Consumer Targeting Under Quality Competition In A Liberalized Vertically Differentiated Market
AbstractThis paper examines consumer targeting by cost-asymmetric home incumbent and foreign entrant under quality and price competition among them in a liberalized home-country market. With the home incumbent offering a price-quality menu before the foreign entrant offers his menu, the extent to which the home incumbent enjoys a home-market advantage over a technologically efficient foreign entrant determines the nature of market segmentation. When the home-market advantage is not too large, the home incumbent targets accommodates entry by targeting only the low-type home consumers. Gains from liberalization, however, depends to a large extent on the distribution of home consumers over different types.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Chung-Ang Unviersity, Department of Economics in its journal Journal Of Economic Development.
Volume (Year): 30 (2005)
Issue (Month): 1 (June)
Consumer Targeting; Quality Competition; Liberalization; Accommodating Entry;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D43 - Microeconomics - - Market Structure and Pricing - - - Oligopoly and Other Forms of Market Imperfection
- F12 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Models of Trade with Imperfect Competition and Scale Economies; Fragmentation
- L15 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Information and Product Quality
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Acharyya, Rajat, 2005. "Quality discrimination among income constrained consumers," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 86(2), pages 245-251, February.
- Rajat Acharyya & Prabal Roy Chowdhury, 2006. "Innovation incentives in an intergrated marketed with vertical product differentiation," Indian Statistical Institute, Planning Unit, New Delhi Discussion Papers 06-02, Indian Statistical Institute, New Delhi, India.
- Donnenfeld, Shabtai & Weber, Shlomo, 1992. "Vertical product differentiation with entry," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 10(3), pages 449-472, September.
- Thomas J. Prusa & Reiko Aoki, 1997. "Sequential vs. Simultaneous Choice With Endogenous Quality," Departmental Working Papers 199510, Rutgers University, Department of Economics.
- Acharyya, Rajat, 1998. "Monopoly and product quality: Separating or pooling menu?," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 61(2), pages 187-194, November.
- Kiyoshi Matsubara, 2011. "Product Quality in Different Markets and Cost Structure," ERSA conference papers ersa11p1062, European Regional Science Association.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Changhui Kang).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.