The joint estimation of term structures and credit spreads
AbstractWe present a new framework for the joint estimation of the default-free government term structure and corporate credit spread curves. By using a high-quality data set of German mark denominated bonds, we show that this yields more realistic spreads than conventionally obtained spread curves that result from subtracting independently estimated government and corporate term structures. The estimated spread curves are now smooth functions of time to maturity, as opposed to the twisting curves one gets from the traditional method, and are less sensitive to model specifications. Moreover, the implied corporate term structures have tighter confidence intervals.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Empirical Finance.
Volume (Year): 8 (2001)
Issue (Month): 3 (July)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/jempfin
Other versions of this item:
- Houweling, P. & Hoek, J. & Kleibergen, F.R., 1999. "The Joint Estimation of Term Structures and Credit Spreads," Econometric Institute Research Papers EI 9916-/A, Erasmus University Rotterdam, Erasmus School of Economics (ESE), Econometric Institute.
- Patrick Houweling & Jaap Hoek & Frank Kleibergen, 1999. "The Joint Estimation of Term Structures and Credit Spreads," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 99-027/4, Tinbergen Institute.
- G12 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Asset Pricing; Trading Volume; Bond Interest Rates
- G13 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Contingent Pricing; Futures Pricing
- C13 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Estimation: General
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Longstaff, Francis A & Schwartz, Eduardo S, 1995. " A Simple Approach to Valuing Risky Fixed and Floating Rate Debt," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 50(3), pages 789-819, July.
- McCulloch, J Huston, 1971.
"Measuring the Term Structure of Interest Rates,"
The Journal of Business,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 44(1), pages 19-31, January.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS program to estimate term structure with cubic splines," Statistical Software Components RTZ00019, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Duffie, Darrell & Singleton, Kenneth J, 1999. "Modeling Term Structures of Defaultable Bonds," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 12(4), pages 687-720.
- Merton, Robert C., 1973.
"On the pricing of corporate debt: the risk structure of interest rates,"
684-73., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Merton, Robert C, 1974. "On the Pricing of Corporate Debt: The Risk Structure of Interest Rates," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 29(2), pages 449-70, May.
- Hull, John & White, Alan, 1995. "The impact of default risk on the prices of options and other derivative securities," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 299-322, May.
- Jarrow, Robert A & Lando, David & Turnbull, Stuart M, 1997. "A Markov Model for the Term Structure of Credit Risk Spreads," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 10(2), pages 481-523.
- Shea, Gary S, 1985. " Interest Rate Term Structure Estimation with Exponential Splines: A Note," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 40(1), pages 319-25, March.
- Duffee, Gregory R., 1996.
"On measuring credit risks of derivative instruments,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 20(5), pages 805-833, June.
- Gregory R. Duffee, 1994. "On measuring credit risks of derivative instruments," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 94-27, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Vasicek, Oldrich, 1977. "An equilibrium characterization of the term structure," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 5(2), pages 177-188, November.
- Vasicek, Oldrich A & Fong, H Gifford, 1982. " Term Structure Modeling Using Exponential Splines," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 37(2), pages 339-48, May.
- Vasicek, Oldrich Alfonso, 1977. "Abstract: An Equilibrium Characterization of the Term Structure," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 12(04), pages 627-627, November.
- Beim, D.O., 1992. "Term Structure and the Non-Cash Values in Bonds," Papers 92-40, Columbia - Graduate School of Business.
- Litzenberger, Robert H & Rolfo, Jacques, 1984. " An International Study of Tax Effects on Government Bonds," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 39(1), pages 1-22, March.
- Nelson, Charles R & Siegel, Andrew F, 1987. "Parsimonious Modeling of Yield Curves," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 60(4), pages 473-89, October.
- Shea, Gary S., 1984. "Pitfalls in Smoothing Interest Rate Term Structure Data: Equilibrium Models and Spline Approximations," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 19(03), pages 253-269, September.
- Palladini, Giorgia & Portes, Richard, 2011.
"Sovereign CDS and Bond Pricing Dynamics in the Euro-area,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
8651, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Giorgia Palladini & Richard Portes, 2011. "Sovereign CDS and Bond Pricing Dynamics in the Euro-area," NBER Working Papers 17586, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Frank Skinner & Michalis Ioannides, 2004. "FRS17 and the Sterling Doubles A Corporate Yield Curve," ICMA Centre Discussion Papers in Finance icma-dp2004-08, Henley Business School, Reading University.
- Batten, Jonathan & Hogan, Warren, 2002. "A perspective on credit derivatives," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 11(3), pages 251-278.
- Ballestra, Luca Vincenzo & Pacelli, Graziella, 2014. "Valuing risky debt: A new model combining structural information with the reduced-form approach," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 55(C), pages 261-271.
- Michael Boss & Martin Scheicher, 2002. "The determinants of credit spread changes in the euro area," BIS Papers chapters, in: Bank for International Settlements (ed.), Market functioning and central bank policy, volume 12, pages 181-199 Bank for International Settlements.
- Wagner, Stephan M. & Bode, Christoph & Koziol, Philipp, 2011. "Negative default dependence in supplier networks," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 134(2), pages 398-406, December.
- Leo Krippner, 2003. "Modelling the Yield Curve with Orthonormalised Laguerre Polynomials: A Consistent Cross-Sectional and Inter-Temporal Approach," Working Papers in Economics 03/02, University of Waikato, Department of Economics.
- Albrecht, Peter, 2005. "Kreditrisiken - Modellierung und Management: Ein Überblick," German Risk and Insurance Review (GRIR), University of Cologne, Department of Risk Management and Insurance, vol. 1(2), pages 22-152.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.