Spatio-temporal autocorrelation of road network data
AbstractModelling autocorrelation structure among space–time observations is crucial in space–time modelling and forecasting. The aim of this research is to examine the spatio-temporal autocorrelation structure of road networks in order to determine likely requirements for building a suitable space–time forecasting model. Exploratory space–time autocorrelation analysis is carried out using journey time data collected on London’s road network. Through the use of both global and local autocorrelation measures, the autocorrelation structure of the road network is found to be dynamic and heterogeneous in both space and time. It reveals that a global measure of autocorrelation is not sufficient to explain the network structure. Dynamic and local structures must be accounted for space–time modelling and forecasting. This has broad implications for space–time modelling and network complexity. Copyright Springer-Verlag 2012
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Journal of Geographical Systems.
Volume (Year): 14 (2012)
Issue (Month): 4 (October)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=103079
Spatial autocorrelation; Network structure; Space–time autocorrelation; Space–time modelling; Travel time prediction; Network complexity; R41; C23; C52;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- R41 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - Transportation Economics - - - Transportation: Demand, Supply, and Congestion
- C23 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Models with Panel Data; Spatio-temporal Models
- C52 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling - - - Model Evaluation, Validation, and Selection
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Manuel Castells, 2010. "Globalisation, Networking, Urbanisation: Reflections on the Spatial Dynamics of the Information Age," Urban Studies, Urban Studies Journal Limited, vol. 47(13), pages 2737-2745, November.
- Dougherty, Mark S. & Cobbett, Mark R., 1997. "Short-term inter-urban traffic forecasts using neural networks," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 21-31, March.
- Yang Yue & Anthony Gar-On Yeh, 2008. "Spatiotemporal traffic-flow dependency and short-term traffic forecasting," Environment and Planning B: Planning and Design, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 35(5), pages 762-771, September.
- Jeremy Hackney & Michael Bernard & Sumit Bindra & Kay Axhausen, 2007. "Predicting road system speeds using spatial structure variables and network characteristics," Journal of Geographical Systems, Springer, vol. 9(4), pages 397-417, December.
- Yongwan Chun, 2008. "Modeling network autocorrelation within migration flows by eigenvector spatial filtering," Journal of Geographical Systems, Springer, vol. 10(4), pages 317-344, December.
- Geraldine Pflieger & Celine Rozenblat, 2010. "Introduction. Urban Networks and Network Theory: The City as the Connector of Multiple Networks," Urban Studies, Urban Studies Journal Limited, vol. 47(13), pages 2723-2735, November.
- Jiang, Bin, 2007. "A topological pattern of urban street networks: Universality and peculiarity," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 384(2), pages 647-655.
- Kamarianakis, Yiannis & Prastacos, Poulicos, 2002. "Space-time modeling of traffic flow," ERSA conference papers ersa02p141, European Regional Science Association.
- Zengwang Xu & Daniel Sui, 2007. "Small-world characteristics on transportation networks: a perspective from network autocorrelation," Journal of Geographical Systems, Springer, vol. 9(2), pages 189-205, June.
- Daniel Griffith, 2010. "Modeling spatio-temporal relationships: retrospect and prospect," Journal of Geographical Systems, Springer, vol. 12(2), pages 111-123, June.
- Jenelius, Erik & Koutsopoulos, Haris N., 2013. "Travel time estimation for urban road networks using low frequency probe vehicle data," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 53(C), pages 64-81.
- Christopher T. Boyko & Rachel Cooper, 2013. "Density and Decision-Making: Findings from an Online Survey," Sustainability, MDPI, Open Access Journal, vol. 5(10), pages 4502-4522, October.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.