Testing for Structural Breaks
AbstractThe purpose of this paper is to investigate the tests of Hansen (1991) to detect structural breaks in cointegrated relations using Monte Carlo methods. The evaluation takes place within the linear quadratic model. The evidence for a single regressor suggests that the test have proper size and that the power is good provided the cost of adjustment is low. In addition to the tests of Hansen, we consider the sensitivity of the augmented Dicky-Fuller (ADF) teest for cointegration in the presence of a structural break. Our Monte Carlo experiments show that the ADF test suffers a substantial loss of power (a failure to reject the null of no cointegration). As a practical example we consider the stability of the long-run coefficients in annual U.S. money demand.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Queen's University, Department of Economics in its series Working Papers with number 827.
Length: 38 pages
Date of creation: Jul 1991
Date of revision:
linear quadratic; cointegration; structural breaks;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C12 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Hypothesis Testing: General
- C15 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Statistical Simulation Methods: General
- C22 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models &bull Diffusion Processes
- C52 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling - - - Model Evaluation, Validation, and Selection
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- James M. Nason, 1991. "The permanent income hypothesis when the bliss point is stochastic," Discussion Paper / Institute for Empirical Macroeconomics 46, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Kuikeu, Oscar, 2011.
"Arguments contre la zone franc
[Against the cfa franc zone]," MPRA Paper 33710, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Steven Cook, 2004. "Spurious rejection by cointegration tests incorporating structural change in the cointegrating relationship," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 11(14), pages 879-884.
- Kuikeu, Oscar, 2011.
"Comment la dernière crise financière a relancé le débat relatif à l'arrimage du fcfa à l'euro
[How the recent financial crisis have revived the debate on the parity between fcfa and euro]," MPRA Paper 32077, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Giorgia Palladini & Richard Portes, 2011.
"Sovereign CDS and Bond Pricing Dynamics in the Euro-area,"
NBER Working Papers
17586, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Palladini, Giorgia & Portes, Richard, 2011. "Sovereign CDS and Bond Pricing Dynamics in the Euro-area," CEPR Discussion Papers 8651, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Kuo, Biing-Shen, 1998. "Test for partial parameter instability in regressions with I(1) processes," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 86(2), pages 337-368, June.
- Michael Funke, 2001.
"Money Demand in Euroland,"
Quantitative Macroeconomics Working Papers
20112, Hamburg University, Department of Economics.
- Di Iorio, Francesca & Fachin, Stefano, 2006. "Testing for breaks in cointegrated panels," MPRA Paper 3280, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Alain Durré, 2006. "The Liquidity Premium in the Money Market: A Comparison of the German Mark Period and the Euro Area," German Economic Review, Verein für Socialpolitik, vol. 7, pages 163-187, 05.
- Olusegun A. Omisakin & Abimbola M. Oyinlola & Oluwatosin A. Adeniyi, 2012. "Modeling Gasoline Demand with Structural Breaks:New Evidence from Nigeria," International Journal of Energy Economics and Policy, Econjournals, vol. 2(1), pages 1-9.
- Michael D. Bordo & Lars Jonung & Pierre Siklos, 1993. "The Common Development of Institutional Change as Measured by Income Velocity: A Century of Evidence from Industrialized Countries," NBER Working Papers 4379, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark Babcock).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.