Power transformation models and volatility forecasting
AbstractThis paper considers the forecast accuracy of a wide range of volatility models, with particular emphasis on the use of power transformations. Where one-period-ahead forecasts are considered, the power autoregressive models are ranked first by a range of error metrics. Over longer forecast horizons, however, generalized autoregressive conditional heteroscedasticity models are preferred. A value-at-risk-based forecast assessment indicates that, while the forecast errors are independent, they are not independent and identically distributed, although this latter result is sensitive to the choice of forecast horizon. Our results are robust across a number of different asset markets. Copyright © 2008 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. in its journal Journal of Forecasting.
Volume (Year): 27 (2008)
Issue (Month): 7 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/cgi-bin/jhome/2966
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Proietti, Tommaso & Lütkepohl, Helmut, 2013.
"Does the Box–Cox transformation help in forecasting macroeconomic time series?,"
International Journal of Forecasting,
Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 88-99.
- Lütkepohl, Helmut & Proietti, Tommaso, 2011. "Does the Box-Cox transformation help in forecasting macroeconomic time series?," Working Papers 1 OMEWP, University of Sydney Business School, Discipline of Business Analytics.
- Tommaso Proietti & Helmut Luetkepohl, 2011. "Does the Box-Cox Transformation Help in Forecasting Macroeconomic Time Series?," Economics Working Papers ECO2011/29, European University Institute.
- Tommaso, Proietti & Helmut, Luetkepohl, 2011. "Does the Box-Cox transformation help in forecasting macroeconomic time series?," MPRA Paper 32294, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Benoît Sévi, 2014.
"Forecasting the volatility of crude oil futures using intraday data,"
2014-053, Department of Research, Ipag Business School.
- Sévi, Benoît, 2014. "Forecasting the volatility of crude oil futures using intraday data," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 235(3), pages 643-659.
- Jui-Cheng Hung & Ren-Xi Ni & Matthew C. Chang, 2009. "The Information Contents of VIX Index and Range-based Volatility on Volatility Forecasting Performance of S&P 500," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 29(4), pages 2592-2604.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.