Sovereign CDS and Bond Pricing Dynamics in the Euro-area
AbstractThis analysis tests the price discovery relationship between sovereign CDS premia and bond yield spreads on the same reference entity. The theoretical no-arbitrage relationship between the two credit spreads is confronted with daily data from six Euro-area countries over the period 2004-2011. As a first step, the supposed non stationarity of the two series is verified. Then, we examine whether the non-stationary CDS and bond spreads series are bound by a cointegration relationship. Overall the cointegration analysis confirms that the two prices should be equal to each other in equilibrium, as theory predicts. Nonetheless the theoretical value [1, -1] for the cointegrating vector is rejected, meaning that in the short run the cash and synthetic market's valuation of credit risk differ to various degrees. The VECM analysis suggests that the CDS market moves ahead of the bond market in terms of price discovery. These findings are further supported by the Granger Causality Test: for most sovereigns in the sample, past values of CDS spreads help to forecast bond yield spreads. Short-run deviations from the equilibrium persist longer than it would take for participants in one market to observe the price in the other. That is consistent with the hypothesis of imperfections in the arbitrage relationship between the two markets.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc in its series NBER Working Papers with number 17586.
Date of creation: Nov 2011
Date of revision:
Note: AP IFM
Contact details of provider:
Postal: National Bureau of Economic Research, 1050 Massachusetts Avenue Cambridge, MA 02138, U.S.A.
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Palladini, Giorgia & Portes, Richard, 2011. "Sovereign CDS and Bond Pricing Dynamics in the Euro-area," CEPR Discussion Papers 8651, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- F34 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - International Lending and Debt Problems
- G12 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Asset Pricing; Trading Volume; Bond Interest Rates
- G15 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - International Financial Markets
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Thornton, Daniel L & Batten, Dallas S, 1985. "Lag-Length Selection and Tests of Granger Causality between Money and Income," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 17(2), pages 164-78, May.
- Francis A. Longstaff & Sanjay Mithal & Eric Neis, 2004.
"Corporate Yield Spreads: Default Risk or Liquidity? New Evidence from the Credit-Default Swap Market,"
NBER Working Papers
10418, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Francis A. Longstaff & Sanjay Mithal & Eric Neis, 2005. "Corporate Yield Spreads: Default Risk or Liquidity? New Evidence from the Credit Default Swap Market," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 60(5), pages 2213-2253, October.
- Fontana, Alessandro & Scheicher, Martin, 2010. "An analysis of euro area sovereign CDS and their relation with government bonds," Working Paper Series 1271, European Central Bank.
- Allan w. Gregory & Bruce E. Hansen, 1992.
"residual-Based Tests for Cointegration in Models with Regime Shifts,"
862, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Gregory, Allan W. & Hansen, Bruce E., 1996. "Residual-based tests for cointegration in models with regime shifts," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 70(1), pages 99-126, January.
- Gregory, A.W. & Hansen, B.E., 1992. "Residual-Based Tests for Cointegration in Models with Regime Shifts," RCER Working Papers 335, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Patrick Houweling & Jaap Hoek & Frank Kleibergen, 1999.
"The Joint Estimation of Term Structures and Credit Spreads,"
Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers
99-027/4, Tinbergen Institute.
- Houweling, Patrick & Hoek, Jaap & Kleibergen, Frank, 2001. "The joint estimation of term structures and credit spreads," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 8(3), pages 297-323, July.
- Houweling, P. & Hoek, J. & Kleibergen, F.R., 1999. "The Joint Estimation of Term Structures and Credit Spreads," Econometric Institute Research Papers EI 9916-/A, Erasmus University Rotterdam, Erasmus School of Economics (ESE), Econometric Institute.
- Haug, A.A., 1992.
"Tests for Cointegration: A Monte Carlo Comparison,"
93-2, York (Canada) - Department of Economics.
- Lorenzo Codogno & Carlo Favero & Alessandro Missale, 2003. "Yield spreads on EMU government bonds," Economic Policy, CEPR & CES & MSH, vol. 18(37), pages 503-532, October.
- Eli M Remolona & Michela Scatigna & Eliza Wu, 2007. "Interpreting sovereign spreads," BIS Quarterly Review, Bank for International Settlements, March.
