Product Quality in Different Markets and Cost Structure
AbstractThis paper analyzes the behavior of monopoly firm serving its products to two countries. The main focus of this paper is on how the product-quality choice in different markets are related with the cost structure of the firm. First, This paper examines the effects of production and R&D costs on the product quality separately, and then discusses the general case where the both costs exists. This paper shows that if only production costs exist, providing different levels of product quality is optimal and that if only R&D costs exist, providing the same level of quality is optimal. About the general case, this paper shows the conditions with which the same-quality strategy is optimal in terms of utility and other parameters. As an application, this paper discusses the firmâ€™s decision on entry in a foreign market either by exports or FDI. The result is consistent with observations in emerging economies.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by European Regional Science Association in its series ERSA conference papers with number ersa11p1062.
Date of creation: Sep 2011
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Welthandelsplatz 1, 1020 Vienna, Austria
Web page: http://www.ersa.org
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2011-11-14 (All new papers)
- NEP-COM-2011-11-14 (Industrial Competition)
- NEP-IND-2011-11-14 (Industrial Organization)
- NEP-INT-2011-11-14 (International Trade)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Juan Carlos Hallak & Jagadeesh Sivadasan, 2010.
"Firms' Exporting Behavior under Quality Constraints,"
99, Universidad de San Andres, Departamento de Economia, revised Mar 2010.
- Hallak, Juan Carlos & Sivadasan, Jagadeesh, 2011. "Firms' Exporting Behavior under Quality Constraints," Working Papers 628, Research Seminar in International Economics, University of Michigan.
- Juan Carlos Hallak & Jagadeesh Sivadasan, 2009. "Firms' Exporting Behavior under Quality Constraints," Working Papers 09-13, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
- Juan Carlos Hallak & Jagadeesh Sivadasan, 2009. "Firms' Exporting Behavior under Quality Constraints," NBER Working Papers 14928, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Rajat Acharyya, 2005. "Consumer Targeting Under Quality Competition In A Liberalized Vertically Differentiated Market," Journal of Economic Development, Chung-Ang Unviersity, Department of Economics, vol. 30(1), pages 129-150, June.
- Symeonidis, George, 2003.
"Comparing Cournot and Bertrand equilibria in a differentiated duopoly with product R&D,"
International Journal of Industrial Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 21(1), pages 39-55, January.
- George Symeonidis, 2002. "Comparing Cournot and Bertrand Equilibria in a Differentiated Duopoly with Product R&D," Economics Discussion Papers 539, University of Essex, Department of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Gunther Maier).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.