The Reliability of Certification: Quality Labels as a Consumer Policy Tool
AbstractGiven the large number of certification systems in the food industry, it is surprising that there are only a few research approaches to the economics of certification. Certification schemes are used to ensure marketing claims for unobservable quality attributes. Under asymmetric information, process-oriented quality characteristics such as organic farming, animal welfare, or fair trade raise the question of mislabelling. In the long run, only a reliable control procedure can reduce the risk of food scandals. The article presents a model which includes several starting points to enhance the efficiency of certification systems and the corresponding labels. On the whole, tendencies towards price wars on the certification market and considerable differences in performance reveal the necessity of institutional changes. Strategies for reducing auditors’ dependence, intensifying liability, increasing reputation effects, and minimizing audit costs are suggested. Finally, policy implications for public and private monitoring are discussed. Copyright Springer 2005
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Journal of Consumer Policy.
Volume (Year): 28 (2005)
Issue (Month): 1 (December)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=100283
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Fabrice Larceneux & Florence Benoit-Moreau & Valérie Renaudin, 2012. "Why Might Organic Labels Fail to Influence Consumer Choices? Marginal Labelling and Brand Equity Effects," Journal of Consumer Policy, Springer, vol. 35(1), pages 85-104, March.
- Gawron, Jana-Christina & Theuvsen, Ludwig, 2006. "Die Bewertung Des International Food Standard Durch Unternehmen Der Ernahrungsindustrie: Ergebnisse Einer Empirischen Untersuchung," 46th Annual Conference, Giessen, Germany, October 4-6, 2006 14963, German Association of Agricultural Economists (GEWISOLA).
- Gaëlle Balineau & Ivan Dufeu, 2010. "Are Fair Trade Goods Credence Goods? A New Proposal, with French Illustrations," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 92(2), pages 331-345, April.
- Hugh Campbell & Anne Murcott & Angela MacKenzie, 2011. "Kosher in New York City, halal in Aquitaine: challenging the relationship between neoliberalism and food auditing," Agriculture and Human Values, Springer, vol. 28(1), pages 67-79, February.
- Fares, M'hand & Rouviere, Elodie, 2010. "The implementation mechanisms of voluntary food safety systems," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(5), pages 412-418, October.
- Eden, Sally & Bear, Christopher & Walker, Gordon, 2008. "The sceptical consumer? Exploring views about food assurance," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 33(6), pages 624-630, December.
- Fabrice Larceneux & Florence Benoît-Moreau & Valérie Renaudin, 2012. "Why Might Organic Labels Fail to Influence Consumer Choices? Marginal Labelling and Brand Equity Effects," Post-Print hal-00656485, HAL.
- Khan Md Raziuddin Taufique & Chamhuri Siwar & Basri Talib & Farah Hasan Sarah & Norshamliza Chamhuri, 2014. "Synthesis of Constructs for Modeling Consumers’ Understanding and Perception of Eco-Labels," Sustainability, MDPI, Open Access Journal, vol. 6(4), pages 2176-2200, April.
- Lueth, Maren & Spiller, Achim & Schramm, Matthias, 2006. "Branding in the red meat sector - A conjoint study from Germany," 98th Seminar, June 29-July 2, 2006, Chania, Crete, Greece 10065, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Zorn, Alexander & Lippert, Christian & Dabbert, Stephan, 2012. "Zur Nichteinhaltung Von Vorschriften Des Ökologischen Landbaus In Deutschland Und In Der Schweiz – Statistische Analyse Einzelbetrieblicher Daten," 52nd Annual Conference, Stuttgart, Germany, September 26-28, 2012 133414, German Association of Agricultural Economists (GEWISOLA).
- Bahlmann, Jan & Spiller, Achim, 2008. "The Relationship between Supply Chain Coordination and Quality Assurance Systems: A Case Study Approach on the German Meat Sector," 110th Seminar, February 18-22, 2008, Innsbruck-Igls, Austria 49768, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- von Meyer-Höfer, Marie & von der Wense, Vera & Spiller, Achim, 2013. "Characterising convinced sustainable food consumers," Discussion Papers 161887, Georg-August-Universitaet Goettingen, GlobalFood, Department of Agricultural Economics and Rural Development.
- Bailey, Alison P. & Garforth, Chris, 2014. "An industry viewpoint on the role of farm assurance in delivering food safety to the consumer: The case of the dairy sector of England and Wales," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 45(C), pages 14-24.
- Gawron, Jana-Christina & Theuvsen, Ludwig, 2006. "The international food standard: Bureaucratic burden or helpful management instrument in global markets? Empirical results from the German food industry," 98th Seminar, June 29-July 2, 2006, Chania, Crete, Greece 10062, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Schulze, Holger & Spiller, Achim, 2006. "Checklist Governance? Zur Prufungsqualität Von Zertifizierungssystemen Im Agribusiness," 46th Annual Conference, Giessen, Germany, October 4-6, 2006 14957, German Association of Agricultural Economists (GEWISOLA).
- Innes, Brian G. & Kerr, William A. & Hobbs, Jill E., 2008.
"International Product Differentiation Through a Country Brand: An Economic Analysis of National Branding as a Marketing Strategy for Agricultural Products,"
Trade Policy Briefs
43470, Canadian Agricultural Trade Policy Research Network.
- Innes, Brian G. & Kerr, William A. & Hobbs, Jill E., 2007. "International Product Differentiation through a Country Brand: An Economic Analysis of National Branding as a Marketing Strategy for Agricultural Products," Commissioned Papers 6131, Canadian Agricultural Trade Policy Research Network.
- Hanna Stolz & Heidrun Moschitz & Meike Janssen, 2013. "Organic certification labels from the perspective of consumers in Switzerland," Yearbook of Socioeconomics in Agriculture, Swiss Society for Agricultural Economics and Rural Sociology, vol. 6(1), pages 225-246.
- Janssen, Meike & Hamm, Ulrich, 2011. "Certification Logos in the Market for Organic Food: What are Consumers Willing to Pay for Different Logos?," 2011 International Congress, August 30-September 2, 2011, Zurich, Switzerland 114454, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Kubitzki, Sabine & Krischik-Bautz, Stephanie, 2011. "WeiÃŸ der Verbraucher wirklich, welche QualitÃ¤t er kauft? Eine Studie zur QualitÃ¤tserwartung an PrÃ¼fzeichen," Journal of International Agricultural Trade and Development, Journal of International Agricultural Trade and Development, vol. 60(1).
- Jérôme Ballet & Aurélie Carimentrand, 2010. "Fair Trade and the Depersonalization of Ethics," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 92(2), pages 317-330, April.
- Friederike Albersmeier & Holger Schulze & Achim Spiller, 2009. "Evaluation and reliability of the organic certification system: perceptions by farmers in Latin America," Sustainable Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 17(5), pages 311-324.
- Albersmeier, Friederike & Schulze, Holger & Spiller, Achim, 2007. "System Dynamics in Quality Certifications: Development of an Audit Quality Controlling System," 2007 1st Forum, February 15-17, 2007, Innsbruck, Austria 6585, International European Forum on Innovation and System Dynamics in Food Networks.
- Padilla Bravo, Carlos Antonio & Spiller, Achim & Villalobos, Pablo, 2012. "Are Organic Growers Satisfied with the Certification System? A Causal Analysis of Farmersâ€™ Perceptions in Chile," International Food and Agribusiness Management Review, International Food and Agribusiness Management Association (IAMA), vol. 15(4).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.