Incentives Between Firms (and Within)
AbstractThis paper reviews the significant progress in Üagency theoryÝ (i.e., the economic theory of incentives) during the 1990s, with an eye toward applications to supply transactions. I emphasize six recent models, in three pairs: (1) new foundations for the theory of incentive contracts, (2) new directions in incentive theory, and (3) new applications to supply transactions. By reviewing these six models, I hope to establish three things. First, the theory of incentive contracts needed and received new foundations. Second, new directions in incentive theory teach us that incentive contracts are not the only source of incentives. Finally (and especially relevant to supply transactions), the integration decision is an instrument in the incentive problem.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by INFORMS in its journal Management Science.
Volume (Year): 51 (2005)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
incentives; agency theory; relational contracts; supply transactions;
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Cuñat, Vicente & Guadalupe, Maria, 2006. "Globalization and the Provision of Incentives Inside the Firm," CEPR Discussion Papers 5950, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Vicente Cuñat & Maria Guadalupe, 2009.
"Globalization and the provision of incentives inside the firm: The effect of foreign competition,"
Economics Working Papers
1134, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Vicente Cuñat & Maria Guadalupe, 2009. "Globalization and the Provision of Incentives inside the Firm: The Effect of Foreign Competition," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 27(2), pages 179-212, 04.
- Cuñat, Vicente & Guadalupe, Maria, 2006. "Globalization and the Provision of Incentives Inside the Firm: The Effect of Foreign Competition," IZA Discussion Papers 2408, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- David Martimort & Aggey Semenov & Lars Stole, 2013.
"A Theory of Contracts with Limited Enforcement,"
E1304E, University of Ottawa, Department of Economics.
- Sloof, Randolph & van Praag, C. Mirjam, 2010. "The effect of noise in a performance measure on work motivation: A real effort laboratory experiment," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(5), pages 751-765, October.
- Henry Penikas, 2012. "An Optimal Incentive Contract Preventing Excessive Risk-Taking by a Bank Manager," HSE Working papers WP BRP 03/FE/2012, National Research University Higher School of Economics.
- Thiele, Veikko, 2007.
"Performance measurement in multi-task agencies,"
Research in Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 61(3), pages 148-163, September.
- Anja Schöttner, 2005. "Relational Contracts and Job Design," SFB 649 Discussion Papers SFB649DP2005-052, Sonderforschungsbereich 649, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany.
- Golman, Russell & Bhatia, Sudeep, 2012. "Performance evaluation inflation and compression," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, vol. 37(8), pages 534-543.
- Lacetera, Nicola & Zirulia, Lorenzo, 2012.
"Individual preferences, organization, and competition in a model of R&D incentive provision,"
Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 84(2), pages 550-570.
- Nicola Lacetera & Lorenzo Zirulia, 2011. "Individual Preferences, Organization, and Competition in a Model of R&D Incentive Provision," NBER Working Papers 17031, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Tzioumis, Konstantinos & Gee, Matthew, 2013. "Nonlinear incentives and mortgage officers’ decisions," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 107(2), pages 436-453.
- Saak, Alexander E., 2013. "Traceability and Reputation in Supply Chains," 2013 Annual Meeting, August 4-6, 2013, Washington, D.C. 149988, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Gilliland, David I. & Rudd, John M., 2013. "Control of electronic channel affiliates: An exploratory study and research propositions," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 66(12), pages 2650-2656.
- Goldhaber, Dan & Walch, Joe, 2012. "Strategic pay reform: A student outcomes-based evaluation of Denver's ProComp teacher pay initiative," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 31(6), pages 1067-1083.
- Zhe Zhang & Ming Jia & Difang Wan, 2012. "When does a partner’s reputation impact cooperation effects in partnerships?," Asia Pacific Journal of Management, Springer, vol. 29(3), pages 547-571, September.
- Michael D. Ryall & Rachelle C. Sampson, 2009. "Formal Contracts in the Presence of Relational Enforcement Mechanisms: Evidence from Technology Development Projects," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 55(6), pages 906-925, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mirko Janc).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.