregation Effects, and Property Indices," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 20(1), pages 49-66, January.
- Quan, Daniel C & Quigley, John M, 1991. "Price Formation and the Appraisal Function in Real Estate Markets," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 4(2), pages 127-46, June.
- Karl E. Case & Robert J. Shiller, 1987.
"Prices of single-family homes since 1970: new indexes for four cities,"
New England Economic Review,
Federal Reserve Bank of Boston, issue Sep, pages 45-56.
- Karl E. Case & Robert J. Shiller, 1987. "Prices of Single Family Homes Since 1970: New Indexes for Four Cities," NBER Working Papers 2393, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Karl E. Case & Robert J. Shiller, 1987. "Prices of Single Family Homes Since 1970: New Indexes for Four Cities," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 851, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Karl E. Case & Robert J. Shiller, 1989.
"The Efficiency of the Market for Single-Family Homes,"
NBER Working Papers
2506, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Case, Karl E & Shiller, Robert J, 1989. "The Efficiency of the Market for Single-Family Homes," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 79(1), pages 125-37, March.
- Goetzmann, William Nelson, 1992.
"The Accuracy of Real Estate Indices: Repeat Sale Estimators,"
The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics,
Springer, vol. 5(1), pages 5-53, March.
- Goetzmann, W.N., 1990. "The Accuracy Of Real Estimate Indices: Repeat Sale Estimators," Papers fb-_90-17, Columbia - Graduate School of Business.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Marion Oury).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.