Re-Examining The Finance-Growth Nexus: Structural Break, Threshold Cointegration And Causality Evidence From The Ecowas
AbstractThe aim of this paper is to re-examine the cointegrating and causal relationship between financial development and economic growth in the ECOWAS. To this end, we use the Gregory and Hansen (1996a, 1996b) approach to cointegration with structural change and the procedure for non-causality test of Toda and Yamamoto (1995). Data are from the World Bank (2007) and cover the period 1960-2005. We show that there is a long-run relationship between financial development and economic growth in six countries, namely, Burkina Faso, Cape Verde, Cote d¡¯Ivoire, Ghana, Liberia and Sierra Leone. In addition, we show that financial development ¡®leads¡¯ economic growth in Ghana and Mali while growth causes finance in Burkina Faso, Cote d'Ivoire and Sierra Leone, and a bidirectional causality in Cape Verde and Liberia. The policy implication is that Cape Verde, Ghana and Mali should give policy priority to financial reform while Burkina Faso, Cote d¡¯Ivoire and Sierra Leone should promote economic growth.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Chung-Ang Unviersity, Department of Economics in its journal Journal Of Economic Development.
Volume (Year): 35 (2010)
Issue (Month): 3 (September)
Threshold Cointegration; Financial Development; Granger Causality; Growth;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C32 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models; Diffusion Processes
- E44 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Money and Interest Rates - - - Financial Markets and the Macroeconomy
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gregory, Allan W. & Hansen, Bruce E., 1996.
"Residual-based tests for cointegration in models with regime shifts,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 70(1), pages 99-126, January.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS programs to replicate results from Gregory and Hansen(1996) JOE article," Statistical Software Components RTZ00081, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Tom Doan, . "GREGORYHANSEN: RATS procedure to implement Gregory-Hansen test for Cointegration with breaks," Statistical Software Components RTS00082, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Gregory, A.W. & Hansen, B.E., 1992. "Residual-Based Tests for Cointegration in Models with Regime Shifts," RCER Working Papers 335, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Allan w. Gregory & Bruce E. Hansen, 1992. "residual-Based Tests for Cointegration in Models with Regime Shifts," Working Papers 862, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Christian Ahlin & Jiaren Pang, 2006.
"Are Financial Development and Corruption Control Substitutes in Promoting Growth?,"
Vanderbilt University Department of Economics Working Papers
0709, Vanderbilt University Department of Economics.
- Ahlin, Christian & Pang, Jiaren, 2008. "Are financial development and corruption control substitutes in promoting growth?," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 86(2), pages 414-433, June.
- Demetriades, Panicos O. & Hussein, Khaled A., 1996.
"Does financial development cause economic growth? Time-series evidence from 16 countries,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 51(2), pages 387-411, December.
- Panicos O. Demetriades & Khaled A.Hussein, 1995. "Does Financial Development Cause Economic Growth? Time-Series Evidence from 16 Countries," Keele Department of Economics Discussion Papers (1995-2001) 95/13, Department of Economics, Keele University.
- Gries, Thomas & Kraft, Manfred & Meierrieks, Daniel, 2009.
"Linkages Between Financial Deepening, Trade Openness, and Economic Development: Causality Evidence from Sub-Saharan Africa,"
Elsevier, vol. 37(12), pages 1849-1860, December.
- Thomas Gries & Manfred Kraft & Daniel Meierrieks, 2008. "Linkages between Financial Deepening,Trade Openness and Economic Development: Causality Evidence from Sub-Saharan Africa," Working Papers 15, University of Paderborn, CIE Center for International Economics.
- Abu-Bader, Suleiman & Abu-Qarn, Aamer S., 2008. "Financial development and economic growth: The Egyptian experience," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 30(5), pages 887-898.
- Andrade, Philippe & Bruneau, Catherine & Gregoir, Stephane, 2005. "Testing for the cointegration rank when some cointegrating directions are changing," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 124(2), pages 269-310, February.
