Estimation of the Term Structure of Interest Rates: Methodology and Applications
AbstractIn macroeconomics and finance, it is extremely useful to have knowledge of the Term Structure of Interest Rates (TSIR) and to be able to interpret the related data. However, independently of its latest particular application, the TSIR is not observable directly in the market and a previous estimation of the yield curve is needed. There are two distinct approaches to modelling the term structure of interest rates. The first is essenciallly to measure the term structure using statistical techniques by appliyng interpolation or curve-fitting methods to construct yields. The second approach is based on models, known as dynamic models, which make explicit assumptions about the evolution of state variables and asset pricing models using either equilibrium or arbitrage arguments. There is no consensus on any particular methodology and the choice between alternative curve models is, in part, subjective. Nevertheless, the interpolation or curve-fitting methods have showed good properties and are those used nowadays by the vast majority of central banks. The objective of this article is to make a concise study to enhance knowledge of the Term Structure of Interest Rates and of the principal methodologies based on statistical techniques that have been proposed for its correct estimation. The most relevant empirical work on comparing the principal methodologies is also presented. A better understanding of the principal methodologies and their limitations will provide the researchers a panoramic vision of the problematic of estimation of the yield curve and will enable them to chose the best model according to their objectives.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Universidad Pablo de Olavide, Department of Financial Economics and Accounting (former Department of Business Administration) in its series Working Papers with number 12.06.
Length: 45 pages
Date of creation: Oct 2012
Date of revision:
Term Structure of Interest Rates; estimation methodologies.;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hull, John & White, Alan, 1990. "Pricing Interest-Rate-Derivative Securities," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 3(4), pages 573-92.
- Dominguez, Emilio & Novales, Alfonso, 2000. "Testing the expectations hypothesis in Eurodeposits," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 19(5), pages 713-736, October.
- Vasicek, Oldrich, 1977. "An equilibrium characterization of the term structure," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 5(2), pages 177-188, November.
- Pilar Abad & Sonia Benito, 2009. "Accurate Of Var Calculated Using Empirical Models Of The Term Structure," International Journal of Theoretical and Applied Finance (IJTAF), World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 12(06), pages 811-832.
- Diebold, Francis X. & Li, Canlin, 2006.
"Forecasting the term structure of government bond yields,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 130(2), pages 337-364, February.
- Francis X. Diebold & Canlin Li, 2002. "Forecasting the Term Structure of Government Bond Yields," Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers 02-34, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Diebold, Francis X. & Li, Canlin, 2003. "Forecasting the term structure of government bond yields," CFS Working Paper Series 2004/09, Center for Financial Studies (CFS).
- Francis X. Diebold & Canlin Li, 2003. "Forecasting the Term Structure of Government Bond Yields," NBER Working Papers 10048, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- David Durand, 1942. "Basic Yields of Corporate Bonds, 1900-1942," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number dura42-1, July.
- Ioannides, Michalis, 2003. "A comparison of yield curve estimation techniques using UK data," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 27(1), pages 1-26, January.
- Chambers, Donald R. & Carleton, Willard T. & Waldman, Donald W., 1984. "A New Approach to Estimation of the Term Structure of Interest Rates," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 19(03), pages 233-252, September.
- Ricardo Gimeno & Juan M. Nave, 2006. "Genetic algorithm estimation of interest rate term structure," Banco de Espaï¿½a Working Papers 0634, Banco de Espa�a.
- Ho, Thomas S Y & Lee, Sang-bin, 1986. " Term Structure Movements and Pricing Interest Rate Contingent Claims," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 41(5), pages 1011-29, December.
- Qiang Dai & Kenneth J. Singleton, 2000. "Specification Analysis of Affine Term Structure Models," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 55(5), pages 1943-1978, October.
- Carleton, Willard T & Cooper, Ian A, 1976. "Estimation and Uses of the Term Structure of Interest Rates," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 31(4), pages 1067-83, September.
- Vasicek, Oldrich Alfonso, 1977. "Abstract: An Equilibrium Characterization of the Term Structure," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 12(04), pages 627-627, November.
- Fama, Eugene F., 1984. "The information in the term structure," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(4), pages 509-528, December.
- Darrell Duffie & Rui Kan, 1996. "A Yield-Factor Model Of Interest Rates," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 6(4), pages 379-406.
- Nelson, Charles R & Siegel, Andrew F, 1987. "Parsimonious Modeling of Yield Curves," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 60(4), pages 473-89, October.
- Shea, Gary S., 1984. "Pitfalls in Smoothing Interest Rate Term Structure Data: Equilibrium Models and Spline Approximations," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 19(03), pages 253-269, September.
- Bing-Huei Lin, 2002. "Fitting term structure of interest rates using B-splines: the case of Taiwanese Government bonds," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 12(1), pages 57-75.
- Vasicek, Oldrich A & Fong, H Gifford, 1982. " Term Structure Modeling Using Exponential Splines," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 37(2), pages 339-48, May.
- Cox, John C & Ingersoll, Jonathan E, Jr & Ross, Stephen A, 1985. "A Theory of the Term Structure of Interest Rates," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 53(2), pages 385-407, March.
- Heath, David & Jarrow, Robert & Morton, Andrew, 1992. "Bond Pricing and the Term Structure of Interest Rates: A New Methodology for Contingent Claims Valuation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 60(1), pages 77-105, January.
- McCulloch, J Huston, 1971.
"Measuring the Term Structure of Interest Rates,"
The Journal of Business,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 44(1), pages 19-31, January.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS program to estimate term structure with cubic splines," Statistical Software Components RTZ00019, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Kalman J. Cohen & Robert L. Kramer & W. Howard Waugh, 1966. "Regression Yield Curves for U.S. Government Securities," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 13(4), pages B168-B175, December.
- Mansi, Sattar A & Phillips, Jeffrey H, 2001. "Modeling the Term Structure from the On-the-Run Treasury Yield Curve," Journal of Financial Research, Southern Finance Association & Southwestern Finance Association, vol. 24(4), pages 545-64, Winter.
- David Durand, 1942. "Basic Yields of Corporate Bonds, 1900-1942," NBER Chapters, in: Basic Yields of Corporate Bonds, 1900-1942, pages 1-40 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Alfonso Novales & Pilar Abad, 2002. "Risk Premia in the Term Structure of Swaps in Pesetas," Documentos de Trabajo del ICAE 0219, Universidad Complutense de Madrid, Facultad de Ciencias Económicas y Empresariales, Instituto Complutense de Análisis Económico.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Publicación Digital - UPO).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.