Nowcasting from disaggregates in the face of location shifts
AbstractGiven a need for nowcasting, we consider how nowcasts can best be achieved, the use and timing of information, including disaggregation over variables and common features, and the role of automatic model selection for nowcasting missing disaggregates. We focus on the impact of location shifts on nowcast failure and nowcasting during breaks, using impulse saturation, its relation to intercept correction, and to robust methods to avoid systematic nowcast failure. We propose a nowcasting strategy, building models of all N disaggregate series by automatic methods, forecasting every variable each period, then testing for shifts in available measures, switching to robust forecasts of missing series when breaks are detected. Copyright © 2009 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. in its journal Journal of Forecasting.
Volume (Year): 29 (2010)
Issue (Month): 1-2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/cgi-bin/jhome/2966
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Neil Ericsson & Erica Reisman, 2012.
"Evaluating a Global Vector Autoregression for Forecasting,"
International Advances in Economic Research,
Springer, vol. 18(3), pages 247-258, August.
- Neil R. Ericsson & Erica L. Reisman, 2012. "Evaluating a global vector autoregression for forecasting," International Finance Discussion Papers 1056, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Neil R. Ericsson & Erica L. Reisman, 2012. "Evaluating a Global Vector Autoregression for Forecasting," Working Papers 2012-006, The George Washington University, Department of Economics, Research Program on Forecasting.
- Cai, Charlie X. & Kyaw, Khine & Zhang, Qi, 2012. "Stock index return forecasting: The information of the constituents," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 116(1), pages 72-74.
- David Hendry & Michael P. Clements, 2010. "Forecasting from Mis-specified Models in the Presence of Unanticipated Location Shifts," Economics Series Working Papers 484, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Ralf Brüggemann & Helmut Lütkepohl, 2011.
"Forecasting Contemporaneous Aggregates with Stochastic Aggregation Weights,"
Working Paper Series of the Department of Economics, University of Konstanz
2011-23, Department of Economics, University of Konstanz.
- Brüggemann, Ralf & Lütkepohl, Helmut, 2013. "Forecasting contemporaneous aggregates with stochastic aggregation weights," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 60-68.
- Ralf Brueggemann & Helmut Luetkepohl, 2011. "Forecasting Contemporaneous Aggregates with Stochastic Aggregation Weights," Economics Working Papers ECO2011/17, European University Institute.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.