- Badi H. Baltagi & Panicos O. Demetriades & Siong Hook Law, 2008.
"Financial Development and Openness: Evidence from Panel Data,"
Center for Policy Research Working Papers
107, Center for Policy Research, Maxwell School, Syracuse University.
- Baltagi, Badi H. & Demetriades, Panicos O. & Law, Siong Hook, 2009. "Financial development and openness: Evidence from panel data," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 89(2), pages 285-296, July.
- Kim, Dukpa & Perron, Pierre, 2009.
"Unit root tests allowing for a break in the trend function at an unknown time under both the null and alternative hypotheses,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 148(1), pages 1-13, January.
- Mohitosh Kejriwal & Pierre Perron, 2006. "Unit Root Tests Allowing for a Break in the Trend Function at an Unknown Time Under Both the Null and Alternative Hypotheses," Boston University - Department of Economics - Working Papers Series WP2006-052, Boston University - Department of Economics.
- Phillips, Peter C.B. & Toda, Hiro Y., 1993. "Limit Theory in Cointegrated Vector Autoregressions," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 9(01), pages 150-153, January.
- Augustin Kwasi Fosu & Mwangi S. Kimenyi & Njuguna S. Ndung'u, 2003. "Economic Reforms and Restructuring in Sub-Saharan Africa: An Overview," Journal of African Economies, Centre for the Study of African Economies (CSAE), vol. 12(Supplemen), pages 1-11, September.
- Hansen, Bruce E. & Seo, Byeongseon, 2002.
"Testing for two-regime threshold cointegration in vector error-correction models,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 110(2), pages 293-318, October.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS programs to replicate Hansen/Seo paper on threshold cointegration," Statistical Software Components RTZ00092, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Reinhart, Carmen & Tokatlidis, Ioannis, 2000.
"Financial Liberalization: The African Experience,"
13423, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Toda, Hiro Y. & Yamamoto, Taku, 1995. "Statistical inference in vector autoregressions with possibly integrated processes," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 66(1-2), pages 225-250.
- Falk, Barry L. & Enders, Walter, 1998.
"Threshold-Autoregressive, Median-Unbiased, and Cointegration Tests of Purchasing Power Parity,"
Staff General Research Papers
1221, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Enders, Walter & Falk, Barry, 1998. "Threshold-autoregressive, median-unbiased, and cointegration tests of purchasing power parity," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 14(2), pages 171-186, June.
- repec:ubc:bricol:91-31 is not listed on IDEAS
- Hicks, J. R., 1969. "A Theory of Economic History," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198811633.
- Gregory, Allan W. & Nason, James M. & Watt, David G., 1996. "Testing for structural breaks in cointegrated relationships," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 71(1-2), pages 321-341.
- Guido Baldi, 2013. "Physical And Human Capital Accumulation And The Evolution Of Income And Inequality," Journal of Economic Development, Chung-Ang Unviersity, Department of Economics, vol. 38(3), pages 57-83, September.
- Chan, Tze-Haw & Lean, Hooi Hooi & Hooy, Chee Wooi, 2013. "A Macro Assessment of China Effects on Malaysian Exports and Trade Balances," MPRA Paper 48801, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 01 Aug 2013.
- Oluwatosin Adeniyi & Festus O. Egwaikhide, 2013. "Saving-Investment Nexus In Developing Countries: Does Financial Development Matter?," Journal of Economic Development, Chung-Ang Unviersity, Department of Economics, vol. 38(2), pages 119-140, June.
- Huiran Pan & Chun Wang, 2013. "Financial Development And Economic Growth: A New Investigation," Journal of Economic Development, Chung-Ang Unviersity, Department of Economics, vol. 38(1), pages 27-46, March.
- HAMDI, Helmi & SBIA, Rashid & TAS, Bedri, 2012. "Financial deepening and economic growth in Gulf Cooperation Council countries," MPRA Paper 49907, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 2012.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Changhui Kang).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.