An empirical model of the multi-unit, sequential, clock auction
AbstractWe construct a model of participation and bidding at multi-unit, sequential, clock auctions when bidders have multi-unit demand. We describe conditions sufficient to characterize a symmetric, perfect-Bayesian equilibrium and then demonstrate that this equilibrium induces an efficient allocation. We propose an algorithm, based on the generalized Vickrey auction, to calculate the expected winning bid for each unit sold. This algorithm allows us to construct a simulation-based estimator of the parameters for both the participation process and the distribution of latent valuations. We apply our method to data from 37 multi-lot, sequential, English auctions of export permits for timber held in Russia. Copyright © 2006 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. in its journal Journal of Applied Econometrics.
Volume (Year): 21 (2006)
Issue (Month): 8 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.interscience.wiley.com/jpages/0883-7252/
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Andrews, Donald W K, 1989.
"Power in Econometric Applications,"
Econometric Society, vol. 57(5), pages 1059-90, September.
- Paul Milgrom & Robert J. Weber, 1981.
"A Theory of Auctions and Competitive Bidding,"
447R, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- McAfee R. Preston & Vincent Daniel, 1993. "The Declining Price Anomaly," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 60(1), pages 191-212, June.
- Laffont, J.-J. & Loisel, P. & Robert, J., 1998. "Intra-Day Dynamics in Sequential Auctions: Theory and Estimation," Papers 98.488, Toulouse - GREMAQ.
- Katzman, Brett, 1999. "A Two Stage Sequential Auction with Multi-Unit Demands," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 86(1), pages 77-99, May.
- Estelle Cantillon & Martin Pesendorfer, .
"Combination Bidding in Multi-unit Auctions,"
ULB Institutional Repository
2013/151705, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Octavian Carare, 2012. "Reserve Prices in Repeated Auctions," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 40(3), pages 225-247, May.
- Zulehner, Christine, 2009.
"Bidding behavior in sequential cattle auctions,"
International Journal of Industrial Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 27(1), pages 33-42, January.
- Laurent Lamy, 2010. "Identification and estimation of sequential English auctions," PSE Working Papers halshs-00564887, HAL.
- Ernan Haruvy & Peter Popkowski Leszczyc & Octavian Carare & James Cox & Eric Greenleaf & Wolfgang Jank & Sandy Jap & Young-Hoon Park & Michael Rothkopf, 2008.
"Competition between auctions,"
Springer, vol. 19(3), pages 431-448, December.
- Ernan Haruvy & Peter T. L. Popkowski Leszczyc & Octavian Carare & James C. Cox & Eric A. Greenleaf & Wolfgang Jank & Sandy Jap & Young-Hoon Park & Michael H. Rothkopf, 2008. "Competition Between Auctions," Experimental Economics Center Working Paper Series 2008-02, Experimental Economics Center, Andrew Young School of Policy Studies, Georgia State University.
- Laurent Lamy, 2010. "Identification and estimation of sequential English auctions," Working Papers halshs-00564887, HAL.
- M. Haley, 2010. "Bounding revenue leakages at scale-bid timber auctions: evidence from Wisconsin state forest auctions," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 39(2), pages 427-437, October.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.