The Reliability of Certification: Quality Labels as a Consumer Policy Tool
AbstractGiven the large number of certification systems in the food industry, it is surprising that there are only a few research approaches to the economics of certification. Certification schemes are used to ensure marketing claims for unobservable quality attributes. Under asymmetric information, process-oriented quality characteristics such as organic farming, animal welfare, or fair trade raise the question of mislabelling. In the long run, only a reliable control procedure can reduce the risk of food scandals. The article presents a model which includes several starting points to enhance the efficiency of certification systems and the corresponding labels. On the whole, tendencies towards price wars on the certification market and considerable differences in performance reveal the necessity of institutional changes. Strategies for reducing auditors’ dependence, intensifying liability, increasing reputation effects, and minimizing audit costs are suggested. Finally, policy implications for public and private monitoring are discussed. Copyright Springer 2005
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Journal of Consumer Policy.
Volume (Year): 28 (2005)
Issue (Month): 1 (December)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=100283
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Fabrice Larceneux & Florence Benoit-Moreau & Valérie Renaudin, 2012. "Why Might Organic Labels Fail to Influence Consumer Choices? Marginal Labelling and Brand Equity Effects," Journal of Consumer Policy, Springer, vol. 35(1), pages 85-104, March.
- Albersmeier, Friederike & Schulze, Holger & Spiller, Achim, 2007. "System Dynamics in Quality Certifications: Development of an Audit Quality Controlling System," 2007 1st Forum, February 15-17, 2007, Innsbruck, Austria 6585, International European Forum on Innovation and System Dynamics in Food Networks.
- Gawron, Jana-Christina & Theuvsen, Ludwig, 2006. "The international food standard: Bureaucratic burden or helpful management instrument in global markets? Empirical results from the German food industry," 98th Seminar, June 29-July 2, 2006, Chania, Crete, Greece 10062, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Schulze, Holger & Spiller, Achim, 2006. "Checklist Governance? Zur Prufungsqualität Von Zertifizierungssystemen Im Agribusiness," 46th Annual Conference, Giessen, Germany, October 4-6, 2006 14957, German Association of Agricultural Economists (GEWISOLA).
- Bahlmann, Jan & Spiller, Achim, 2008. "The Relationship between Supply Chain Coordination and Quality Assurance Systems: A Case Study Approach on the German Meat Sector," 110th Seminar, February 18-22, 2008, Innsbruck-Igls, Austria 49768, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Zorn, Alexander & Lippert, Christian & Dabbert, Stephan, 2012. "Zur Nichteinhaltung Von Vorschriften Des Ökologischen Landbaus In Deutschland Und In Der Schweiz – Statistische Analyse Einzelbetrieblicher Daten," 52nd Annual Conference, Stuttgart, Germany, September 26-28, 2012 133414, German Association of Agricultural Economists (GEWISOLA).
- Innes, Brian G. & Kerr, William A. & Hobbs, Jill E., 2007.
"International Product Differentiation through a Country Brand: An Economic Analysis of National Branding as a Marketing Strategy for Agricultural Products,"
6131, Canadian Agricultural Trade Policy Research Network.
- Innes, Brian G. & Kerr, William A. & Hobbs, Jill E., 2008. "International Product Differentiation Through a Country Brand: An Economic Analysis of National Branding as a Marketing Strategy for Agricultural Products," Trade Policy Briefs 43470, Canadian Agricultural Trade Policy Research Network.
- Janssen, Meike & Hamm, Ulrich, 2011. "Certification Logos in the Market for Organic Food: What are Consumers Willing to Pay for Different Logos?," 2011 International Congress, August 30-September 2, 2011, Zurich, Switzerland 114454, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Fares, M'hand & Rouviere, Elodie, 2010. "The implementation mechanisms of voluntary food safety systems," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(5), pages 412-418, October.
- Friederike Albersmeier & Holger Schulze & Achim Spiller, 2009. "Evaluation and reliability of the organic certification system: perceptions by farmers in Latin America," Sustainable Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 17(5), pages 311-324.
- Jérôme Ballet & Aurélie Carimentrand, 2010. "Fair Trade and the Depersonalization of Ethics," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 92(2), pages 317-330, April.
- Fabrice Larceneux & Florence Benoît-Moreau & Valérie Renaudin, 2012. "Why Might Organic Labels Fail to Influence Consumer Choices? Marginal Labelling and Brand Equity Effects," Post-Print hal-00656485, HAL.
- Gawron, Jana-Christina & Theuvsen, Ludwig, 2006. "Die Bewertung Des International Food Standard Durch Unternehmen Der Ernahrungsindustrie: Ergebnisse Einer Empirischen Untersuchung," 46th Annual Conference, Giessen, Germany, October 4-6, 2006 14963, German Association of Agricultural Economists (GEWISOLA).
- Gaëlle Balineau & Ivan Dufeu, 2010. "Are Fair Trade Goods Credence Goods? A New Proposal, with French Illustrations," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 92(2), pages 331-345, April.
- Lueth, Maren & Spiller, Achim & Schramm, Matthias, 2006. "Branding in the red meat sector - A conjoint study from Germany," 98th Seminar, June 29-July 2, 2006, Chania, Crete, Greece 10065, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Eden, Sally & Bear, Christopher & Walker, Gordon, 2008. "The sceptical consumer? Exploring views about food assurance," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 33(6), pages 624-630, December.
- Padilla Bravo, Carlos Antonio & Spiller, Achim & Villalobos, Pablo, 2012. "Are Organic Growers Satisfied with the Certification System? A Causal Analysis of Farmersâ€™ Perceptions in Chile," International Food and Agribusiness Management Review, International Food and Agribusiness Management Association (IAMA), vol. 15(4).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.