- Ana Fostel & John Geanakoplos, 2011.
"Tranching, CDS and Asset Prices: How Financial Innovation Can Cause Bubbles and Crashes,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
786969000000000192, David K. Levine.
- Ana Fostel & John Geanakoplos, 2012. "Tranching, CDS, and Asset Prices: How Financial Innovation Can Cause Bubbles and Crashes," American Economic Journal: Macroeconomics, American Economic Association, vol. 4(1), pages 190-225, January.
- Ana Fostel & John Geanakoplos, 2011. "Tranching, CDS and Asset Prices: How Financial Innovation Can Cause Bubbles and Crashes," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1809, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Ana Fostel & John Geanakoplos, 2011. "Tranching, CDS and Asset Prices: How Financial Innovation Can Cause Bubbles and Crashes," Levine's Working Paper Archive 786969000000000168, David K. Levine.
- Ana Fostel & John Geanakoplos, 2011. "Tranching, CDS and Asset Prices: How Financial Innovation Can Cause Bubbles and Crashes," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1809R, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Toda, Hiro Y & Phillips, Peter C B, 1993.
"Vector Autoregressions and Causality,"
Econometric Society, vol. 61(6), pages 1367-93, November.
- Hogan, Steve & Jarrow, Robert & Teo, Melvyn & Warachka, Mitch, 2004. "Testing market efficiency using statistical arbitrage with applications to momentum and value strategies," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 73(3), pages 525-565, September.
- Ebner, André, 2009. "An empirical analysis on the determinants of CEE government bond spreads," Emerging Markets Review, Elsevier, vol. 10(2), pages 97-121, June.
- Haibin Zhu, 2006. "An Empirical Comparison of Credit Spreads between the Bond Market and the Credit Default Swap Market," Journal of Financial Services Research, Springer, vol. 29(3), pages 211-235, June.
- Hull, John & Predescu, Mirela & White, Alan, 2004. "The relationship between credit default swap spreads, bond yields, and credit rating announcements," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 28(11), pages 2789-2811, November.
- Dion Bongaerts & Frank De Jong & Joost Driessen, 2011. "Derivative Pricing with Liquidity Risk: Theory and Evidence from the Credit Default Swap Market," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 66(1), pages 203-240, 02.
- Johansen, Soren, 1988. "Statistical analysis of cointegration vectors," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 12(2-3), pages 231-254.
- Pierre Collin-Dufresne, 2001. "The Determinants of Credit Spread Changes," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 56(6), pages 2177-2207, December.
- Ammer, John & Cai, Fang, 2011. "Sovereign CDS and bond pricing dynamics in emerging markets: Does the cheapest-to-deliver option matter?," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 21(3), pages 369-387, July.
- Peter G. Dunne & Michael J. Moore & Richard Portes, 2007. "Benchmark Status in Fixed-Income Asset Markets," Journal of Business Finance & Accounting, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 34(9-10), pages 1615-1634.
- Lóránt Varga, 2009. "The information content of Hungarian sovereign CDS spreads," MNB Occasional Papers 2009/78, Magyar Nemzeti Bank (the central bank of Hungary).
- Jan De Wit, 2006. "Exploring the CDS-Bond Basis," Working Paper Research 104, National Bank of Belgium.
- Allan W. Gregory & James M. Nason, 1991. "Testing for Structural Breaks," Working Papers 827, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Markus K. Brunnermeier, 2008. "Deciphering the Liquidity and Credit Crunch 2007-08," NBER Working Papers 14612, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Pierre Perron, 2005. "Dealing with Structural Breaks," Boston University - Department of Economics - Working Papers Series WP2005-017, Boston University - Department of Economics.
- Carmen Broto & Gabriel Perez-Quiros, 2013. "Disentangling contagion among sovereign cds spreads during the european debt crisis," Banco de Espaï¿½a Working Papers 1314, Banco de Espa�a.
- Alter, Adrian & Beyer, Andreas, 2013. "The dynamics of spillover effects during the European sovereign debt crisis," Working Paper Series 1558, European Central Bank.
- Alter, Adrian & Beyer, Andreas, 2012. "The dynamics of spillover effects during the European sovereign debt turmoil," CFS Working Paper Series 2012/13, Center for Financial Studies (CFS).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.